New Site Problems? let us know here..

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Janet H, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Gyropilot

Gyropilot
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Joel,

I was finally able to get the review submitted. Here's what was causing the problem...

Back a couple of days ago when I was first drafting the review, before hitting submit, I copied all of my comments and pasted them into a text file. I usually do this just in case something when goes wrong so I won't have to retype my comments from memory. Well it turned out to be a good idea because indeed the website went down and my submission didn't go through. No problem!

The next day I tried drafting and submitting the review again, but this time I copied and pasted my comments from the saved text file. No matter what I tried, the review submission would fail as described. I even tried using Firefox thinking Safari might have something to do with it.

On a hunch, I redid the review but this time manually retyped my comments, hit submit, and it went through!

Strange no?

John

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

There probably were non-printing control characters embedded in what you were copying and pasting even though it might have looked like clean ASCII text. I've seen that sort of thing before in similar circumstances. You were including characters that the system couldn't handle.

3. lllkrob

lllkrob
    Expand Collapse

Having a problem with this site. The "View on Google Maps" either does not work or shows a location nowhere close to the actual campground location

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I assume you've tried this with more than one campground. Let us know what parks you are trying to look at. We know it does work for many of them.

5. EZgoin'

EZgoin'
    Expand Collapse

Using Safari on iPad, where is LOGOUT? I only see it when on UPDATE PROFILE page, not on home or forum pages.

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Thanks for finding this; I verified that the same problem also exists with Chrome for iPad. I've reported it.

7. Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash
    Expand Collapse

Docj, I am still experiencing this problem. Wasn't sure if it was a problem on my end or not. Not complaining, just wanted to point it out.

8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

The problem is worse than you think it is. If I search for parks within 100 miles of Dayton with NONE of the amenities boxes checked I still only get the Dayton KOA. Something is clearly wrong!

9. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Under forum settings (upper right corner) you should see a logout option.

rvpr logout.jpg

10. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I never would have found that and, if I did, I would have assumed that would only log me out of the forum. Can't we do better than that?

11. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Possibly but until we can, this should work. We're tweaking the big stuff like site performance and stability. ;)

12. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I have tried to get access to the CG I manage to make some changes. I got the message that I would be contacted but it has been a few days with no response. Is there a glitch with that also?

13. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

No this isn't a glitch. this is a new feature and not fully ready yet. You will be contacted but it may be a several weeks :)

In the meantime if you see inaccurate info you can send a note to us via the contact link at the bottom of the page and we get it sorted out.

14. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

The first thing I noticed about the new setup was that the most recent reviews were listed on the opening Home page. Just like the old way, the most recent reviews are list right under the map. I used to be able to look at the right hand side of the new reviews listing and see the STATE where the park was located. I always found that to be the easiest way to start checking for reviews in which I might be interest. Now, I have to go through each line in the list of reviews just to find the STATE. For the way I peruse the new reviews, this is very inconvenient and time consuming.

In short, I do not like the way the most recent reviews list is presented

#74 Jerry S, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    NoSoupForYou and dalsgal like this.
  15. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Holy cow! I log in and everything is changed! I see my login still worked. I have a second login that I forgot that I had. I am going to see if that one still works.

16. JJandCP

JJandCP
    Expand Collapse

And this is DXSMac under the "Other" ID I forgot that I had. Apparently it still works, too!

17. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

My first issue with the new system is the format of the new Home page. I used to bring up the Home page and look down the right side of the recent review listing and there was a CLEAR column with the names of the states where the recent reviews were located. That made it really easy to check see whether or not I might be interested in the review based on the area to which I was going to travel. Now I have to look at each individual review listed to find the state in which it is located. For the way I check out the reviews, this is not a customer friendly way to list the new reviews.

NoSoupForYou likes this.
  18. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Maybe someone is working on this but seems some of the reviews amount and the posted totals don't seem to match, one example would be one of my favorite VT campgrounds, Barrewood Campground, Westfield Vermont.

The old RVPR site this summer had 4 reviews posted, now says 5 reviews posted but only 3 actually showing.

Mike

19. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

This might be happening because the system is counting submitted reviews that have not yet posted and/or reviews that have been deferred. Regardless of the reason, it is not right for it to show a count of 5, but only display 3, and I have no idea what happened to the forth one. But we'll look into it. Thanks for letting us know and most importantly, for providing a specific example.

20. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Here's a minor issue to put on the "When we get a chance." list: The RSS feed of the new reviews used to include the rating for each review on the subject line. The new feed does not include the rating at all, even in the body of the feed, requiring clicking on the link to the site to find it. Knowing the rating up front makes it easier to decide whether to click and read more about a given listing. As I said, not a biggy though.

Thanks for all the hard work that goes into a major redesign like this! I've been involved in over a hundred site roll-outs of varying complexity, and I'm all too familiar with what goes into getting everything to look and work right. And then make it look and work right on the all the various browser and operating system combinations out there. Even with several hundred site beta testers, I've had more bugs show up after we went public than we never anticipated. Great job everyone!