Obamacare Sign-up Design Team

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Beastdriver, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Folks, I know the people at RV Park Reviews have worked very hard to get this new site up and running but I have to ask a question: Did you, by chance, employ the same folks who designed the Obamacare website???? Seriously, at least for me, this is a disaster. I can't wait until you get it straightened out.

#1 Beastdriver, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We are working to fix bugs, but we don't consider the new website to be a disaster by any stretch of the imagination. If there are specific things you don't like about the new site, let us know the issue and your proposed solution and we'll consider the idea after this first round of bugs is dealt with.

3. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I don't like the way the recently reviewed CG's show up. I don't like having to scan each row to see where the CG's. On that section I see no reason to list the reviewers name. I also don't like that it still shows popular cg's nearby when they are not. I'm trying to like the site but, so far, I don't enjoy it nearly as much. I think more glitches should have been worked out before it went live.

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

All websites are compromises and this one is no different. Several people have asked if the recent reviews list could start with the state and we've forwarded that request to the development team to see if it is possible. Having the reviewers name on the review line I doubt is something that causes a real problem; it's just a change from the way things were.

As for the "popular nearby list" it already has been deleted from the "high resolution" version of the home page. Whatever device you are accessing the site with is using the "low res" homepage version, but the "nearby" list will be removed from it shortly also.

There really was a lot of debugging that went on before the site went live; unfortunately with complex software projects it often isn't possible to find all the bugs before opening the site to public use. Your patience is appreciated and we regret any inconvenience you may be experiencing.

5. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

First I take exception to the reference to Obamacare. This site has been good about keeping political issues out. Next change is hard. I don't like having to learn new things but change is inevitable. New things don't always work well the first time. Being an old race car mechanic I can tell you we never won the race first time out. There are always bugs that need to be fixed. I also don't like the way new reviews are posted but that is probably the way the new program runs it. I will just have to get used to it like the rest of the program. I don't like a lot about the new system but that is because I am not used to using it and have to learn it and get used to it.

6. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Ned, with all due respect, I do not think this is political at all. My comparison was with the folks who designed the Obamacare website. It said nothing, pro or con, about Obamacare, but just the design of a website. And, I must say, the more I try to use it, the more it reminds me of that infamous site--not politics, not the Plan itself, but just the website as earlier stated. Just as they did with the Obamacare site, I am sure the folks at RV Park Reviews will eventually get this straightened out but, gee whiz, I sure wish they could have run the old site side by side with the new one until all the bugs got out of the new one.

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

With all due respect, you've yet to state specifically what you dislike about the site nor have you helped us by identifying additional bugs we could be fixing. IMHO it's easy to make glib comparisons and generalizations and much more time consuming to provide constructive criticism which could aid us in making the site better.

Even before we went live I posted on several RV discussion forums a request to help us by identifying bugs and making suggestions for improvement. We'd be happy for your help.

8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

How do I switch between the high and low resolution. I want to switch to low on my tablet.

9. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

At present there is no way to switch. The site software recognizes devices as able to run the full software (with map) or the more limited mobile version (without map). I've been told that here's nothing a user can do to make that change himself (although I don't know if reducing screen resolution might have an impact.

10. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

OK, thanks, I am seeing a different view on my tablet and my laptop. I even get a different view on portrait and landscape on my tablet. When on the road, we use the tablet as it is phone capable also and useful in helping to select campgrounds.