Towing question

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by MelindaK, May 12, 2015.

1. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

I have a 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7 lt V 8 with towing package and towing capacity is 10,400 lbs. I currently tow a Colorado Dutchmen that's 30 ft with a hitch weight of 818 and GVWR of 9680. It tows fine.

I am looking to upgrade to an Arctic Fox 25 Y (4 season TT and not longer than 30 ft.) The hitch weight is 772 and GVWR is 10,000 lbs.

The cargo capacity in the Colorado is 3064 and in the Arctic Fox it is 3147. I seriously doubt I have ever come close to either units cargo capacity. My best estimate is my cargo weight would be between 1500-2500 lbs. I do not travel with more than a 1/3 of the fresh water tank filled.

If I back out the cargo capacity there is 237 lbs difference between the two units. Therefore, I should have no issues towing or stopping the Arctic Fox, correct. Did I figure this correctly? Does anyone tow an Arctic Fox with a half ton truck.

My current fresh water tank is 46 gallons. I was thinking of filling it and then towing the camper to give a feel of what the additional weight of the Arctic Fox would feel like.

I do not want to purchase a TT I can't tow or wears out my truck.

Melinda

2. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

One think to consider is that if you get in a serious accident and get sued, the opposition lawyer will be checking out all of the specs. If you are not within the specs, they will be making a very big deal out of it and trying to say it is what caused the accident. I will leave the technical questions to some of our experts. Good Luck.

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Your post mentions your truck's GVWR but there is no mention of the GCWR. The so-called tow ratings for many trucks are "advertising numbers" and don't have a real relationship to the GCWR. That is a key number when deciding if any given towing situation is safe or legal.

4. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

The tongue weight is mostly likely a dry tongue weight because 12 or so % of 10,000 is 1,200 or better. Check that against the payload of the truck plus the hitch weight and the weight of everything in the truck. Also as mentioned, check the combined total weight of the truck and camper vs what is on the door. Good luck

5. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

Docj,

According to the truck manual for my truck's model number the GCWR is 16,000 lb.

6. Blu1e

Blu1e
    Expand Collapse

Like Happy Camper X2 says you need to worry about the tongue weight. That will eat up your payload fast before you even add passengers, fuel and whatever you carry in the back of your truck when you camp.