Acadia NP best time to visit?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by KyDan, Jan 7, 2015.

1. KyDan

KyDan
    Expand Collapse

We hope to visit Acadia National Park later this year. Since we are recently retired it seems
    prudent to visit either just before school lets out in the spring or just after the kids go back in
    the fall. Would September be a good time to visit? We're trying to get there after the summer
    crush ends but before leaf turn brings them back in the fall. Can it be done??
    Thanks!!
    Dan & Rita D.
    Louisville, KY Home of the Louisville Slugger Bat!

2. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

We were there in early Sept to mid Sept a few years ago and it wasn't crowded at all.

3. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

KyDan: We have a summer home about 20 minutes from Acadia National Park and strongly recommend an early September visit. The weather in Maine in June is often times very rainy and cold. Plus, see my comments above.....Mainers are firm in their belief that Mothers Day to Fathers Day is "bug season." And believe me, it's very true. We spend much of June huddling on our screen porch waiting for the Black Flies to depart and July to come. Do September if you can.

KyDan likes this.
  4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We were there about 10 years ago in late October, and the weather was great, and the colors spectacular, but I would imagine that this might not always be the case that late in the year. We just happened to be lucky.

5. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

We were there a few years ago mid September and it wasn't crowded and the leaves were starting to change

6. KyDan

KyDan
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the helpful replies! We are thinking about staying in the park. I know those
    camp grounds don't have hookups or showers.... I understand there are showers nearby and I guess that AC is not necessary. We have a small Honda genny if we need to charge batteries but
    I think we can do 5-6 days without needing a charge.

Any and all suggestions of don't miss places to explore or favorite eating spots are appreciated and I AM taking notes! We love to hike, walk, ride bikes and sight see.

Finally without trying to derail my own thread-- we will be coming from Kentucky so I'll be needing a
    mid way stopping point or 2. We've just recently re-visited Niagara Falls so that is off the list I guess.
    Thanks again!

7. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

As far as we are concerned, the best lobster place in proximity to Acadia is Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard. It's at the very tip of Mt. Desert Island, on what's called the "Quiet Side." Google it and you can see the pier it's on and get a feel for the ambiance of the place. It's not fancy, but the lobster is as fresh as you will find anywhere in Maine. Every day but Sunday one can sit on their screened porch and watch the lobstermen unload their catches at the adjacent pier.

KyDan likes this.
  8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I have to add that one of the best meals in my life was at the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. It is right at the bridge on the only way over to the Island so you can't miss it. It was very, very good. You can also cook lobster in your coach. Really best to do it outside due to the smell. We bought a lobster pot at a thrift shop and bought the right off the boat. Put them in head first or they will come out. Remember it can get very cold in Maine no matter when you are there.

KyDan likes this.
  9. mtn_bikers

mtn_bikers
    Expand Collapse

KyDan - We were in Acadia last September, it was before the trees really started to turn. But we enjoyed the time of year, as it wasn't super crowded. The bike/carriage trails in the park were fantastic for bike riding.

I noticed that you are looking for suggestions on your drive from Kentucky to Acadia in Maine. Have you considered Lancaster County PA? We were there over the summer and caught a show at the Sight and Sound Theatre (which was spectacular). There are plenty of really nice campgrounds in the area, not to mention lots of good places to eat. We stayed in Ronks, PA which was about 10 minutes from the theatre.

On our way back to NJ from Acadia, we stopped at Old Sturbridge Village, which was a very nice stop. I believe there are at least 2 campgrounds in this area as well - and they've been reviewed on this site.

KyDan likes this.
  10. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

DW and I visited Acadia and Bar Harbor twice. First time before we had the RV was in August. The town was packed and so was Acadia, whether going up Cadillac Mtn. or renting bikes to ride the carriage trails. Second visit was two year ago in our class A RV. We went in September just after Labor Day. Most kids are gone, easier to walk around town and the park was much less crowded. Day time temps were in the mid 60's and sunny, night time got into the 40's. Campground rates much cheaper after Labor Day also. If you don't stay at Acadia, Bar Harbor Campground would be a good alternative. Family run and reasonable price compared to the corporate parks that are all around the area, such as Mount Desert Isle and MDI 2. Beautiful place to go. I would highly recommend a stop over for at least a couple of nights in Portland, ME. Great old and historic seaside small city with a incredible seaside district full of shop, pubs and restaurants as you walk along cobble stone streets and alleys. Twenty miles east of Portland is Freeport, ME which is the home of L.L. Bean. The entire town is one large outlet mall in old buildings as you walk the streets. The deals are some of the best bargains you'll find on many, many brand names.