First time ever by

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by Rogers_band_of_hippys, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Rogers_band_of_hippys

Rogers_band_of_hippys
    Expand Collapse

Please help any and all tips hints well be appreciated.

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum!

help with....

Mike

3. Rogers_band_of_hippys

Rogers_band_of_hippys
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for lol just in general we just bought this RV and can't wait to use it. Yes it's old and yes it needs work but my wife and are planning our first trip to Port Aransas. TX. So any and all tips from connecting stuff up to what to look for in a good RV Park.

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

First, you happen to be on one of the best sites for honest campground reviews, Just get use to moving around on the site and you will be able to research the campgrounds that fit your needs. Also please contribute your own reviews to the site, we all benefit from the total sum of everyone's reviews.

If you doing your first trip might want it to be a few hrs away just so you can get an idea on how your rv operates. a lot of the bigger campgrounds have well stocked camp stores so if your in need of a gray water/black water fitting or something similar there's a good chance you will find it in the camp store.

If you run into a problem at the campground with your Rv, don't be shy about asking your neighbors for help, chances are you will get more help than you ever expect.

Please read and follow all the campground rules & policies, 90% of the rules are common sense, but the other 10% are usually not or are different from campground to campground.

What I have done is make a camping journal, write down all info concerning reservation dates, confirmation #, deposits,names etc, etc This helps with planning down the road or if you need to change a reservation.

Also make a list of things that you think you will need a few weeks before your trip and keep adding things to the list as your trip date approaches.

I'm from CT, but Lots of good folks on this site that can offer more help from your area.

Hope this helps, :)
    Mike

#4 mdcamping, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Believe it or not, our very first RV trip was to Port Aransas many years ago. We still like to go there. How far away are you from Port A? As someone else said, it is good to go a short distance the first time out so that you can get used to your RV and how to set everything up. Be sure to arrive in daylight. It is the pits to set up in the dark.

There are several good RV parks in the area. Use our site to look them up. You did not say if you have a trailer or a motorhome/tow car, but there are at least two parks right in town so that you can walk to restaurants and shops. Keep in mind that unless your RV is very small (van type or small class C) it will be difficult driving it around for sight seeing and parking at attractions and restaurants. If you have them, bikes are a great way to get around.

If you are not familiar with the area, just be aware that if you plan to get to there on Hwy 361 from the north through Aransas Pass, you will have to use a free ferry to get to the island. They can handle large RVs, but I just thought I should mention it. If you go through Corpus Christi over to the island, it will be all bridges.

Also you did not say exactly when you would be going, but keep in mind that Spring Break is a really big deal down there. They would have to pay us to go there then, but hey, if you like a big college party, great, but make your reservations early.

Hope you have a great trip.

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We've spent the past 4 winters in Port Aransas at the Pioneer RV Resort. It's about 3 miles south of Port Aransas and has it's own private beach access. Until Spring Break the town is pretty quiet and it's only a ~25 minute drive to the shopping areas of Corpus Christi.

7. Rogers_band_of_hippys

Rogers_band_of_hippys
    Expand Collapse

We are in Tulsa Oklahoma we were in Port Aransas last summer We fell in love the area. Yes I agree a short trip first we would like to get before spring break...

8. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Rogers> I love your Avatar. I will be sending it to all of my non-cooking buddies. :)

9. Mt92

Mt92
    Expand Collapse

Hi Rogers my wife and I just bought our first rv and are now in Florida. I can say on my first ever trip is 1 learn to watch your gauges and 2 have a tool box. Oh yeah and as my wife says check each others double checking. My first trip wasn't without issues in our old Dutchman 93 but I like Chevy trucks. Another bit is just remember some parts stores are open on Sundays. And when your waiting for your new altanator to show up the next day ask the manager if you can overnight in the parking lot.

10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Just want to add that if this is your first RV a really BIG thing to learn is that an RV doesn't stop or maneuver like a regular car or truck does. Take a few minutes to adjust to this before you hit the open road. You probably already know all this but just in case you didn't I thought I'd toss in my three cents worth here.................

Safe travels and have fun...........BankShot

11. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I wonder what happened to this guy. He hasn't been on here since Jan 2015. I hope he didn't have an accident on his first trip out.

12. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Not to judge a book by its cover, or should I say an avatar by its name, perhaps he and his band of hippies/hippys got to smoking some really good stuff and never returned home. They are out there somewhere having the RV time of their lives............... :eek:. In all seriousness I hope they didn't get into an accident of some kind on their initial trip, if they ever did take one.............???

13. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry...

If I was a betting man either the trip didn't go as planned or not at all

Mike