"RV Pks & Cpgrds With Google Earth Drive Thru"

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by BankShot, Apr 24, 2015.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I mentioned one time in a review that some parks have had the folks at Google Earth drive thru their property and post it. One can do a ground level view and actually drive thru the park and see what the spaces and facilities look like. I thought it might be helpful if when we do find a park that offers this feature, to post it here so others that may be thinking about staying there can check it out prior to their stay, etc. We found one park that offers this feature and here's my contribution to start it off....

JGW RV PARK - Redding, CA

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

This is neat. I have seen a few other parks where this has been done (can't remember which one's now), but I did not realize the parks had to request it.

3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I just finished talking with the owner of JGW RV Park and she told me that she didn't contact Google Earth nor they her, they just drove in and went thru the park taking pics. I would have thought they would have at least asked permission before entering private property to take pictures but they didn't. I guess that means Google Earth simply randomly chooses a park and goes on in. The owner is glad they did and said they get told by their customers that this feature is really appreciated, etc. I hope others join in on this and post the names of parks they know offer this Google Earth feature as it really is helpful in selecting a space if you've never been inside the park......................

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

A Google camera car drove through Myakka River State Park in Florida while we were camped there in March. I don't know how soon the coverage will be on line, but it's not there yet. A ranger said they didn't know the car was coming, but they did waive the day use fee.

5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

My assumption is now that Google has "street view" for so many roads it would turn its attention to other places where this could be a benefit. We were in the Dallas Botanical Gardens a few weeks ago and encountered the guy in this photo doing street view in the gardens.
    google 1.jpg google 2.jpg

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Juno Ocean Walk RV Resort in Juno Beach, FL, has Google drive through.

7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

For anyone interested I am making a list of all the parks that members post here and will compile it by state when the list is sufficiently long enough to warrant a further posting. Hopefully we can get parks from every state listed so as to be of assistance to all members who wish to utilize this Google Earth feature. I know there must be other parks out there other than the three posted so far, so if you're reading this and know of one, by all means put it on the list if you will...................

Thanks, Bankshot

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

What a great idea! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you with this.

9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

If the Administrative Team could possibly post an announcement that will guide members to this thread to post any parks they are aware of that offer this feature, that might get the ball rolling a little faster? Also if there were a way a special thread could be created whereby I could just keep adding the names of parks that are submitted by members to keep it updated on weekly or monthly basis, and to stay withing the guidelines of the forum, that would also be great. Let me know if there is anything I need to do with regards to this "venture" I am undertaking and I will be more than happy to oblige............

Thanks for your support Texasrvers...........Bankshot

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Let me look into this.

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I mentioned your idea to a higher admin, and while she thought it was a good idea, she also thought the place to put this info is in the park's listing rather than in a list in the forum where members may miss seeing it. She said they will think about the best way to gather this information and it may work out that members might still use your forum thread to report parks when they find them. If I hear any more about this I will let you know.

12. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Texasrvers for checking into this. I will list the three parks that I know so far that have this Google Earth feature. If adding it to each parks listing as you indicated is possible this should be a helpful tool to many of us who use Google Earth in our travels. They are:

JGW RV Park - Redding, CA
    Sacramento River RV Park - Redding, CA
    Myakka River State Park - Sarasota, FL

As I come across others I will list them on this thread, or wherever admin wants them updated to, so you can add them to hopefully what will turn out to be a growing list down the road. Thanks again, and regards.................. Bankshot

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

That would be great. Keeping them gathered in one spot would make them easy to find once we have the place for them on the park's listing. Thanks.

14. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I just tried a dozen parks that I could think of off the top of my head and none of them had Google mapping. I think the percentage is probably still pretty small. Over time it will assuredly increase, but I don't think it's a big deal right now.

15. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi Joel - I agree, I don't believe there are a lot of parks with this feature.........yet. I know I've seen a few more than just those I posted above but can't remember which ones they were. But when I run across them again I will for sure post them on this thread. Hopefully in due time we can compile a useful list of parks and have it be helpful to those who would want to use the Google Earth feature to further check the park out, etc. Won't happen overnight but I would like to think that as soon as a few others are willing to share the ones they've found along the way, the list will get longer.................... Regards, Bankshot

16. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

Bankshot.. A suggestion. If you plan to keep a list of campgrounds move them to your original post #1. You can edit it and then anyone that wants to see what you have found only has to go to the #1 post and look through the list.

Many of my friends use this method to keep track of who all are going to attend a rally.. Works well.

17. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for suggestion TXBobcat. Only problem is I haven't a clue as to how to "edit" my original post. I have learned that editing can be done to a post for only a very short time after the posting and then the "edit" feature disappears. If you know a way around this please let me know as that is what my original intent here was, just keep adding names to my original post as you stated. I can "reply" to my original just as other members can but that reply then falls to the bottom of the list. Again, if I am missing something here, let me know how.............. Regards, Bankshot

18. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

BankShot.. If you look at the bottom of your post you will see edit. Click on it and edit your post.. See the screen shot....
    Edit posts.jpg

19. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

This 'edit" feature only remains at the bottom of my posts for a few hours, a day max, and then is gone so I am unable to use it anymore. I see "edit" still current at the bottom of my last post but on all the others above it including my original post, it is no longer there. It would be great if the folks that run this site would leave the edit feature remain so that we could go in and edit a given post at any time. Again, if there is something missing here that I am not understanding, please advise so I can proceed with this as I believe it will be of benefit to many of us..................

Regards, Bankshot

20. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

The system is designed to prevent edits after a certain period of time as you have noticed. The rationale for this is primarily because few people re-read old posts and, therefore, comments added as edits are likely not to be noticed.

I'm not sure if the system can make an exception to keep your post open for future edits.Until such time as we can put this information on a park's page, maybe the best thing to do would be to keep appending posts to this thread as people discover other parks that have been mapped by Google.