Advance Reservations Required In Florida In March

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by dpierce4, Jan 10, 2010.

1. dpierce4

dpierce4
    Expand Collapse

DW and I are thinking of camping in Florida in March. we will leave Connecticut(brrrrr) about Feb 1st
    Can somebody give me an idea of how crowded Fl is.Here in New England we can more a less find a campground any time we want with a short notice.(2 people,newly retired=campground req. to be safe and clean----not interested in much else.
    Can we travel freely or must we make reservations for the whole month.

Thanks and happy trails

Dennis

Correction----we will leave March 1st ----32' Montana 5th wheel

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Dennis,

You can have the hold state anytime from April on into the summer months. Now the state may sink into the Gulf due to all the people down here. We stay at home his time of year. You can call around and see if anyone has an open site. We see RV units everyplace we go now, good places to eat have cars with tow bars in parking lot, 5th wheel trucks everyplace as well. You may think about places a little north of here like GA as the weather is better than New England and then move on down in April. FL has been in a deep freeze over the past 10 days but warm up is due today.

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We never make reservations (almost never) in Florida and don't have any problems. You may have to search a little. My own unscientific private marketing survey shows the occupany rate to be a little lower than last year which was a bad season. I suspect if you start calling around at noon utilizing the normal campground books, rarely will you ever have to make more than one or two calls.

4. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

With 10s of thousands of RV sites in the state, even if they were all full to begin with enough of the old timers will have made their "last" trip and a site will be open. I would suggest letting your fingers do the walking and research where you really want to be. There are some really good parks in Florida and some really bad ones to even out the Karma. Dream trip or nightmare journey depends a lot on which you choose. I don't recommend random luck. Make a reservation at a well researched park.

5. rosegramma

rosegramma
    Expand Collapse

6. ournextstop

ournextstop
    Expand Collapse

I think rosegramma comments were pretty accurate. I mainly stay in State Parks or military campgrounds and have found this time of the year (before Easter) that you have better luck north of Orlando (I-4 corridor). I recently looked at O'Leno State Park, Talbot Island St Park and Abby Hannah City Park (it is in Jacksonville) and they all had room especially during the week. The nearest weekend was frequently full, but you can avoid that by planning a little ahead. Good luck.