Fifth wheel length

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Soonerman63, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Soonerman63

Soonerman63
    Expand Collapse

I currently have a 30' fifth wheel and I'm about to upgrade and I'm considering a 36' and 40'. My question is; will I be limited on where I can stay if go with the 40'? I'd hate to be limited for only an extra 4'.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Obviously there are sites where a 30' RV will fit that a longer one won't, just as your 30' didn't fit in sites that a shorter rig could use.. It's just something to keep in mind when you're selecting a campground/site to stay in.

#2 NYDutch, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Maybe it comes down to what your tolerance is, with the larger rv's, might have to do a little more home work when it comes to selecting campgrounds/sites.

Mike

4. Soonerman63

Soonerman63
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone. As I sit here and think about it if a 36' will fit I think it likely that a 40' would fit.
    Someone, somewhere, has told me that once you start reaching 40' and over that the available spaces are limited.

5. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

We full timed for 11 years in a 38 foot fifth wheel and there were times we pushed the envelope.
    Mostly in National Parks and such. I would think a 40 would really be pushing it.

6. Soonerman63

Soonerman63
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, that's what I'm concerned about.

7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I've seen a number of sites where the toad or TV had to be unhooked and parked next to the RV so it wouldn't block the road. I don't know what the listed length was for those sites, but they sure were a tight fit.

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I've had a few conversations with Rvers where they have wished they had purchased a smaller Rv.

Around where I live most of the campgrounds/rv parks date back to the 70's where your average RV was 25', this makes finding a spot even more difficult for the 35'+rv's

Mike

9. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

In the 4 years we've been full-timing I've read threads similar to this one innumerable times. Most of the posts are by people who write "I have a XX foot RV and if you go any larger than this you'll have problems." What we have found is that when you own an RV of a particular size you learn to adjust your RV style to accommodate its size. With our MH we've stayed in National Parks in the US and Canada as well as numerous state parks and lots of private parks, as well. We've never been turned away because of our size (~62' including the toad). My suggestion is buy the RV you want and worry about finding parking spaces later.