How to improve internet @ most RV parks?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by livin4RV, Apr 29, 2015.

1. tbillman

tbillman
    Expand Collapse

I find the wifi at most parks inadequate for my needs. I have started using the hotspot on my cell phone. Works faster than most of the wifi at parks and keeps the frustration level down.

2. Njoying-Life

Njoying-Life
    Expand Collapse

May I inquire, what WiFi antenna are you using? I recently bought the C.Crane.com xMile w/ repeater, it seems to work OK. A bit of challenge to mount to the TV antenna.

3. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

4. livin4RV

livin4RV
    Expand Collapse

Kudos to you tony s - you sound like you care about the service you are offering in Wifi, and thank you for explaining in detail the marvel of this "new technology" and helping us better understand ALL perspectives. When I am travelling solo i RELY on Wifi to keep me updated with maps/weather/fuel stops etc, and tho i can afford the odd blip/interruption of layover with NO WiFi, but because I prefer NO rezervations as i like to map out on internet b4hand possible parks to stay along the way and just stop driving...when i want to. Plus calling ahead to ask if they have decent WiFi only to arrive and it not work - gets chocked up to a 'hiccup' in the service, so that's not really effective. It gets unnerving when i pick parks based on their internet page advertising WiFi - only to get there and learn it's really a 'crap shoot'. I really do not want to unhook every time and look for a starbucks to keep connected!

5. jimLE

jimLE
    Expand Collapse

i've been to only 2 campgrounds since 2013...and the wifi is in the offices where campers check in at only..i take my nook color tablet with me,just to give me something a lil extra to do.(but) i don't go for the wifi or internet.i go for the enjoyment of camping..and to get away from it all for a while..i guess this proves.some folks are hooked on the internet more then others... L :D L

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Obviously, you go camping for relaxation and vacation whereas some of us live in our RVs full-time. Not having internet connectivity isn't an option for us. Everything depends on one's perspective.

Tallboy and jimLE like this.
  7. jimLE

jimLE
    Expand Collapse

good point..i didn't think about folks rving full time..

8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

BTW, if you're not used to participating in discussion forums, use of bold type fonts is considered "shouting" (as is using all caps). Please use bold only when emphasizing a point. Thanks

9. Cascaderambler

Cascaderambler
    Expand Collapse

Great work Tony, you have gone far beyond what most RV Park owners would or could do. Having a few years experience in the WiFi field I can say you are 100% correct in saying "it is a lot more complicated than most think". Even when you think you have a good system designed you will suddenly be faced with a perceived WiFi failure when a bunch of RV's pull in and set up their high power WiFi networks inside the RV's all shouting on channel 6 and creating so much interference nobody can get a reliable connection. Oh, and of coarse it's the park owners fault!
    Fortunately most WiFi gear being installed in RV's today is getting smarter and now looks for clear channels and dials back power settings, but until all the legacy gear is gone it will remain a problem.
    I tell people to remember the old saying in the RF industry, "we don't know why or how it works, it's all just magic".
    I've started working with Ubiguiti UniFi WiFi gear for indoor and outdoor access points, it's looking very promising that even a small RV park could offer a very reliable service inside the park, and if they have a big pipe the customers will be pleased.
    Thanks again Tony for leading the charge in providing knowledge to the community on how tricky this magical WiFi stuff really is.

10. Arron Delman

Arron Delman
    Expand Collapse

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share some thoughts on some your feedback in regards to RV Park WiFi.
    Full Disclosure: I am the Marketing Coordinator for TengoInternet. I came across this thread while working on SEO and you guys know your stuff!

@cascadereambler I'd suggest looking into Ruckus Wireless instead of Ubiquity. Ubiquity is a great product and works for most instances unless you have a lot of noise and lot of concurrent users. Make sure your park's attendance is in line with Ubiquity's limits. If not I'd suggest Ruckus. One word. BeamFlex.

I have been putting together quite a bit of Educational video blogs about outdoor WiFi, Tengo, and expectations. You view them here..http://tengointernet.com/tengo-ceo-connect-blog/

I would appreciate your feedback, and if you guys have some topics, you would like covered I would be happy to help.

Our goal is to help everyone stay connected, we prefer that you use our networks to do so of course, but if we can offer any advice or information to assist we will gladly do so.

We have some very exciting stuff on the horizon I'll be sure to share it with all of you.

11. Meyer Camping

Meyer Camping
    Expand Collapse

Several people complained that your company cannot /will not require or offer adequate bandwidth for the occupancy and or size of a particular park. Is this a fair statement?

12. Arron Delman

Arron Delman
    Expand Collapse

Great question. Short answer, No, that is not a fair statement.

Long answer: We aren't the internet service provider, we are the WiFi Network Provider. We design, install, and monitor the Wireless Network, the Internet that feeds that network, or bandwidth, is a separate entity.

However, we offer free ISP sourcing to assist our customers and prospects with getting the best possible ISP speeds for their property at the best price available. However, it is ultimately the parks decision to purchase the recommended amounts and implement the recommended network.

