Credit check?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Luvtheroad, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

Ever had a park require a credit check for a month stay? And charge you for the credit check? I'm not sure what to think of this request.

2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I have never heard of this before. I understand what a credit check is but unless the rates are super expensive, I don't understand why they would be requesting one. Maybe the park is in a sketchy location and they experience a lot of midnight departures. I would pass on the stay.

Darrell

3. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

It's a very nice park, nice area, mostly seasonals. The only thing I can think of is maybe they've had trouble getting people in who won't pay and won't move out.

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I have heard of other parks that require a credit check for month or longer stays. I think they've usually been located in areas where the eviction laws are more favorable to the tenant than the landlord. Shorter stays fall under different rules where they can more easily boot someone for overstaying their welcome.

5. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

Never heard of it. Anywhere we stayed for a month or more they got the Credit Card payment up front.

6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

http://www.treasureislandrvpark.com/rates/

7. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

I would find another park to go to. To many stipulations. Your renting a piece of land, not the Taj Mahal!

docj likes this.
  8. jimbob07

jimbob07
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't stay there.

9. westernrvparkowner

westernrvparkowner
    Expand Collapse

Different states have different laws as to when a rental stay no longer falls under "innkeeper" laws and when it becomes a tenant/landlord situation. Under innkeeper laws, it is very easy to enforce park rules, evict renters etc. Under landlord laws, that all changes. Therefore, any rental agreement that crosses over that line is a candidate for the park to have a whole lot of different rules. I can surely see the need. If your credit history is good, what's the problem? As for the fee, it costs money to run credit and background checks. It is a common practice in apartment rentals and a long term rental of an RV site isn't much different.

10. jimbob07

jimbob07
    Expand Collapse

My credit is fine, but every check on the credit is a hit and can affect score if there are excessive checks. I have never seen a need to ask for a credit check when renting or leasing site and just don't think I would go through the hassle to stay at a park that had that as a policy.

11. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Not all credit checks affect your score. "Hard inquiries", those used by banks, finance companies, and sometimes landlords (usually when a long term lease is involved), do appear on your credit report and can affect your score for up to two years. Hard inquiries require your permission. "Soft inquiries" typically occur when a person or company, such as a potential employer, checks your credit report as part of a background check, when you are "pre-approved" for credit card offers, sometimes by landlords for month to month rentals, and when you check your own credit score. A soft inquiry does not require your permission, and does not affect your credit score.

12. SGSanctuary

SGSanctuary
    Expand Collapse

We check for arrest records and sex offenders. We have children and women alone. We need to keep everyone safe. We only check public records. And we don't charge anyone.

13. Chuck Fasst

Chuck Fasst
    Expand Collapse

I am new to the RV life but this sort of thing seems to be quite prevalent in the Portland Oregon area. It is hard to get into any RV site for an extended stay. And it seems that they all do complete background checks. This is a $30 fee.

Now, I have a credit score of 822 and have never missed a payment. But I had problems with the hitler-like park management where I was. It appears that these trailer parks are so flush with cash that they are free to kick anyone out for any reason at all.
    I am a disabled, Vietnam era vet who maintains his own cars like millions of other Americans do. Some people don't like that. But most people could care less one way or the other. But when you have hardcore Park managers who want to rule the roost oh, they will make life miserable for you.

Now, when a background check is done , I get bad mouth from that Park. This appears to have effectively eliminated me from any tenancy and any other resorts that do background checks. this kind of discrimination and character assassination is a sad thing here in United States of America.
    I am doing my best to prepare a legal challenge against these un-American policies. Vets are being treated badly in many different ways and it is only getting worse. Very upsetting.

14. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

First off Chuck Fasst, welcome to the forum. Secondly thank you for your service. And thirdly I just wanted to let you know that your first forum post on this thread was to a posting that is going on five years old now. In the future if you look down at the bottom left corner of the post you are responding to you will note the date of the OP's original post as well as the dates and responses to it in the posts that follow. Last post to this one was back in March of 2015. With that said your post offered a lot of informative and interesting information that I feel most who pick up on this thread will identify with and appreciate. I am a veteran myself (Navy) and was involved in the happenings in Laos just prior to Vietnam so it pisses me off when I hear stories such as yours outlined in your post. I'd best end on that note and just say once again, welcome to the forum. Hope to read more posts from you down the road..........

All the best, BankShot...........(aka Terry)

Paythebill and Chuck Fasst like this.
  15. Chuck Fasst

Chuck Fasst
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the vote of confidence. And I might mention that I have been doing my due diligence investigating this. And had background investigations Inc check back into this and request more documentation from the assistant manager over at Portland Fairview RV Park. I do not yet know what transpired there. But the vice president of the company that runs the resort I'm at now, Sandy River RV Resort ,called the office and told them I would be approved. So I have gone over there and settled up.
    So I am now in at the rate of $535 per month up until May 1st at which time I must give up my space for the snowbird residents when they return. So I am more than elated to have this result.

By the way, I was paying $695 a month at Portland Fairview. I might mention that there were some other extenuating circumstances that occurred when I first moved in there. I got wind of a Vietnam veteran nurse who was about to be evicted on Christmas Eve. She has PTSD and hard times. in the end, I ended up in contact with her lawyer. We split the cost of her months rent. And in the courts enforced a decision preventing them from charging her a bunch of high daily rates during this.

The management had not liked that I had done this from the beginning. So, just saying it was about more than just working on cars over there. I was caught between a rock and a hard spot then, tags that expired and I had check engine lights that put me through hell trying to fix before I could get the thing registered so somebody could buy it and have it be gone forever out of everybody's hair. I did accomplish that finally. Then everything was good. But the die was cast. And it was looking like I might be having to pay for this for a long time.

I guess the moral of this story is that someone's way of life should not hang in the balance of some disgruntled trailer park manager. When background checks are done. Decisions should require more than just unsubstantiated claims. And the subject should be allowed to refute said claims with their own evidence, affidavits, references, etc. There seems to be a lot of very rigid rules in some of these trailer parks that far exceed what is assumed to be constitutionally allowed in the United States of America. To me, especially as a veteran I find this to be a sad situation of the times. I intend to check further into this. I know this is an old thread. If it happens to come back to life, then so be it.
    Thanks

Paythebill likes this.
  16. lianot

lianot
    Expand Collapse

I personally hear about it for the first time