New Site Problems? let us know here..

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Janet H, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Kalama Traveler

Kalama Traveler
    Expand Collapse

The monitor is 16:9, 24 inch, resolution of 1920X1080. Hope that helps. Really, the 'symbols' are not at all like an "x", a 'check', or a "?". I really wish that I could send you a picture or screen shot or something of it, just so you could see what I see.

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Your monitor is more than capable enough of showing the symbols as they appear to me (and most other people). So that isn't the problem. Assuming you are running Windows, there is an app called the Snipping tool (it's in the Windows Accessories folder) that permits you to capture screenshots of portions of your display. It's rather easy to use; just define an area of the screen you want to capture and save it. You can attach the resulting snips to a forum post by using the Upload a File link.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

That looks like a character set issue. What browser are you using?

4. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Can you tell me more about your system? What Operating System and internet browser are you using? What is the version of your browser?

5. Kalama Traveler

Kalama Traveler
    Expand Collapse

First of all, this happens on two different computers. One is Windows 7, the other is Linux 14.04.1

OK, Browser: happens on both Firefox 35.01 and Chrome, 40.0.2214.94

6. Kalama Traveler

Kalama Traveler
    Expand Collapse

OK, redo: It works, at least now, on the Linux platform with Chrome, but not with Firefox. I am not near, right now, the Windows machine, but I am sure that it was that way on that machine, but I think I was only using Firefox then and there. So it might be a Firefox glitch. Thank you for all your help and patience. I will now use Chrome when accessing this site. Thanks again for making me look deeper and farther.

7. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks fro the input regarding Firefox. We'll look into this.

8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

It's not a generalized Firefox problem, however. Although I'm normally a Chrome user I just viewed RVPR with Firefox and Windows 8.1 at a resolution of 1920x1080 and there are no problems with the amenities symbols.

9. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

In Firefox, try setting your character encoding to "Unicode" under the "View" menu.

10. Kalama Traveler

Kalama Traveler
    Expand Collapse

NYDutch: Unicode is the active selection. thanks for the try.

11. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Ok, something else must be wonky then...

12. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

A new "feature" has appeared that I find incredibly annoying. Please add a preference option to opt out of that silly "Share" bar that pops out on every page and follows scroll actions.

13. Andy R

Andy R
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I added those yesterday as a test. The way I added it does not allow for turning it on/off on a user-by-user basis. I'd like to ask for your patience as I let it run for a few more days so we can see what kind of use the buttons get. If the response is decent (i.e people are actually using it) then we'll move the code over into the site where users can disable it. So thanks in advance for your patience with those buttons for a few days while we see how they work. We'll find a solution shortly if we decide to keep them.

14. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, Andy! I'll wait patiently for it to disappear or at least become an option. :D

15. Kalama Traveler

Kalama Traveler
    Expand Collapse

Docj: I was just on another site that must use the same program for their 'icons' for check,etc., and came up with the same 'problem' with it on Firefox, but not on Chrome. It must be a glitch with that particular program and firefox.

Andy, another vote against the 'side bar'. I see that on other sites and it just a pain, blocking out parts of the screen. Thanks for your efforts, but, as for me, a 'no'.

16. Liz Carmel

Liz Carmel
    Expand Collapse

I have a notebook computer. The social media menu (Facebook, Twitter, Email, etc.) you have added on the left side of the website blocks important content.

Liz

17. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Andy: Can the sidebar be setup like the Charms menu in Win 8.1 so that it doesn't show unless you move your cursor near the side of the screen?

18. StevenH

StevenH
    Expand Collapse

Andy

The side bar is a royal pain. It blocks the list of cities and makes navigating difficult. Any clicks on the side bar by me where done trying to drag the thing out of the way. I would not be surprised that you may get an artificially higher indication of usage as many users attempt to move it out of the way. I anxiously await it's demise.

Steve

19. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

I am another vote for getting rid of that annoying side bar.

20. hankw5

hankw5
    Expand Collapse

We love the web site, have been using it for many years and recommend it constantly to others. Lately, with your "new" format, when I bring up a state listing a whole bunch of Facebook, Twitter and other icons appear on top of the city list, blocking most of it, and making it extremely difficult to navigate to the town I want. Is it my computer or is there a website reason for all that? It is very distracting. We are getting to "hit the road" again for a long cross-country trip after several months in Arizona...and I need you!

Actually it seems the icons are down the left side of the page on all pages.

Henry Whitney Currently in Apache Junction AZ
    Windows 7
    Google Chrome