Canadian Pricing

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by AZSwede, Apr 8, 2015.

1. AZSwede

AZSwede
    Expand Collapse

Probably here someplace but I cannot find it.

If I am looking at prices in British Columbia and they give a price - is that in US dollars or Can dollars -- BIG difference right now.

Thanks.

Be safe.

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Prices in British Columbia are usually quoted in Canadian dollars. Exchange rate is around $1CAD = $.80 USD or $1USD = $1.25CAD

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

That, of course, is the exchange rate at the moment (April 2015). It is not guaranteed.

4. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Yes, the Canuck buck has been pretty volatile lately. It wasn't that long ago when the two currencies were par, but then I remember when I went down to Washington state back in 2002 and for $100CAD I got back $62USD. Ouch!

5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I'm looking forward to being in Canada again this summer. The gasoline and wine prices will be much easier to live with! :)

6. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Joel, welcome to the north of the border. Drop me a line if you make it to Alberta.

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We do like spending our summers in Canada. This year we're headed back to the Maritimes, specifically to PEI where we spent a great six weeks last summer. We were in AB for a month in 2013 and we may be back in '16 when we have to renew our SD drivers licenses.

8. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

I hope you missed all the rain we had that June. Lots of areas were devastated and are only now starting to recover. Have a great time in PEI.

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

If you are going to Canada, be advised that they are very harsh on firearms and it is almost impossible to carry on in. We stayed on the border and traveled over by our toad daily. The toad had an NRA sticker on it which evidently peaked their interest. I have heard that confiscations and heavy fines are involved if you try to sneak any across the border. You can have a federal firearms dealer hold them for you or ship them down the line to another border crossing town. Canada is a wonderful country and the scenery is fantastic. Have a great time.

10. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Sorry I didn't respond; I hadn't seen your post. In fact we were just slightly behind the rains that year. The TransCanada still had a damaged section north of Banff as I recall. We stayed at Whistler in Jasper and Tunnel Mountain in Banff and neither of those CGs had been flooded. We lucked out.

11. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

I enjoyed my first trip to Alberta & British Columbia. I went to Calgary from Glacier National Part an stayed outside the city at Spring Hill RV Cochrane AB, to Irvinng's RV Valemount BC, to Eagle Wind RV Park Aldergrove BC, then to to Lake Connor Lake Stevens WA. I stayed a week at each place and Eagle Wind was my favorite spot. Not fancy but comfortable. I had a good time except when the rains kept me away from some of it. Lake Louise and Jasper were so crowded that it was difficult to drive my F250 Long bed in the areas. Cars parked on both sides of the road going to Lake Louise. Couldn't make it there. Vancouver was not my favorite place. Crowded and people in cars would run over you. Almost reminds me of the taxi's when I was in Japan.