Thought on North Eastern Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by John S., May 28, 2015.

1. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Well, I am in Cape May NJ at a campground. It is 600 sites and 400 of them are seasonal. To say that it is tight for a big rig is an understatement and I would go so far as to say some of the roads can only fit a car on the way to the park models. They did have the tree trimmers in here this week to help out. I also see that the sites are so close I can reach out my window and if I use my awning stick, I can touch the next camper over. I have to say that I do have 50 amps which is a very odd thing in this campground I see. I found that most of the places I have stayed in the NE have small old tight places and I have pretty much after this trip, written the area off as a place to go. Add in the traffic and the tolls and you add insult to injury too. I feel for the people who live up here with the limited number of choices of what they consider good campgrounds. I will head west and north next summer and south in the winter and leave the bulk of the summer camping to others I think. I wonder if my attitude is more representative of many. Lots of people have been selling their class A and the numbers of new units being built are still well below the hey day and will be for years at the rate they are going. Maybe the fact that the places to take these units are getting more expensive and harder to get into and have not kept up with the times. Sure if you have a large campground the only way you can fill it is with seasonal as the rest of the spots are mostly open.

Mamunur Rashid likes this.
  2. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

We have a great time in Connecticut. Campgrounds all over the state, although mostly in the eastern / northeast areas. Full, private commercial campgrounds are usually tight and small campsites - but not always. State parks have wonderful, huge campsites - mostly no hookups, but a few have electric available if they are not taken by campers who need electric. We just camped at Macedonia Brook Campground - no hookups, no dump station. Beautiful park in a beautiful part of the state. Checked out CAMA (Connecticut Antique Machine Association) in the morning then went for a hike.. well, a walk (lol). Hammonassette State Park has plenty of room for big campers, and is right on the water.

We have a 21 foot travel trailer, so maybe we can get in more places than other campers. Also, now that our kids rarely camp with us, we prefer rustic, out of the way camping areas.

When we wanted hookups and fun stuff for kids, we went to places like Otedah, River Bend, Wolf's Den, etc.

Lots of places to go! Lots of different campgrounds, laid out differently and with different attractions / amenities.

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

You need to keep your expectations in check when camping in CT or in many places in the northeast.

real estate being $$$$, taxes, high cost of living, environmental costs, permit costs all adds up to a awful lot less for your camping dollar.

Mike

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I guess we chose our NE RV parks a bit more carefully. Seaport RV Resort in Old Mystic, CT has fairly large sites, and a nice layout suitable for all sized rigs. Pinewood Lodge Campground in Plymouth, MA has nice sized sites in a great wooded location, also with many sites suitable for larger rigs. Gold Brook Campground, Stowe, VT, another location with roomy sites and big rig access. Timberlane Campground in Clarksboro, NJ has smaller sites, but still not all that crowded, also with big rig access. I could keep going, especially if I started on the state parks, but I think it's clear that there are nicer parks than those the OP apparently chose. Perhaps with a bit more research, he would have had a better experience.

5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Our favorites in CT is West Thompson Lake COE and Grandview CampResort & Cottages.

When our kids were younger we enjoyed Odetah in Bazrah CT also.

Mike

6. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I drove thru all the campgrounds there in the cape may area and none of them were really nice or at least on the scale of places we have stayed before. There is loads of farm land just outside of town too so space and land should not have been an issue and you still have to drive to the beach and pay to go on it and to park. Glad I went but I will not return.