Suggestion for the new site

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Swamp Rat, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Swamp Rat

Swamp Rat
    Expand Collapse

First off, let me say that I really enjoy the new format. It is easy to navigate and, in my opinion, much easier to view.

I would like to suggest that you make it possible to break down the reviews of a particular park by clicking on the Excellent, Good, Average, etc. button so that I could see all of those specific ratings that have been submitted for that park. In other words, if I wanted to review all of the average reviews together, I would click on the average bar and I could compare all average reviews at once.

This would be similar to the current method which is used to separate motorhome and fifth wheel reviews.

Thanks for the great site.

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

That's an excellent suggestion and I'll pass it along to the development team. Thanks for being an RVPR member.

3. Swamp Rat

Swamp Rat
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, Joel.

4. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

There is currently an option to sort reviews by rating (best to worst). Are you suggesting that we break these into groups based on rating?

rvpr_sort.jpg

5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I think what he's suggesting is like you can do on Amazon and TripAdvisor which is to read all the "1" reviews, all the "2's", etc. I often read the very bad reviews first to find out something's weaknesses. Using a listing by ranking doesn't quite do the same thing.

6. Swamp Rat

Swamp Rat
    Expand Collapse

Exactly, Joel. What I am suggesting is to make it sortable just like Amazon and Tripadvisor. When I am researching a campground I would like to be able to read all of the poor reviews together and all of the great reviews together. This would assist me in determining if I want to stay at that particular park.

If the low reviews all say that the showers do not have hot water, then I can reasonably assume that there is a problem with the showers and therefore I would avoid that park. Likewise, if the poor reviews are based on the fact that it rained, the wind blew too much, or there were to many grasshoppers, or the pond did not have enough fish, etc., then I can probably ignore these reviews.

The current ability to arrange the reviews by the rating button (high to low) is good. But I am trying to look at this from a long-term perspective. In the future it is possible that some of the more popular campgrounds could have hundreds, if not thousands (we hope) of reviews. Utilizing the method I described would allow easier sorting of these reviews when there are more and more reviews for a particular campground.

I hope this hopes to clarify what I was suggesting.

Thanks

7. MovinOnDownTheRoad

MovinOnDownTheRoad
    Expand Collapse

Unlike some of the others here, I hate this new site. I find it much harder to locate campgrounds in the area. Wish you just go back to your old site or at least give us an option to use either.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm sorry to hear you don't like our new site, but the old site had lots of problems and a major update was needed. I do not think there will be the option to use the old site again.

If you are having trouble using the new site and if you will explain or give us an example of the trouble you had locating a campground, maybe we can help you find things easier. At least we will be glad to try.

9. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Some people don't realize that you can go to the main search screen by clicking on GO next to the search bar. From the main screen you can perform searches around any location you type in the search bar. That's no different than the search capability that existed with the old site. In addition, you can click on the list of amenities to the left if you wish to further refine your search.

10. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Joel, maybe the programmers could add an "Advanced Search" link to the right of the "Go" button? That might make it a bit more obvious, even if it does the same thing as hitting "Go" without entering a search term. Something like the RV.net forum search layout.

11. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Dutch:

Our development team is still working on a revision of the Search function. It has numerous issues and this is but just one of them. Your suggestion is a good one and I'll pass it along.

Joel

12. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, Joel. I know they're working on getting all the kinks out. Please let them know we do appreciate the hard work they're doing.

13. pcmike

pcmike
    Expand Collapse

I can not find that feature on the site. Could you tell me where it is please?

14. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

When you have searched for a specific RV park and have been presented with a list of reviews, just below the "summary" chart where it says the number of reviews (for example, 130 reviews) look to the right of the column and there is a drop-down box labeled "Sort By" and select rating.

15. USMCRET

USMCRET
    Expand Collapse

Joel, is there a way to contact someone who has submitted a review that you may have a question about? If that functionality is there, I haven't discovered it yet.

Love the new format!

16. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

At the moment the best way to do that would be to contact that person via a PM on the forum. Once you have his/her user name, use the Forum Settings/Conversations link at the top of any forum page and then click on the link for Start A Conversation. Enter the person's username and write your message.