How fast can you "get going"?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Luvtheroad, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

We were sweating out a flash flood warning last night (we're parked between a creek and a hill, in a "100 year flood plain", whatever the heck that is...) and are now determined to see how fast we can get the fiver going in an emergency. Of course, in a *true* emergency, the fiver is on it's own - lol - and we'll be getting the heck out of Dodge on our faithful steed...er, pickup truck.

I think we can actually get hooked up and slides in in 15 minutes or so. Not going to worry about bikes, patio furniture, hoses, etc. Everything inside flung onto the nearest couch or bed. We keep our important papers in a file box and I can grab laptops, jewelry and money out of the safe in seconds.

What's your "emergency drill"?

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Several years ago, we were given about 20 minutes notice to vacate a park when a sudden wind shift sent a brush fire straight toward us. We were jacks up and rolling in eleven minutes. The only thing we left behind was a 10' length of sewer hose still connected to the dump port. After spending the night in a school parking lot a few miles away, we were allowed to return to the park after the firemen did a great job of stopping the fire with just a few perimeter sites affected. Our hose was right where we left it, ready to hook up again. The satellite dish, tripod, folding chairs, water hose, etc, were just stowed in the back of our toad, and with two drivers, of course we didn't hook up the toad for towing.

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

That is one advantage of having a MH. Setup and tear-down are minimal. Our electric cord and water hose are on electrically powered reels so take-up is fast.

In April we were planning on leaving New Orleans one morning, but I happened to look at the weather radar while having a cup of coffee shortly after waking up. I saw a powerful storm headed straight for the city so we packed up everything and were on the road in less than 30 minutes. That was the storm that put a tornado down in NOLA just a couple of miles from where we were camping.

4. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

Just normal pack up time for me when we were full timing counting storing the dish and tripod
    was 20 to 30 minutes but I was full timing and this was for over night stays. If we had been some where for a long stay we could probably be out in 20 minutes or so with the 5th wheel, Lots of stuff can go in the bed of the truck without worrying about organization:).

5. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I would pack in everything but the electric cord. I might even hook up my truck if it fit. I can get going in my motorhome in 5 mins if I have to hook everything up but if not and I have hooked up the jeep and only have to do the electric I can go in 3 mins

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

My estimate of a 30 minute departure included everything from getting dressed through hitching the toad behind the MH. We thought that was a pretty decent time.

7. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

A fully insured older MH with a desire for a newer one. Hmmm? About 5 minutes to put my drawers on, grab my easily reached valuables, and head out in the toad. The better half would need to make that time, too. :D

FosterImposters likes this.
  8. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

ROTFLMAO. Good plan.:D

9. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

I wasn't sure so I asked my wife and she said less then 30 minutes. Could get several miles down the road to a safer location and get fitted better on putting stuff away better in the truck and trailer.

However if it's really got to go now, would do what RLM says.

In over ten years we never have had to take off fast as some others have. Hope it lasts another ten years.

Now when just taking our time moving on to a different location. No hurry, can take an hour or two. From the time we get up to the time we go.

10. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

A few years ago, we had to tear down our pop up as quickly as possible and get to town since we had a buyer for a car we had for sale. It took over 30 minutes to get the unit folded up, loaded, jacks up and hooked to the tow vehicle.
    We loved the tent trailer for many reasons, but we went back to a motor home soon after, mainly due to the better set up/tear down time. Now we can leave in 5-10 minutes.

11. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We had a close call just a few hrs ago, we're now at Salisbury ma. I have been paying attention to the weather today because of possible storms... noticed a line of storms coming in on my cell phone, we quickly button down the camper. No sooner finishing up the winds/ rain/lighting picked up. As the storm regressed, both our cell phones issued a tornado warning for our area.

So we got out of our camper and into our truck and waited. We're on flat land with relatively easy excess out...so we waited for a possible quick exit. lucky after 10 minutes it calmed down.

Storm took it's toll, lots of wrecked camper awnings, ez ups, tents.

Now there saying a possible round 2 in the next few hrs.....wonderful.....

Mike

12. jimLE

jimLE
    Expand Collapse

i campout.and of course,that includes a tent when it comes to me.i don't leave much sitting out/around.and here's what i have to worry about grabbing n loading up..when it comes to what left sitting out..
    tent,air mattress,sleeping bag,camp stove,8 cup percolator,1 camp stove and propane fuel canister,1 radio,1 mini tent lantern,welcome mat for the tent,1 or both collapsable chairs,1 pillow,whatever im drinking at the time...flashlight head lamp and a full size lantern when it's dark out.

what i might have sitting out.
    pots n pans,dish towel/drainer,
    water for washing the dishes
    cooking utensils and silverware

i enjoy the idea of keeping things picked up n put away,mainly when i wont be in camp,or close by.so if i had to pack up n get out fast,i might be able to.and now,this is something for me to think about.and maybe try out,on my next camping trip.just do what i need to,when it comes to loading everything into the vehicle..especilly seeing how im in tornado ally...