In And Out Park

Discussion in 'Park Management' started by Quailhunter, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Quailhunter

Quailhunter
    Expand Collapse

I have a piece of property on I-45 North about 25 miles North of Houston, Texas. It would not lend itself to being a destination camp ground. It would, however be a perfect spot for an "overnite" full hookup, pull thru type location that would accommodate big rigs. NO amenities (bathrooms, pool, clubhouse, etc.) It would have full sewer, 50 and 30 amp service, water, cable, and wifi. It is a VERY EASY on and off of the Interstate going either North or South.My idea is to make this so someone could pull in and receive a gate code and site # and stay for the night or longer if needed. They would pay by credit card over the phone and receive instructions. The Woodlands, Tx is about two miles south, a full rv service center across the highway and more restaurants than you could shake a stick at.

So----I need the good, the bad and the ugly on what you folks think. There is nothing else ON THE FREEWAY or even very close.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Blessings,
    Quailhunter

2. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Quailhunter @ Aug 4 2014, 07:06 PM) [snapback]37602[/snapback]

I have a piece of property on I-45 North about 25 miles North of Houston, Texas. It would not lend itself to being a destination camp ground. It would, however be a perfect spot for an "overnite" full hookup, pull thru type location that would accommodate big rigs. NO amenities (bathrooms, pool, clubhouse, etc.) It would have full sewer, 50 and 30 amp service, water, cable, and wifi. It is a VERY EASY on and off of the Interstate going either North or South.My idea is to make this so someone could pull in and receive a gate code and site # and stay for the night or longer if needed. They would pay by credit card over the phone and receive instructions. The Woodlands, Tx is about two miles south, a full rv service center across the highway and more restaurants than you could shake a stick at.

So----I need the good, the bad and the ugly on what you folks think. There is nothing else ON THE FREEWAY or even very close.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Blessings,
    Quailhunter

I think the basic concept is good but you would need someone there to watch the place or you would have people giving the gate code out, tearing the place up and all sorts of abuse.

3. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I don't see how it can work without someone, on premise, to watch things. You could possibly have one person paying their fee and having all their friends come in for a huge, inexpensive party place. Personally, I wouldn't want a place where I would give my card number to if there was no way of knowing that I was only going to get the park fee and nothing else and no way to contact anyone to fight the charge if there was a problem.

What if the water lines break, the power goes off or there is a problem with cable and WiFi? Someone needs to be there to handle those problems.

It is an idea that needs lots of work.

4. WVA3185

WVA3185
    Expand Collapse

There is an RV park at Hardeeville, SC that is similar to what you are wanting to do. They do have an office but every time I have been there it is generally unoccupied. They have their rates listed and you can leave an envelope in the door or call a number and someone will help you. The key is to make sure that someone is answering the phone. It has been awhile since I have been there so it may not be the same as it was. The only amenities besides what you listed as providing was a laundry. You might give them a call and see if they would be of any assistance.

5. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

Have been to campgrounds run by the city that you honor pay. But none of them had Cable TV or Wi-Fi. So not so bad not having someone there. Have had ones with a number to call if a problem. But even better, could hire several workampers. Work so many hours for their site, FHUs, cable TV and Wi-Fi.

6. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

You need to check with the state, county and city officials as to the viability of your plan. For example, many states require restroom facilities, since they know without them people will do some pretty nasty things. I would imagine your liability would be sky high with the property completely unattended. As just an observation, most parks I stay in almost always has someone in the office with some kind of problem on a daily basis. They need this or that. Or something isn't working. With no office or contact person on site, those people's frustration level will rise and eventually something bad will happen. It wouldn't be a place I would use, Walmart is cheaper and with the exception of power, offers about the same thing. I stay at parks for the amenities, not in spite of them. BTW, putting in the infrastructure is going to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars (roads, pads, utilities, fencing) so why wouldn't you go the extra step and make it a real RV park?

7. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

There's a self service campground in Red Bay Al. that seems to work very well..........

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/view_campgrou...Service-RV-Park

There are NO restrooms / showers....NO amenities besides SW&E......NO attendant... just a contact phone # that's good 24X7.... I've been to Red Bay many many times ....and the c/g is always full and you never hear of any problems or unhappy campers.

I don't see the need for restrooms / showers ( if you rent to real RV's ONLY )...or the need for an full time attendant if there is nothing to be fixed.

8. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Aug 5 2014, 10:12 AM) [snapback]37615[/snapback]

There's a self service campground in Red Bay Al. that seems to work very well..........

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/view_campgrou...Service-RV-Park

There are NO restrooms / showers....NO amenities besides SW&E......NO attendant... just a contact phone # that's good 24X7.... I've been to Red Bay many many times ....and the c/g is always full and you never hear of any problems or unhappy campers.

I don't see the need for restrooms / showers ( if you rent to real RV's ONLY )...or the need for an full time attendant if there is nothing to be fixed.

I wouldn't doubt it stays full due to the fact it gets a lot of business due to it's location next to the Tiffin repair facility. That and the fact that with only 10 sites, it is 10% full if one person is there. A park out on the interstate near nothing that draws RVs would be a different story. That requires advertising and even if you just went with 2 highway billboards and a listing in the Good Sam directory, you will need several hundred camper nights at $20 a night just to cover the advertising. You are also giving up a significant percentage of potential customers if you limit the park to fully self contained RVs. There are a lot of popups, teardrops and other rigs that don't have full bathroom facilities. On top of that, you never know when something is going to break, so you do need a 24 hour contact available, otherwise you could have major problems.

9. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Well....obviously you haven't been to Red Bay Al. This self service park is in the middle of no-where in a dry county.....miles from any major highways....its NOT just Tiffins that spend time there. I've seen OB class A coaches as well as 5th wheels and class C units there. Its first come first serve honor system....and it works very well.

