"RV Pks & Cpgrds With Google Earth Drive Thru"

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by BankShot, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I had asked about the possibility of letting Bankshot edit his post indefinitely in order to add park names as they are found, but was told this probably isn't possible.

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I have noted there have been 736 views of this thread so far and only three parks submitted with Google Earth access. Two of those were mine, the other by NYDutch. Granted that some of those 736 views were by non members who can't post but I would have hoped by now there would have been a few other parks listed by members. I think what I will do is just keep track of whatever parks do get posted in the future, and at some point when there are enough gathered I'll simply start a new thread and list them all on it. Hopefully by then admin will have come up with a way of transferring those I list over onto each park's respective review site. If we could use the Google Earth emblem to identify those parks with with this feature and then have admin notify everyone of what it means, etc., that might be the way to go? Admin can decide how it should be done. I just thought that this was such a neat feature for a park to have but perhaps I am only one of many that does, time should tell the rest of this story................... Regards, Bankshot

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Don't forget mine in post #6. That makes 4 parks. But don't be discouraged. First, there may not be many parks out there yet that Google has been to. Second, many members only post reviews and never read the forum so they have no idea that we would like to collect these or that this list exists. That is why it is better to add this info to the park page where they will see it. Third, even if someone reads this post, there is a good chance that they will not remember it and add to it when they see a park like this down the road . But it's still a good suggestion no matter how slowly it goes and if we do find a way to post it on the park page we will still need to collect the info at some point so why not start now.

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

OOPS!!! Sorry about that Texasrvers. I did have that one recorded on paper and managed to miss it when I did the post above. It's there for sure tho. I understand and agree with what you say here and will continue to gather a list of parks that have the Google Earth drive thru feature. I will wait till I get a few more on the list and then post them on a new thread..... Regards, Bankshot

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

It's been almost two months now since my original post and I just found another park that offers a Google Earth drive thru down one of it's rows. That one is Premier RV Resorts of Clarkston, WA. As of today that brings the total to just 5. Since it appears this is of no real interest to the forum members I will now curtail my intended updating of this feature and let it go until such time as interest in finding and passing on this feature increases. I appreciate those above who assisted in trying to get this off the ground................

Regards, Bankshot

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

In the course of being an admin, I look at a lot of park maps, but I have not seen any more of these yet or I would have added them. Sorry this didn't work out. Maybe a list will be of more interest when there are a lot more parks to add to it.

7. ortracker

ortracker
    Expand Collapse

Another is: Bully Creek Reservoir Campground, Vale, Oregon

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

This thread has gotten off to a slow start so thanks for adding this park.

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

St Petersburg / Madeira Beach KOA

10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Just found another one to add to the now growing list. Sacramento River RV Park. Located right off I-5 just a few miles south of Redding, CA. Haven't stayed there but was checking it out when i noticed Google Earth allowed me to cruise right on thru as tho I was in the motorhome looking out the windshield............

Thanks again to all who are contributing to this thread. I just used this feature in checking out a few spaces at JGW RV Park, one of the first parks I found with this feature, and which is right up the road from this latest one just listed................. Bankshot

11. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I would suspect that before too long, a Google Earth type video will become available commercially. Not too long ago drone views of campgrounds were unusual and now they are common. I have a friend who's brother has a drone and GoPro and is doing drone shots for Realtors for their listings. Pretty impressive. Many RV makers have the 360 degree camera videos similar to Google Earth on their websites.

12. solo_on _the _road

solo_on _the _road
    Expand Collapse

I hope you find a way to get this information listed with each campground. Maybe a seperate searchable list by state since I have the devil of a time searching by city.

I might be alone but I'd never stay at a campground that allowed such a thing. But then I would also avoid those with cameras in tthe showers!

But, come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea ;). At a well reviewed northern Ohio campground, I was recently told I couldn't look at the showers and laundry facilities before renting a site for the night. LOL!

solo on the road

13. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Bankshot, how are you finding parks with Google Drive Thru? Via Google Maps or from the Park's website or ? Currently dropped anchor at a golf/RV resort in the foothills outside Temecula, California. Would be a perfect candidate for this feature you describe. Thanks for your insights.

14. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Are you aware that the Google camera drive-thru is only done once every few years? It's not a real time live service. I find it very handy for selecting sites at the few RV parks that have it. Of all the parks I've been in over the years, I've only once seen a Google camera car come through while I was there. On the other hand, I've seen one of their cars three or four times while traveling the Interstates.

15. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I am finding them one by one as I search for parks to stay at on our trips. I use Google Eearth to first of all see if a "street view" is available for that area. If so, then I can usually also see from above if the interior roads in the park are outlined in blue also as that tells me I can go to street view and actually drive thru that park, or in some cases at least down a few of the roads inside. To me it's a real neat feature for the park to have as it allows you to check out the various sites as to how they are situated and what the views are like from that site, etc. If you have the Google Earth feature on your PC, etc. try going to street view outside of JGW RV Park along the Sacramento River just south of Redding, CA. You can drive thru that park and see every space in it. We normally stay in Space R2 on the cul de sac at the end to the right,if you care to check that one out................... Regards, Bankshot

16. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

You do know that our Google maps have the street view feature. Each campground listing has a link that says "View on Google Maps." When you click on that, you first get a small map, but look in the box in the top left corner of the map and there will be a link that says "View Larger Map." Click on that and when the larger map is displayed there will be a map pin for the park you were looking for. Then look at the bottom right corner for the little yellow man icon. Click and drag that icon onto the map, and the blue lines will appear just like you described in your post. Drag the icon to the place you want to see, and the map will display the area in the street view.

17. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I am aware of that feature on RVPR but I find the regular Google Earth to be much better than the one currently being used by RVPR. Much easier to navigate and a much better zoom in/zoom out feature also. When you zoom down on Google Earth in RVPR it will more often than not set you down pointed in the opposite direction or even off on some other street at times. I've used Google Earth for as long as it's been out and can't understand why the two aren't the same, but they aren't? Even the forward and sideways movement is better on the regular Google Earth for some reason. Must be something due to the format in the way it was initially set up in RVPR.........???

Regards, Bankshot

18. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Good to know. Thanks.