Advice for campground in Pigeon Forge

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by DonnaBri, Jun 22, 2015.

1. DonnaBri

DonnaBri
    Expand Collapse

we are making our first trip to the Pigeon Forge area in August and not sure whether to stay in Pigeon Forge such as the KOA which appears to be in the middle of everything and has the trolley etc or stay in Gatlinburg where it seems more wooded and private.
    We are planning to visit the Smokey Mountains Park, do some hiking and see the water falls and not be totally in the tourist limelight, but also looking to visit Patriot Park, Wonderworks, maybe a comedy show and do some antique looking.
    Most of the Gatlinburg campgrounds (Jellystone) are 20 miles or so away from Pigeon Forge but appear to have more spacious, private sites. Whereas the ones in Pigeon Forge such as the KOA we were looking at have very tight sites which does not provide much privacy. If staying at the KOA, we would only consider a premium site as we are traveling in a travel trailer and have two dogs and two teens. Any input would be much appreciated.

2. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I have stayed at a number of places. I like Riverbend for location to stores dinner and stuff, Smokey Bear for Gatlinburg and my favorite is Anchor Down for views. With two kids, I would stay at one of the first two.

3. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Creekside RV Park in P/F is gravel sites with lots of amenities to include pool and a creek for kids to float in. If memory serves, it is on the trolley route. It's a Good Sam park.

Outdoor Resorts in Gatlinburg is much the same except more asphalt and concrete and . A bit more of a drive and a tab bit more costly.

If the kids, or adults, are into baseball, I would recommend taking in a minor league baseball game. The Tennessee Smokies have a very nice stadium in Sevierville. Field level seats for about $10.

4. jimLE

jimLE
    Expand Collapse

i go with the more wooded and private campgrounds.but then again.i guess that's more from growing up in the country.and being use to that..

5. Lawnmower

Lawnmower
    Expand Collapse

The camp ground at Pigeon Forge (KOA) was the worst one I have stayed at very small sites and if it has rained it is very muddy.

6. seeemmiss

seeemmiss
    Expand Collapse

We really like Pine Mountain RV Park in Pigeon Forge. It is at red light #6 and you really can't tell you are in down town until you top the hill after leaving the park, Try to get a site that backs up to the creek. The middle sites are a little tight but not bad. All the sites are paved and level. The two best sites are 61 and 62 but are usually not available. If you stay on the Jellystone side like you mentioned, it is quite a drive to Pigeon Forge, (you have to cross the mountain). We stayed at Pine Mountain in a 35 fifth wheel and had no isues at all.http://www.pinemountainrvpark.com/home.html Also check out Big Meadow Family Campground in Townsend, TN. http://bigmeadowcampground.com/ My friend loves this place. No pool but you can tube in the creek. Not far from downtown Pigeon Forge and super quiet. This one is a more rustic or natural park compaired to Pine Mountain.

7. lmcorso

lmcorso
    Expand Collapse

May I tag along on this inquiry? We plan to head to the Smokey Mountains in late October/early November. We will be traveling in a TAB Little Guy trailer which has a heating system and a small kitchen inside. Are we crazy for going during what may be color season? Will it be cool? Will it be hard to get a reservation at a full hook-up site? We don't have children - just one small dog and we are not interested in Jellystone or tourist type things other than strolling through interesting stores, antiquing and taking in nature.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We have not been to the Smokies in the fall (only the spring), but any area that has fall color may have campgrounds fill up on the weekends. Personally I would make reservations, but keep in mind that if you change your plans, there could be a cancellation fee. That doesn't bother us. I prefer to know I have a spot, and if we have to change our stay, I'll just pay the fee.

We enjoyed Gatlinburg, but it was very touristy. We didn't go to Dollywood, but I would probably give it a try for the music and crafts. I think their Christmas shows start in early November.

When we were in the area, we actually stayed over in the Maggie Valley area southwest of Asheville, NC, which was very quaint. Be sure to drive as much as you can of the Blue Ridge Parkway http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/ and http://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm There are no bad parts. I would love to see it in the fall!

We also enjoyed a day trip on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad http://www.gsmr.com/.

So this is just a start. Keep planning and have a great trip.

9. TnCampersx4

TnCampersx4
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't recommend KOA Pigeon Forge. We stayed there last weekend for the first time in a while and we were highly disappointed. They have added a large group camp area and it seems that the addition has overrun the campgrounds ability to keep the facilities clean. Gross bathrooms, overcrowded pool, and very tight spots did not make a very pleasant experience..Yes they have a lot of activities for kids and is very close to Dollywood, but some of the activity staff needs to redirected for cleaning and maintenance. River Plantation is a much better and cleaner facility.