Posting a park review

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by gobigred, Jan 19, 2015.

1. gobigred

gobigred
    Expand Collapse

This is the first time I've reviewed a park and have a couple questions. I completed the review this morning and hit 'submit' and as far as I can tell nothing happened? So I hit it a second time and still nothing. Normally with other sites, some type of notice is provided that the information was received. Can anyone provide me with some assistance as to what I'm doing wrong or if this is how the site operates. I've gone back to campgroundreviews.com and nothing has shown up on the park I reviewed. If I've done it correctly does it take some time to appear on the park? Thanks for any assistance.

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

First of all, reviews are all read by an admin before they are posted so you would never be able to see a review immediately after you submitted it. Depending on the time of the year and the workload, it will take a day or two for your review to post.

However, in your case there is no submitted review so something must have gone wrong, as you suspected. The new website occasionally has a few quirks that we haven't completely eliminated. Did you, by any chance, write your review in a word processing program such as Word and then copy and paste it into the form? Sometimes that results in control characters being included which the system can't handle but which it also doesn't display an error message for.

If that wasn't the case, there probably was an incomplete response somewhere. The system should have alerted you to this fact, but we know there are certain instances where it doesn't. If you wouldn't mind trying again and if it fails once more providing us with as much detail as you can as to the specific circumstances.

Thanks for your patience and for being a member of RVPR.

Joel

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

According to our Help Desk, you apparently were unable once again to submit a review. The site Development Team is aware there is an intermittent issue which they have been unable to completely get their arms around. Fortunately, for most, if not all, users experiencing this problem it seems to disappear as mysteriously as it appears.

To help us figure out why this is happening, please provide us with the following information:
    • the device type you are using to access the website (e.g., Windows pc, Android tablet, etc.)
    • the operating system the device is running, and
    • the browser (including version info) that you are using
    In a day or two you might want to try to post your review again. If you copy and paste from a .TXT document such as is generated by Notepad it won't introduce control characters so you won't have to re-enter the text each time and you will be able to see if the problem has "magically" disappeared.

We are taking your problem seriously, we simply don't have an easy fix for it at the moment. Thanks for having patience.

Joel

4. Fixn2gocamp

Fixn2gocamp
    Expand Collapse

HELP! I'm having the same problem this morning. Went to submit a review...red asterisks came up for several items that were already filled in. So did it again and a third time. Used Word to paste full comments into space, then tried free typing it. Using Mozilla Firefox with windows 7 on an Toshiba Satellite. Never had problem submitting before until this new format. :( Put same review on another forum, no problem. Trying to "like" this new format...but its frustrating. Any other suggestions for posting this review?

5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Did you refresh the page after you tried the copy and paste? If not, the non-printing control characters might still be there messing things up. As for why asterisks would come up on things that were already filled in, it does sound as if something didn't load properly in the browser.

If this persists please provide the version number for the Firefox you are using.

6. Fixn2gocamp

Fixn2gocamp
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tip Joel...but it didn't work. Firefox version is 35..however I tried under IE7 also. I did go back in and redo everything again...same problem. I did refresh the page and the info stayed in place, but when I hit the submit review button....it just goes back to the top and sits there. I did notice this time that the red asterisks are there when I open the page...so that may not be an issue. I hate to sound old...but I miss the old website right now. :(

7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The red asterisks just indicate mandatory entries, Richard. Yesterday I entered three reviews using Firefox v35.0 running on Windows 8.1 with no problems. Do you have JavaScript enabled on Fx?

8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Joel, the red asterisks denoting the mandatory entries are permanent, but it might be helpful if there was a matching red asterisked note at the foot of the page indicating their meaning. That's usually done for mandatory list entries to avoid mis-understandings.

9. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I think the system flags mandatories that aren't being complied with.

EDIT: Mandatories that aren't complied with show up in red along with a popup telling the user that there is an issue.

I'm sorry you aren't happy with the new website but the old one was seriously outdated and needed to be replaced. I'm sure that as you get more familiar with the new one you will get used to the changes.

10. Fixn2gocamp

Fixn2gocamp
    Expand Collapse

Yes NYDutch...Java enabled and working. Don't know what the problem is...

11. Fixn2gocamp

Fixn2gocamp
    Expand Collapse

Not unhappy with new site Joel...it looks good, very upscale, good information. Just having some issues getting it to work for me. Oh well...time to move on I guess. :)

12. Fixn2gocamp

Fixn2gocamp
    Expand Collapse

Think I found the problem.... under the section/comment area, its limited to 20 characters. I didn't count a space as a charactor.... once I rewrote what I had put in that area, to about 15 charactors, the review took without any issue, it was the only thing I changed. It never shows red or highlighted that there was some problem. So watch those character limits...might be a tripper.

13. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Excellent catch!! That indeed might be one of the annoying glitches we have been looking for. Thanks for reporting it.

14. Fixn2gocamp

Fixn2gocamp
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Joel....We just could NOT give up on our favorite RV park review website!! ;)