New Site Problems? let us know here..

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Janet H, Nov 13, 2014.

1. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I know I said this wasn't a big issue for me, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that the RSS subject lines DO now include the ratings for the new reviews. I'm guessing this was an easy fix on your end due to the speed that it appeared, but a big "Thank You!" anyway. Keep up the good work, we do appreciate it, even if we don't always say so...

2. travelnurse

travelnurse
    Expand Collapse

I love the new site. Will the reviewers be able to post pictures of campsites now?

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Yes, you can upload pictures at any time. Just go to the campground's listing and click on upload photo.

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Issue #3 with the new system: Another "change" that was not explained/announced. Why weren't we advised that all our "profile" information would disappear? It would have been nice to know that we needed to update this information.

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I am using an android smartphone. I dont see a map of the U.S. on the home page (understandable, too much info), but i also dont see a state map when a state is selected. I flip the device from vertical to landscape viewing with no change. Is there something i need to set on my phone to see this map?

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

My understanding is that there are essential two "versions" of the software simultaneously in use. One is for devices with larger displays and one is for mobile devices. The mobile device version has no maps, so if your device is using that version you won't see either the home page or state maps.

I just checked all our devices. The laptops, iPad and Android Nexus all see the maps (as long as the tablets are in landscape mode.) Neither of our Android smartphones (S4 and S4 mini) can see the maps.

7. PERRELLAS

PERRELLAS
    Expand Collapse

I just searched for rv parks within 100 miles of Gloversville, NY with no other filters and NO parks were found. I know there are parks. Why doesn't rv park reviews know that?

8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We are having search issues with some cities in some states (but not all of them). I'll forward your issue to the development team. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

9. Teardrop11

Teardrop11
    Expand Collapse

I am a brand new member. I am using a Macintosh with Safari. I have repeatedly tried to submit a campground review. Every time I push "Submit" the browser returns to the same page. There is no indication as to why the review was not submitted. I filled in all the entries. I typed the comments and tips directly into the fields provided. In one of the forums it was indicated that cutting and pasting comments not in "TXT" format could be a problem. I cut out my comments, pasted them into a text editor, saved as text and re-pasted into the review. Nothing helped.

10. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We're aware of a bug which causes the system not to let you know why it won't accept your review; the development team is working on a fix.

In the meantime.....

If you didn't refresh the page when you removed your comments and went through the text editor and back again, it's possible that there still were non-printing characters left on the page. You wouldn't know that because they don't display.

If trying again with a fresh page doesn't help then double-check to make sure you have included the nightly price and the bathroom and shower conditions.

If none of this helps please send a message to the help desk with your username and email address. They will help resolve the problem. Sorry for the inconvenience.

11. Teardrop11

Teardrop11
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the suggestion. I refreshed the page, made sure I had filled in every field, checked something in ever category and reloaded the text with no success. However, I have some new information. The campground I was commenting upon was a new one that was not on your list until I added it. (It's a really nice campground that folks should know about.) When I submitted reviews for two campgrounds that were already on your list and previously commented upon by others, my reviews were accepted. Maybe the issue is not something to do with "TXT" but rather arises when a newbie like me tries to add a campground to your list.

I appreciate the service your website provides and would like to contribute my part so others may benefit as I have. I'll leave you alone now and look forward to the coming improvements as y'all continue to work out the bugs. Thanks.

12. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Issue #4: The home pages for each state have, along with the map and the most recent reviews, several lists that are unexplained. These are: Highly Rated (name of state) Campgrounds, Popular Campgrounds in (name of state), and Popular Camping Destinations. There is NO explanation of how these were determined, what criteria were used to make these rankings, or any other guidelines for the viewer to make any beneficial use of these listings. Overlooking the fact the use of the word "campground" is inaccurate in reference to many of the parks on these lists, the lists have no meaning unless they are explained. I think I can figure out how the" Popular Destinations" list was determined, but just because a town/city has 5 "campgrounds" does not mean it is a more popular destination than a town/city with only 2 "campgrounds". 4 of those 5 "campgrounds" may be 95% permanent residents sites which hardly makes them popular destinations.

13. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Test to see if my new avatar shows all states.

14. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Your resolution is better but still is too coarse.

15. okdiver

okdiver
    Expand Collapse

How about a legend on the home page. What is with the yellow and red and blue dots. What do they mean? New web page looks nice, but I think the old one was more functional.

16. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

The colored circles/dots are areas where there is a concentration of RV parks. Remember on the old maps there were were pins on top of pins on top of pins, and it was difficult to see exactly where the parks were located. This system uses a circle when there are lots of parks in one area, and the number in the center of the circle indicates how many parks it stands for. Each time you click on the circle, the system zooms in closer to that area until eventually pins are displayed for each individual park. We think this is a better method for displaying the location of parks. Hope you think so, too.

17. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

This question about the colored dots on the map in the preceding posts is another example of a feature of the new system that lacked any explanation of how to use the feature and/or what the purpose of the feature is. I've found at least a dozen such "what the hell is this" features so far and have received no explanation of any of those that I have reported in this forum to date.

18. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Jerry:

In this particular case, I think the assumption was that people would click on the map and quickly see that the colored areas are "concentrations" of RV parks. These days I think most people have enough web surfing experience to click on things to see how they work without detailed explanations of each feature necessarily being provided.

Joel

19. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

This reminds me of a 76 year old friend who bought a Kindle earlier this year from Amazon. He opened the package to find nothing but his brand new Kindle Fire 7. There was not a scrap of paper with any sort of instructions. Fortunately, a neighbor had an older Kindle and was able to help him at least turn the device on and get started. Evidently, he was expected to know how to operate the device with no instructions. In this case, Amazon assumed this customer intrinsically knew how to use the Kindle. What a stupid customer! He was also supposed to know that there are instructions on the internet. You want paper instructions? What are you? A Neanderthal?

20. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I'm sure your friend's Kindle probably booted to a screen that was something like "Welcome to your new Kindle" and which would have walked the new user through the setup process. Computers have been sold this way for years; there were no instruction shipped with my new laptop. For at reader, which is essentially a book, doesn't it seem a bit absurd to ship a printed instruction book with it? How 20th century! :D