Changes To Website Review Approvals

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Webmaster, Jul 4, 2006.

1. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I hate to tell you that our system does not show your review. I can see that you updated your profile on 2/23 but that's the only activity our log shows.

Can you tell me what you saw after you pressed SUBMIT? Did you get a response from the system?

2. drfife

drfife
    Expand Collapse

After I hit SUBMIT, the page refreshed and stayed the same. In fact, I hit SUBMIT multiple times. It appeared to accept the input, but received no confirmation or change.

It's a shame. Mother Neff State Park has had a complete makeover. New headquarters, entrance and 20 site camping loop with full hook-ups. Some of the nicest sites we've ever seen.

I am happy to re-re-sumbit a review. I can try it from another computer if that would help. This is my first attempt at submitting on the new system.

3. drfife

drfife
    Expand Collapse

I resubmited the review for Mother Neff SP. It showed a confirmation page after hitting SUBMIT. The review was submitted from another computer using the same OS (Win7) and browser (Firefox). Also, my first two submissions I pasted the text from another log. This time I typed the text. You might check if there is an issue with copy and past in the text box with the new software.

I will check back it it is approved.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Wow, looks like you got a lot more reviews submitted besides Mother Neff, which we do have. All your reviews are in the queue waiting to be approved. It shouldn't be too long.

I'm sorry you had so much trouble at first, but we really appreciate that you reported using a different computer and browser and what finally worked. We will pass this along to the programmers and maybe they will be able to determine what is happening. Thanks for your help.

5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I recall there were some earlier reports of problems using cut & paste, I think from certain word processors. Does anyone else recall that and what the fix was other than retyping? Maybe using a simple text based program like Notepad instead for instance?

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We have thought that cutting and pasting from programs like Word introduced non-printing control characters which "upset" the system even though it didn't display an error message. This problem, if it is real, could be avoided by using a text editor such as Notepad or Wordpad. However, I have to admit that I've tried to duplicate this problem and have not been able to.

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem with using Word, but I have cut and pasted reviews from it and had no problem.

8. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

I always type my review in the notepad of Windows and save them until I am finished with my review comments. Once I finalize my comments I copy the text into RVPR. One thing I have found even using the notepad is that before you paste the text into RVPR I will turn the word wrap (In the dropdown list under Format) off then back on to eliminate any hard returns placed in the file by the application.
    BC

9. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

I've been trying to use the "Contact Us" function to comment on a review rejection. After I finish and hit the "submit" button, it returns me to a blank "contact us" form. So, I wrote my comments again and it again return me to a blank the "contact us" page. I have no idea if the comments went through or not. You may have several similar comments or none. Please advise.

10. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Once again, I tried to use the "Contact Us' and have no idea if the question went through. Again, after hitting "Submit", I was simply returned to the "Contact Us" page. I have NO idea if what I wrote went through. My question concerned a review I was doing on the Lafayette KOA in Scott, LA. I do not believe I was anywhere near the 2000 character limit when the system would not let me write anymore narrative. I submitted the review as it was to that point but would have liked to included comments on the park's recreational facilities.

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

After you have clicked on "Send Request," the system displays a message highlighted in green at the top of the page thanking you and indicating that your message has been sent. This is the verification that your message went through. Are you not getting any replies to your messages?

12. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Sorry TX - I just saw your reply tonight. I don't recall ever seeing the green highlighted message you mentioned when I have had this problem. I did, however, receive an e-mail stating that I did, in fact, exceed the 2000 character limit. I guess I got more verbose that I realized writing that review. Live and Learn.

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Hmmm, I'm not aware of an email that goes out that tells reviewers they exceeded the character limit. However, when you are submitting the review if you go over the 2000 character limit, the system displays a warning that indicates this when you try to send the message. (At least I think that is correct.) Then you have the opportunity to remove words or edit the review as needed and submit it again. Also when you submit a review, look at the very bottom edge of the comments box. There should be a thin green line on the left side. As you type your comments the line increases in length to the right to indicate how much space you have used up. That is not quite as good as counting the words, but it does give you an idea when you are about to run out of space. Hope those tips help.

14. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tips, TX. Unfortunately, the review for the Lafayette, LA KOA I was writing when the problem arose was submitted "as is" since I could not figure out what was wrong and could not seem to make any changes. So I did not proofread it before submitting it. It did have a couple grammatical and word "glitches" that I might have otherwise caught during a reread before submitting. I guess It would be easier to write short and useless reviews.

15. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Jerry:

FWIW your review of the Lafayette KOA contains 1961 characters (including spaces; 1586 without spaces) which means that our system was correct when it warned that you were approaching the 2,000 character limit.

Joel (AKA docj)

16. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

As I noted in my 6/1 (Monday) post, I got an e-mail (possibly in response to my "Contact Us" message or my 5/26 post) telling me that I did, in fact , exceed the 2000 character limit. I accept that but, while writing the review, my screen gave NO indication of why I could not continue. That is why I did not know what was going on.

On another issue, two of my recent reviews (Tom Sawyer park in West Memphis, AR and Ameristar in Vicksburg, MS that I submitted in the past week for last week of May stays just posted. In both cases, my review showed up several reviews down the list for that particular park. Both of my reviews made references to reviews already posted. Because of how the reviews are listed, my reviews are listed before the reviews which I referenced. For example, in the Ameristar review I mention that a previous reviewer stated that there is a spa. There is NO spa and I stated that the previous review was wrong. My comment doesn't make sense if it looks like the review I am correcting comes after mine. How are reviews I read before writing mine being posted before mine but being listed as happening after mine?

17. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

You are correct that this, indeed, is a bug that needs to be fixed. Apparently, the system treats all reviews relating to a particular month's stay date as equivalent and doesn't sort them by date submitted or approved. This has now been reported as a bug. Thanks for your help.

18. VietVet

VietVet
    Expand Collapse

I have 3 reviews "Pending Approval" These are my first reviews and I will post more after these are approved. How long should I expect for the approval process to take?

19. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

This is not surprisingly one of the busiest times of the year for new reviews to be submitted. With reviews coming in at a reported 100+ a day, I'd expect at least a 10 day delay for the volunteers to review and get them posted. I'm sure all of the RVPR members thank you for your submissions, and we look forward to seeing them.

20. pcmike

pcmike
    Expand Collapse

What does the number mean that is next to the name of the town on the list on the left side? It looks like it is the number of campgrounds for that town, but it is not.