Problem Submitting Review in the New Format

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Jim22, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Jim22

Jim22
    Expand Collapse

I just attempted to submit a review for the Harris Street RV Park in Kilgore, TX. After clicking the submit button, the review page appeared again, minus my comments. I had forgotten my site number and left the field blank, and assumed it returned because this data was missing. I re-entered my comments, entered do not remember for the site number, and clicked Submit again. The review page appeared again. Possibly, I had overlooked something else. If so, it would be a big help to be prompted like the older format did.
    Jim

2. Gyropilot

Gyropilot
    Expand Collapse

Jim,

By chance at any point did you PASTE text into the comment field?

John

3. Jim22

Jim22
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I did. I use that approach so I can compose using Word and then review my comments the next day before submission. It worked with the old format. However, typing my comments in the boxes did not help. I still have the same problem.

Jim

4. Jim22

Jim22
    Expand Collapse

I wondered if a missing entry could have caused the problem, so just submitted a very brief review for the Split Rail RV Park in Quartzsite, AZ making a minor update to the price. I deliberately didn't indicate the site number to see if a missing entry was the problem. It was accepted. Is there a maximum length (though I doubt if my review was that long)?
    Jim

5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

There is a maximum length but I doubt you were at it.

I think the problem you encountered in pasting was that your text included some non-printing control characters that Word uses for formatting purposes but which the RVPR system can't process. If you tried typing that new review in AFTER you had already tried pasting it, the screen might have had some of those even though you couldn't see them.

The old system probably didn't notice the control characters so you had not previously experienced this issue, but I've seen it on other websites. The work around is to write your review using Notepad or some other app that only saves in TXT format. You can get Word to save as TXT and I think it will be free of control characters, but I've not tried it myself.

6. Jim22

Jim22
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your suggestion. I retyped my review using Wordpad and copied and pasted, and received the "Thank you" reply. Now that I'm successful, I'll try saving my next review (currently in Word) as a RTF document, then open it and copy and paste again.
    Jim

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Jim:
    Be careful, you may need to save the document as TXT rather than RTF. My understanding is that there are still control characters present in RTF. I might be wrong but I don't want you to have to re-type your review again!
    Joel

8. RVWriter

RVWriter
    Expand Collapse

My review did the same thing and I didn't paste anything. This web site is just CRAP!

9. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

If you can provide us with more information about what happened it would help us diagnose the problem so others will benefit. If your comment resulted from other things you don't like about the website, let us know what they are. We appreciate the feedback and are making changes in response to user input.

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Going back to the original post:

I see where your review for the Harris Street RV Park is posted, so I'm glad you were finally successful. However, it does sound like you had omitted some information in the review form which was causing it to be rejected. I agree that the system does not do the best job of informing you what is missing. I have asked for the field with the information missing to be highlighted in red so that the omission is more visible.

Also the system absolutely should not be dropping the reviewer's comments when revision is needed. I just tested this, and my comments were not dropped, and I had added the comments by pasting them from Word, but I will report it happened to you.

Filling in the site number is optional so leaving it blank should not cause the review to be rejected. In fact all the items that are presented below the comments box are optional and leaving those items blank should not keep your review from being submitted. I just tested this, and it appear to be working correctly.

I do recommend typing your comments (especially if they are long) into a word processor and then pasting them into the comments box. I use Word and have no trouble copying and pasting from that program.

We are constantly trying to work out the bugs, so please try to submit more reviews and let us know if you have trouble.

11. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I had the same problem. I am trying to submit a review and it keeps coming back to me, I don't get a "submitted" message. I put some "quotes" in my text, I like to do that for effect. I'll see if removing the quotes helps. Also, under "features" I didn't check any boxes because my site didn't have any of those "features." I hope there is no requirement to have to "check" something that I don't have.

Ok, removing quotes from my text didn't help. And checking "patio" under "features" didn't help either. I didn't have a patio, but I checked the box just to see if it was required.

Oh yeah, what is "tips" and where will it show on the review? I had put in a comment about a particular site in a park that people should not take, decided to move it to "tips" to see what would happen.

12. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Did you by any chance write your review in a text editor and then copy/paste it into the review form? A few people have done this and have reported symptoms similar to what you are describing. The problem is that word processing programs such as Word have non-printing control characters embedded in them. If this is relevant to your situation, try doing your copy and paste in a TXT editor such as Notepad.

13. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Nope, I did it manually. Just typed my comments into the box. Wouldn't go.

14. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I finally got my review to go, but found another issue. I had originally put something in "add a tip." It was a blurb about, "don't take a certain site because of issues." When I took the blurb out of the "tip" box and put it in the "review" box, review went!

15. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

That's odd since we've definitely received reviews with entries in the Tip's box. Can't figure out why yours would be any different.