That must be the record!

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Traveling man, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

I just read a review and it said the reviewer had 7268 reviews. I thought it was an error, as one would have to stay at a new park every night for 20 years, but sure enough they have pages of reviews that go back to January 1970. Now thats dedication! Many of us rely on the site, and appreciate the hard work that goes into it. What is the history of RV Park Reviews? I picture several of the original members sitting around a picnic table discussing the pros and cons of various parks, and someone making the comment "you know, there really ought to be a website where we can find out about the parks before we arrive", but know it must be more complicated.

2. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

Odd because the site has not been around that long I believe.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

The account you saw is for admin purposes. When the switch was made to the new site, there were problems with getting some reviews to transfer. These were mostly really old reviews and usually they were missing information that did not allow them to transfer. For example, prior to 2004 reviews did not have the month that someone stayed at a park. They contained only the year. These reviews would not transfer correctly to the new site. In order to keep them in the system, they were put under this admin account. And yes, some of these show a date of 1970, which is just one example of the problems we had with them. I don't think the intent is to leave them in this account. I think the programmers are trying to work out a way to handle them.

As for the history of the site, I'm not sure of the exact date RVPR was started, but I think the previous owner was running it by around 2001 or 2002. I'm not sure whether he actually started the site or if he purchased it from someone else, but I do know that he remained the owner until just last year when he sold it to Social Knowledge, LLC. Maybe someone else can add to this.

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I remember reading reviews on the old site from Lake George Escape Campground, NY dating back to 2000. I thought they were kind of odd, The review endings didn't even say the customary "we camped in a TT, FW etc"

Mike

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Well, if you look at the oldest posts in the forum, they are from March 2003. Its fun to look at these old posts and see what concerned campers over 11 years ago.

Just for fun, what is the record for the most legitimate reviews?

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I think Jerry S holds the record at 531 and counting.

7. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

As far as the history of this site, i checked the internet archive Wayback Machine, (https://web.archive.org/web/20010310062211/https://www.campgroundreviews.com/) and the first time this site was crawled was march 2001. It was REALLY rough back then, but still has alot of the features we enjoy.
    It must have been around a while before then, though, since it already had over 15K of visitors.

Later,
    Cg

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Wow, that was interesting to see. Thanks for sharing. There's no doubt the site has changed.

9. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

Yes, very interesting! They did not even have any reviews from my state (NM) or no-one was allowed to live to tell about it. I see a "telephone" was offered for $2 a night as one of a park's features. I've never seen that- must have been a land-line with a dial tone for local calls?

10. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

Wow. Looked at the old site and so few reviews. Big change from that to today. Thanks

11. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Wow, thanks for the link, obviously back then they were not enforcing the 6 month window for posting a review.

Found the 2000 review that I remember from Lake George Escape Campground. It was posted on the Feb 2002 RVPR site.

"Nice campground but pricy. Some roads awfully hard to drive thru when park is full. 2000"

Mike