Web site has changed

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Robj, May 27, 2015.

1. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

As I recall, the system simply added the "I camped here in a { } " based on the type of RV you entered when you submitted the review. It had already pre-populated the answer based on how you had previously responded. With the new system it assumes that what you have in your profile is accurate and that's the kind of RV you are using. Doesn't seem like a significant difference to me.

2. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

If you have filled out profile info about what sort of rig you camp in, that info will be prepopulated in the submit review screens. That said, you can always change this info as you submit a review by using the drop down list.

If you have not set up your rig info in your profile you will be prompted to fill in this info in the submit review screens. We gather this info because folks camping in tents generally pay more attention to the camping experiences of other tenters and the same holds true for those in Motorhomes. Camping preferences while highly individualised tend to be similar for those camping with similar equipment; e.g. tent campers don't typically care about 50 amp service..

rvpr_rig.jpg

3. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I just did that, so we will see how it works on the next review.

4. Wecruise

Wecruise
    Expand Collapse

I agree. They made it pretty, but in the process it became totally useless to the serious RV'r.. No maps. parks indexed by city, "yuck" Several new sites are coming online that will put this mess to shame.

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

After saying this many times before, I will say again that we do have maps, but smaller devices such as tablets and smartphones must be set to the landscape mode to view them. So what type device are you using?

And what is wrong with indexing parks by their city? How do you think parks should be indexed if not by city?

And as always if you are having trouble using our site or trouble finding information, just give us a specific example and we'll be glad to help you find what you are looking for.

6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I wasn't going to chime in here but what the heck, we're all best friends right? Well maybe by my saying what I'm going to spout forth, some us won't be? I've been a member of this site since before it switched over to the the new format. Yes, there were some startup problems. I experienced a few of them myself, but instead of constantly complaining I managed to seek assistance and work my own way thru those problems. In recent months I have encountered no problems submitting reviews, posting on the forum, or finding info I am looking for, etc. I am no genius when it comes to computers and the like but most all of the times when I do have minor "glitches" they are easily worked out and I am able to move on. Why some folks have to bitch and moan about stuff they just don't seem to be able to wrap their brains around is beyond me. Hey, I be one of "you folks" and I enjoy RVing to the max. To have a site such as this to get info from and make comments on just about anything you care to (like I am here by the way......... :D) is great IMHO. So I say to those that feel they can find more and better info on another supposed better RV site, go for it. I think however you are going to be running into many of the same problems you say you are experiencing on this one. And with that being said I have to wonder what the real "problem" might just be............... :rolleyes:

Lighten up folks, the admins and programmers, etc. are doing the best they can and when glitches do happen they have certainly been able to get them fixed from what I've seen, or they will at least let us know that they are working on it. They are RVers also, and they are also "VOLUNTEERS" so give them a break once in a while. There I've said my piece. If anyone cares to take me to task for saying it, go for it because you won't even get my response as I refuse to get into a pissing contest over someone being upset because the format isn't to their liking. Don't have time for all that crap. It's summer, the old RV is awaiting my butt in the captain's chair and soon we'll be outta here and on the road again. Happy travels to everyone, including the bitchers and moaners................................

Bankshot

#26 BankShot, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Tallboy and Rollin Ollens like this.
  7. tripster

tripster
    Expand Collapse

I'm new to the site and the forum. I've been using it and submitting reviews for the past couple of months. I find it easy to use and very useful. Thanks for all your hard work.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I don't mind if someone complains or says they are having trouble. We understand that the new site is quite different from what our members are used to, and we will gladly help them. What does bother me is when someone makes a very general complaint such as "This site is useless. I can't find anything." but then when we ask him to give a specific example of something he is having trouble with so that we can provide assistance, he will not provide any details. This allows us no chance to show the person how the new site works or to help him find what he is looking for when in most instances there is a simple solution. This pretty much tells me the person isn't really interested in using the site anyway. And by the way, I'm still interested in knowing why indexing parks under the town is "yuck."

FosterImposters and dalsgal like this.
  9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I to would like to add my thanks to all the folks working behind the scenes here. Let me also add I to have had no problems using this site!

I agree those types of posts are no win, borderline trolling.

Mike

10. ArmandV

ArmandV
    Expand Collapse

I'm a newbie here and so far, I am able to navigate around the site with no problem. It works better for me on Chrome than on Internet Explorer.

11. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I've been here since 2007. The transition was a little painful at first but it didn't take long to figure out that it served exactly the same purpose as the original. A few bells and whistles have been added but the info I need is still here and it works fine. Like anything new, you have to slow down and use your noggin to navigate until you be familiar with the tools. There have been problems with the new program and I believe that bitching and whining does help the programmers fine tune the site but like Texasrvers said.........be specific. My thanks to the volunteers for donating their time.

Darrell

dalsgal likes this.
  12. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I have been a member here for quite a while. At first I had some problems with the new site but that is because "we never did it that way before". Once I got past that childish mentality I found it is easy to use. I see so many complaining here but, obviously, they don't explain their problem when asked and don't go to any admins to ask for private help. There seem to be one or two that do nothing but complain about everything and yet I'm sure they couldn't do any better. You can't please everyone all the time and some here, can't be pleased no matter what. Give it a chance and I'm sure you will soon realize how great this new format really is. Whining is not becoming to anyone.