" Ever Do Something Dumb? "

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Jan 31, 2015.

1. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

When we were in Canada a couple of years ago I thought if I pulled into the site in front of the site I was going in It would be an easy entry. I was using my mirrors on the truck to back the 5th wheel in and felt a bump so I pulled forward and backed up again and got in the site. The bump was the water connection in the site I was using to back in and the water was spraying. The owner of the campground was very nice about it and of course I was embarrassed and groveling. Her husband came and fixed the water hookup and it cost me a case of beer for him.

2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Bankshot, you mentioned not seeing a gas Jake brake system, and I have seen two different types:

My current 32' gas southwind had a US Gear tranny system installed by the previous owner, this doubles the amount of gear selections I have to chose from when downshifting. In the Colorado mountains, I generally downshift to the point of equilibrium, where I don't have to hit the breaks at all.

On my dad's 1957 fitzjohn with allison transmission (35' gas motorhome), the tranny had a "retarder", which used the engine to slow the bus without hitting the brakes.

No matter which vehicle you have, my opinion is that the brakes should be your 2nd choice to slow your vehicle on a downgrade.

3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Fitzjohnfan - Thanks for the recommendation, I had no idea this US Gear tranny system was available. I think for now in that I seem to have things under control when proceeding downgrade, I'll just stick with the method I've been using. We have a 31' HR Admiral with a 5 speed tranny behind a big Ford V-10 and so far I've never had to downshift to anything lower than 3rd gear. Haven't even used 'tow mode" as yet either. That will keep our speed to where I only have to touch the brakes every few hundred yards or so on downgrades up to 7%. Haven't tried any of those Colorado grades however. I am in complete agreement with you regarding using the brakes as the second choice when descending downgrades, and using the transmission and engine rpm's first. Everyone drives differently but I would think that most are aware of how quickly you can burn up brakes by using them exclusively on the steeper downgrades. Over the years I have seen a few big Class A's sitting parked by the side of the road on a downgrade. with smoke coming out of the front, rear, or both wheel wells. And the driver standing there scratching his head. :(