Below are some 60-second video blogs and infographics to help:
    bandwidth speeds: http://tengointernet.com/2016/06/09/what-bandwidth-speeds-do-i-need/
    ISP and WiFi: http://tengointernet.com/2016/06/09/isp_wifi_vblog/
    ISP and WiFi A perfect Garden: http://tengointernet.com/2016/07/14/isp-wifi-perfect-garden/
    Visit this site for an overview of our RVpark and Campground Offering: http://tengointernet.com/rv-park-wifi-campgrounds-communities/

It's also important to note that properties customize their bandwidth shaping and throttling based on data limits as well. This is to ensure no single guest uses all the data by streaming when they don't have the bandwidth to handle that capability.

We are aware of this notion will have some changes by the year end to clear this up when logging into one of our networks.

It is our goal to offer the property, and it's guests the best possible WiFi experience.

With warm regards,

Arron Delman

13. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

IMO Tengonet gets a bum rap because it designs and builds the wifi distribution system within RV parks but can't control how big a "pipe" to the internet the park owner ultimately decides to pay for. In my experience, some park owners appear to be overwhelmed by how much they paid for the wifi installation and then say "you mean I have to pay this much a month for an internet connection?" As a result, they undersize their pipe which means that their expensive wifi system will have poor performance. Since Tengo's name is on the connection screen, it's only natural to blame them.

14. drfife

drfife
    Expand Collapse

We are at Lake Livingston / Onalaska KOA. Great park. Tengonet Internet service with very poor download speed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

15. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Branding is very important in todays business. I'm don't understand why Tengo would want to put their name on a product that is sure to displease users. When I arrive at a park that has Tengo as a provider I almost never even try to use it anymore. Too many times I have been disappointed.

I had no idea that Tengo was not the provider of the "full" service. This company may very well be getting an unfair bad rap. If I were the CEO of Tengo, I would be protecting my name and not sell a service that will not work how it should. That is the same as an RV Park operator advertising a full service site, having all the plumbing in place except the final connection. Instead of the outflow valve only providing an outhouse with your name on it.

dbnck likes this.
  16. Meyer Camping

Meyer Camping
    Expand Collapse

Since I am in the IT business, I feel the pain of the RV park owners who are trying to provide a service. When we pull into a park, it is entirely possible that e will then have 4 people all trying to check email, update Facebook, check weather and any number of other things. That's just one site out of many. As a result, I tend to be much less upset than others with slow download speeds. I am on vacation, I can be patient. That being said, if my family all decided to start streaming Netflix and downloading last nights game from my HD recording while others are skyping their friends, we can use up an enormous amount of bandwidth. That is why parks need to be up to speed on throttling bandwidth hogs. In my mind, these types f people are being just as inconsiderate as the ones who are still hooting and hollering around their campfire at 1:00am.

I guess what I am saying is, don't be too quick to point the finger of blame at the park owner for not providing enough bandwidth (a big enough pipe) when it could be just some selfish person who only cares about the latest episode of their favorite tv show.

Geppetto likes this.
  17. Arron Delman

Arron Delman
    Expand Collapse

If you have low download speeds that is likely due to the ISP and the bandwidth the site has. The internet service provider and not the WiFi network.

Visit our guest support portal and fill out the form to enter a ticket for our guest support team. It is the fastest way to get assistance. http://tengointernet.com/guest-support/

Also, Check out ISP vs. WiFi Video to learn the difference between the two! http://engointernet.com/2016/06/09/isp_wifi_vblog/

With warm regards,

Arron Delman

18. Arron Delman

Arron Delman
    Expand Collapse

You are entirely correct here! We will be doing more in the future with our connection screens to assist in educating the guests and property on what the capabilities of that network are. I would like to say we have been seeing a steady increase of properties increasing their "pipes" which is a great trajectory of all of us!

19. Arron Delman

Arron Delman
    Expand Collapse

Great perspective. This is also true, and we do our very best to throttle individuals that are "bandwidth hogs". However, we advise the property on the best way to set their throttling, but it is ultimately their decision.

Also, we need to do a better job, by we I mean TengoInternet and RV Parks and Campgrounds on letting properties know what the capabilities of their network are. Many properties aren't mobile optimized or streaming enabled. Those are the properties where throttling and blocking streaming sites is of the utmost importance!

To Meyers Campings point, be considerate to neighbors! Sharing is caring after all.

20. Arron Delman

Arron Delman
    Expand Collapse

BC Wanderer, your right. Our CEO is fully aware of this issue, and it is thanks to people, like yourself, giving us this feedback. We have several changes on the horizon. However, we can't turn down a property just because they have the poor bandwidth. Our mission is to connect travelers. Thay may not be through Teleconference, but if we help that guest and that property send an email to a loved one that is a success.

You are entirely right that we need to help protect our brand! I will post on this forum when we finalize changes for our login system; the changes should be completed year end. We've also started creating education video blogs and posting educational as well as properties with excellent networks on our facebook and twitter.
    Here are some links below,
    https://www.facebook.com/TengoInternet/
    https://twitter.com/TengoInternet?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
    http://tengointernet.com/tengo-ceo-connect-blog/ - this one has short 1-minute education video blogs (My personal favorite) I have four more that will be going up by the end of the month
    http://tengointernet.com/learn-tengo/
    Again, thank you for feedback. If you want to help us with our brand feel free to give us an honest review on Google reviews. It would be appreciated.