Nashville Or Knoxville?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by rkw99, Oct 7, 2014.

1. rkw99

rkw99
    Expand Collapse

Planning a trip to Arkansas to visit new baby niece from NJ. Mapquest takes us through Knoxville and Nashville, TN. Not familiar with this area at all. Looking for ideas/recommendations where to stop both from a sightseeing perspective and campground recommendations. We have an 8 and 10 year old so look for the amenities for kids such as nice pool and activities.

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

You didn't say how long you had. Assuming there's time for a few detours off the direct route, there is kid friendly Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg. The one in Chattanooga is even bigger and nicer, but that's a bit of a detour. Dollywood theme park is in Pigeon Forge as well as lots of other "tourist" things to do. Opryland USA in Nashville is popular with a lot of RVers and there are numerous campgrounds near it.

The River Plantation in Sevierville is nice and has a pool; although, I don't know if it's open this time of year. You will find several nice CGs in the Crossville area. I am partial to Corp of Eng CGs and there is a nice one just short of Nashville called Seven Points. It's on the lake where swimming is allowed. Probably chilly, tho. COE parks are a great place for a kid to do some bike riding if you have room for one on the trip.

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

If you're into music, the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville is pretty interesting.

LiveToCamp likes this.
  4. C n D Travels

C n D Travels
    Expand Collapse

Knoxville for Dollywood. Actually for everyone, good family entertainment. I've always felt Nashville was more for the adults only crowd but that's just me.

5. jimLE

jimLE
    Expand Collapse

im assuming that you already visited your baby niece...so if you did.and on your next trip.you might try out..Mousetail Landing State Park in linden tn..great folks work there.good camp sire for tents rv's and campers.i wasn't impressed with the appearance of the restrooms and showers.but deffently useable.and this was in 2013..and there's a lake there for swimming..and Knoxville and Nashville are somewhat within driving distance from there.and thats when your not in any hurry..