Web site has changed

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Robj, May 27, 2015.

1. Robj

Robj
    Expand Collapse

I am unable to find cities, unable to review campgrounds, unable to update campground info.
    This site has become junk. I used to use it all the time and liked it but now it is junk.

Milo&Millie likes this.
  2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

This site is the same, or better, than it used to be. It is just simply different. All those things can be found if you take a few minutes to get used to the differences.

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

To answer your specific questions:
    • To find a specific city go to the main search page by clicking on the Go button on the search bar at the top of every page. Then enter the name of the city and select the state.
    • To review a campground, the easiest way is to find its listing and then click on the link for Submit a Review. Alternatively you can use the Submit Review link at the top of every page.
    • To update a CG's info, go its listing page and look for the list of amenities. Above each column of the list is an Edit link. Click on that and it will bring up a screen on which you can enter your changes. If you have other kinds of corrections to inform us about, use the Contact RVPR links on the bottom of most pages of the website.

4. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

You did review a CG this month - your first review in almost 4 years.

5. WVA3185

WVA3185
    Expand Collapse

I love change....as long as everything stays the same.:D

dalsgal likes this.
  6. Creeper

Creeper
    Expand Collapse

They need a RV park reviews App. This site has gotten us to some great campgrounds with only a few duds. I don't blame them for the campground we got robbed at. :mad:

7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

There's been a few similar OP's like the one on this thread, what they all seem to have in common is people not willing to work with the new site.

My guess the new members, especially the younger tech people will have know problems using the new site.

Mike

8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

An app is in the works but, in the meantime, the site has been optimized for mobile devices and it works fine from my Android phone.

9. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I think we elected a president based solely on that premise. You should run for office. :D

FosterImposters and Onemoretrail like this.
  10. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Although it May be optimized for mobile devices, there are still limitations. I also use an android phone, but cannot search an area for parks with specific features, like a pool or hookups.

11. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Just because an app is being developed there's no reason to think that it will have the full capabilities of the website, unfortunately. I use plenty of apps that lack some of the features of the websites they represent. Quite often there is a link to "go to full website" just for that reason.

12. Tammy7

Tammy7
    Expand Collapse

As someone who has used this site for years, I am disappointed with the new layout. I am not opposed to change, but the site has become much more cumbersome. For example, I tried to find CG in Cleveland, Ohio. This is one of Ohio's largest cities, but I came up empty. This seems to be a common occurrence for many searches. The other format made it easy to find campgrounds near the area I was searching for. Sometimes I scratch my head thinking this isn't the same site that I always used, but when I see my reviews, I know I am at the right place.

NOTE: Someone posted that a new poster should have no problem getting used to the new format. That may be true. But is the goal to have constant turnover of members or build on something that has been proven successful?

#12 Tammy7, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    Milo&Millie likes this.
  13. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The goal of the new layout is to improve on the outdated and unsupportable old layout. There is still some tweaking going on to remove the odd bugs that are still showing up from time to time. Not unusual for any new complex software.

If you enter just "Cleveland" in the search box and hit "Search", you'll be taken to the advanced search page where you can select the state and distance you're interested in. Or just hit "Search" with no entry in the box to go directly to the advanced search page.

14. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

As someone who used this website last month to find a CG in Cleveland let me explain how you can easily find what you are looking for:

1. Enter Cleveland in the search box at the top of any page and click on GO
    2. From the list of cities that is returned click on Cleveland OH (0 parks)
    3. At the top of the page that is displayed you will see this message:
      It looks like we do not have any campgrounds in our database for camping in Cleveland, Ohio.
      We did however find 53 campgrounds within 50 miles of Cleveland. You can also find a list of cities with campgrounds or RV Parks near Cleveland in the left hand column.
    4. That statement is followed by listings for the 53 campgrounds within 50 miles of Cleveland and, in addition, a list of the cities in which those CGs are found is on the left side of the page.
    You could have obtained the same list if you had gone to the main search page (access it by clicking on GO with nothing in the search box) and then having entered Cleveland and OH in the box and the dropdown along with your desired search radius.

BTW, we stayed at Maywood in Chesterland OH for a couple of nights in May so we could tour the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Maywood is a housing development with a small number of RV sites. It wouldn't work for everyone, but it was fine for our needs.

15. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I have no issue with the new site but I will say that it is pretty dead on here. I know I put in reviews when I go to a new campground or the old one changed. I find the review process a bit more cumbersome but not by much. I always miss, I camped here in a ______.
    Also, it takes way to long to get the reviews up. I know you review them but maybe a more raw approach might be better and take issue with them if they are reported by a reader.

16. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

John, all the people that review the posts are volunteers with a life outside of RVPR. This time of year there are so many people posting the reviews they all work as hard as they can to get them posted so we need to have patience and respect the efforts and time they put in getting the reviews up as fast as they can.

17. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I'm not sure why you are "missing" this since the new system puts the same sort of tagline in every review.

18. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Gosh, it sure doesn't feel dead to us when we are receiving over a hundred reviews almost every day. By actual count we got 153 on 6-11; 107 on 6-12; 124 on 6-13; and only 90 so far on 6-14, but the day isn't over yet.

19. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I was saying I always miss the location to put it in. It prompts me to add it.

20. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I was comparing it to a while ago. We had lots of forum discussions and many new reviews.