North Georgia Mountains

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by want2go, May 7, 2015.

1. want2go

want2go
    Expand Collapse

Hello! I've been using this site for some time now and finally decided to ask some of the seasoned RVers.

My husband I both retired (semi) recently and finally can leave the immediate area for more than a couple of days. I would like to go to the North Georgia Mountains in our 33' motorhome with toad. We've been up there numerous times in a car but never in the RV. My question is -- what route is best from the Montgomery, AL area? It's not so much the mountains as it is the winding roads and people who drive like nuts coming around one of those sharp bends. Any recommendations on the area? We are taking my 73 year old mother and the mountains already make her nervous. Which is the best for the least amount of road stress: Cleveland, Hiawassee, Helen, GA -- or any other suggestions with good campgrounds - full hook-ups.

thanks!

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I lived in that area for 6 six years and travel in my RV to N-Ga, S-Tn, and W-Nc without incident or worry.

You didn't say where in the GA mountains you wanted to go, but generally all roads lead thru Atlanta and where the most possibility exists to experience the "nut" drivers you are concerned about. If you can traverse the city on a Sunday, you will have smooth sailing right thru the heart of the city on I-75. If not, then take the outer loop and absolutely don't be on it before 9 am or after 3 pm.

Once north of ATL it's generally a piece of cake. I-75 toward Dalton, Hwy 19 to Dahlonega, and I-985 towards Gainsville are all stress free. You do not really get into "mountain" areas until close to TN or NC. Even then most of the roads run thru a valley and are easy drives.

My favorite RV destination was Waynesville, NC./ Maggie Valley, NC. They share a space where you find good restaurants, good campgrounds, small town atmosphere, some shopping adventures, and easy to get to via I-985, Hwy 15, and Hwy 441, and Hwy 74. If you end up there, I highly recommend that you visit The Swag which is a hotel/restaurant on top of the mountain in that area. Fantastic views and treat your mother to some really good food.

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We have spent a lot of time in the North GA mountains in first 29 foot Class A and then in our 33 foot Class A. We found the worst part was going through Atlanta. We time it to avoid rush hour, but it can still be very hairy. I don't even like to do it in my toad. There are just several steep areas. Blood Mountain is a favorite of motorcycle riders as it is curvy. Stay away from it for sure. It starts close to Vogel State Park which is very nice. It is a great area to visit and there are a lot of things to do.

4. Jerry-and-Joan

Jerry-and-Joan
    Expand Collapse

North GA mountains are one of our favorite areas. Nice campground between Blairsville and Young Harris called Trackrock. Try to get a space in the Pavilion. Full hook up, 50 amp and decent wifi. Easiest way is I85 to Atlanta. Take your time around the west 285 Perimeter to I75. Construction heavy near the new Braves stadium. I75 North to I575. This turns into 515 with good 4 lane to Blairsville. 15 minutes of 2-way to the campground. Other favorite is Leisure Acres in Cleveland. This one keeps you on the south side of Neels Gap/Blood Mountain. Short toad drives to Helen and Dahlonaga. Nice campground, level, 50amp, full hook up with nice small pool and laundry. 285 again around to north end of loop, I985 to state 27. Nice easy drive. Returning to Leisure Acres in the fall for the leaves and Helen Octoberfest.