IMO a short stay campground on a BUSY interstate .... that's easy on/off and has a decent sign easily seen from the highway will draw RV's and doesn't need to advertise . I agree that you never know when something is going to break.....but if its a self service c/g and all you have is a power pedestal ...water faucet and a sewer pipe on site.....with no other amenities. Why would you need a work force ?

Hey.....there is always the next full service campground for non self contained units if a self service isn't for you.

10. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Aug 5 2014, 11:12 AM) [snapback]37615[/snapback]

RV means Recreational Vehicle. That doesn't must mean large 5th wheels or motor homes. A pop up is a "real RV" and so are other types.

11. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Aug 5 2014, 08:04 PM) [snapback]37626[/snapback]

Well....obviously you haven't been to Red Bay Al. This self service park is in the middle of no-where in a dry county.....miles from any major highways....its NOT just Tiffins that spend time there. I've seen OB class A coaches as well as 5th wheels and class C units there. Its first come first serve honor system....and it works very well.

IMO a short stay campground on a BUSY interstate .... that's easy on/off and has a decent sign easily seen from the highway will draw RV's and doesn't need to advertise . I agree that you never know when something is going to break.....but if its a self service c/g and all you have is a power pedestal ...water faucet and a sewer pipe on site.....with no other amenities. Why would you need a work force ?

Hey.....there is always the next full service campground for non self contained units if a self service isn't for you.

You still have to mow and water the grass, empty the trash, clean the sites, make sure that someone hasn't decided to stay for free for a start. Traveling at 70 MPH you need more than the sign on park property. By the time you see the signs you will be past the exit. And how is that single sign going to convey what the park and isn't? Lots of PO'ed people who exit only to find no facilities, no popups allowed, no security, etc. But if someone is willing to invest the money for the infrastructure to see if it will work and they can secure the necessary permits go for it.

12. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Aug 5 2014, 10:16 PM) [snapback]37627[/snapback]

RV means Recreational Vehicle. That doesn't must mean large 5th wheels or motor homes. A pop up is a "real RV" and so are other types.

A BOAT and a JET SKI are considered RV's . Does that mean ALL campgrounds need to have a lake ??

13. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Here's a link to information about the self-pay one night only "RV Lots" operated by the Ohio Turnpike Commission:

Ohio Turnpike RV Lots

14. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Aug 5 2014, 10:48 PM) [snapback]37628[/snapback]

You still have to mow and water the grass, empty the trash, clean the sites, make sure that someone hasn't decided to stay for free for a start. Traveling at 70 MPH you need more than the sign on park property. By the time you see the signs you will be past the exit. And how is that single sign going to convey what the park and isn't? Lots of PO'ed people who exit only to find no facilities, no popups allowed, no security, etc. But if someone is willing to invest the money for the infrastructure to see if it will work and they can secure the necessary permits go for it.

Ok.....next time I'm in Red Bay I'll stop at the self service c/g and call the owner on the 24X7 phone and tell him his successfully operated business that's been there for many many years .......WILL NOT WORK !

15. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Aug 6 2014, 06:55 AM) [snapback]37631[/snapback]

Ok.....next time I'm in Red Bay I'll stop at the self service c/g and call the owner on the 24X7 phone and tell him his successfully operated business that's been there for many many years .......WILL NOT WORK !

I give. Best idea ever. It will sweep the nation. I am sure the guy in Red Bay has turned down many opportunities to turn his gold mine idea into a national chain to rival McDonalds. Sure makes all those fools who run full service RV parks look like idiots. They sure are doing a lot of work for nothing. They should all just tear down their buildings, put in an honor pay box and rake in the cash while lying on the beach.

16. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

NEVER said it should be a substitute for full service C/G's. Just the fact that it DOES work in more then 1 instance.

I'm not the guy in Red Bays accountant nor know what his bottom line is.....but he's been there for a number of years....and the place is still open. So you can assume its profitable.

Hey .....It may just sweep the nation. You never know what the future may bring...it could be as easy as going to RED BOX to get a movie. Swipe a current membership card and your in.

17. BoomerNY

BoomerNY
    Expand Collapse

25 miles north of Houston puts you around Spring (if I'm right)... Here's my thought: if someone is rv'ing that far south in Texas, they're maybe an hour and a half from Galveston and Freeport (gulf destinations). I45 is the main funnel route headed towards gulf spots. Im guessing that once people get that far south, they've planned their arrival to those areas, and aren't thinking about pulling over for the night being that close to their destination. My disclaimer is I'm unfamiliar with the camping possibilities that far south in Texas. If you were 60 miles north of Houston, or even in Conroe, I'd think it'd be a more viable spot for an overnight rv spot.

If I'm planning a road trip that far south, I'm not planning on getting there at 3am, and probably not wanting to stop when I'm that close.

What you're hoping to catch is rv's in late afternoon that don't want to fight Houston rush hour at 5pm.

Just my opinion. I'm sure SOMEONE will tell me I'm wrong soon...

:D

18. Rlee

Rlee
    Expand Collapse

19. Rlee

Rlee
    Expand Collapse

HARDEEVILLE RV ... I found them to be totally disconnected from the RV park, and impossible to get a hold of by phone. They flat REFUSE to return calls, and you have no idea which spot is acceptable or not !
    When you DO find them there ... they are NOT friendly.

I will never stay there again !

20. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

A quick note. What about having those pedistals installed that the truckers can use at some truck stops? They provide electric service at a per hour basis, about a $1.00/hr. And you can purchase the service via the internet or phone.

Check out shorepower:
    http://www.shorepower.com