rvparkreview statistics

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by duster340, Aug 13, 2015.

1. duster340

duster340
    Expand Collapse

As of today, this week, recently, could you post some rvparkreview numbers as in:

Date of creation and date of creation under the current name
    Active Members
    total membership since creation
    parks in database
    I saw there was 206,500 reviews, but didn't know how current

Just rounded numbers are fine.

Thanks
    Greg

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Could I ask the purpose for which this information is being requested? This website is privately owned and release of this sort of detailed information would have to have the approval of the owner.

3. duster340

duster340
    Expand Collapse

Could I ask the purpose for which this information is being requested?

Oh sure docj
    Good Sam has an announcement (ad) in this quarters Trailer Life (actually Good Sams Highways) about a website that is used for campground reviews much like rvparkreviews. I drafted a comment on rv.net stating this type of database already exists in several other web sites, digital format and publications. I was going to provide some general numbers of membership, reviews and creation dates of these other websites. Also, it appears GS is going to use these reviews for their ratings in their future publications. I feel the standard GS scoring system will suffer if their staff doesn't rate the parks as they have in the past by not using the GS questionnaire. Again, I have only drafted, not published my comment as I'm waiting on some other webpages to respond to the same questions. If you feel uncomfortable about my request certainly don't pursue it.

4. Andy R

Andy R
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We are happy to be transparent and provide the info requested:
    • Site Founded in 2001 (see the original version here)
    • Around 15,000 campgrounds
    • 80,000+ Total Members
    • 27,000+ Reviewers (submitted more than two approved reviews)
    • 6+ million readers per year
    • 1.5 million readers who return frequently (9 times or more)
    • 280,000+ readers who visit the site more than 100 times per year
    • 150,000+ readers who visit the site more than 200 time per year (our loyal RVers, thank you folks!)
    FWIW - 2015 is shaping up to be our best year to date for total number of reviews submitted. This November will mark our one year anniversary on our new platform. We've had tons of bugs and kinks to iron out during the last year and hopefully by November we will have made even more progress. We plan to launch some new features in the years ahead to stay one step ahead of the big guys. So we welcome the competition, in the end competition is great for consumers as it encourages us all to keep building tools that RVers find useful.

FosterImposters likes this.
  5. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

WOW ! Thanks for the info. I have used Park Reviews for many years and had no idea how much it was used.

Andy R likes this.
  6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

That makes two of us; that's really useful data. Never know when you may want to use it in an internet discussion! :cool:

7. Andy R

Andy R
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I was pretty surprised when I ran across the loyalty metrics and saw so many people who returned to the site hundreds of times per year.

2012 was a peak year as far as number of review submissions. I was concerned because 2013 and 2014 both showed declines. Thankfully, now in 2015, the number of submissions is going to surpass 2012 numbers. I'm actually going to send out an email to users who had at least 2 reviews approved in the past to encourage them to leave more reviews from their camping trips this summer.

To me the most exciting thing is to get the bugs worked out of our current platform. Then we can start to work on new features, specifically ways to help people find the types of campgrounds they enjoy.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

What blows me away, and something I don't see that you mentioned, is that according to our monthly reports we processed 18,226 reviews through the end of July this year. That's a lot!

dalsgal likes this.
  9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

That is great news! With the new site online this year that this will be one of the best! My guess with the new features coming on line soon which will allow more involvement from park owners, should make this site even more attractive for everyone!

Good work RVPR!

Mike

10. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Wait a minute! RVParkreviews is not the big guy? I always figured this is the biggest site, and the best! ☺

11. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

In the greater world of travel review sites, the big kahuna is TripAdvisor. Yes, they have reviews for a lot more than just RV parks, but in terms of total number of website "hits" they are significantly larger than RVParkReviews.

12. Jack B

Jack B
    Expand Collapse

No doubt they are bigger and their linking abilities to restaurants and attractions in a given area is really amazing. But they do not cater to RV'ers and don't try. A new start-up, Roadtrippers.com, does a better job at singling out RV Parks, Campgrounds, and Hotel/Motels.
    In the three years we've been full-timing I have been asked twice to do a review on TripAdvisor.
    I liked the parks and didn't mind. What a chore! There is no RV Park label or icon on the opening page headers. You have to hand enter a review for an RV Park. Then the questionnaire is geared toward hotel/motel visitors with questions about the accommodations that don't apply. Agreed, a splashy site that admittedly I have bookmarked, but they would have to undergo a major rework to come close to RVPR.

mdcamping likes this.
  13. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I figure that this is the best place for reviews. I look here for ideas where to stay when going going to an area and have been around since 03 I think. It was a friendly bunch on here and I knew John Blue pretty well too. I am happy it has picked up but I wish the forums would. I found lots of good ideas on where to go in there in the beginning.

14. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Social Knowledge, the company that owns this website, also runs IRV2.com. If you aren't familiar with that website, it has a much larger RV forum and there are usually mutliple discussions of campground recommendations going on at any given time.

15. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I am on that site. It is just that the people on here are much more reliable when it comes to campgrounds. I find though that most of the topics on the other sites are just rehashes of the same thing over and over.

16. RVL217646

RVL217646
    Expand Collapse

Doc:

I'm trying to contact whomever at Social Knowledge. I have a very interested person who wants to do advertising with them. Can you help me? AlanNeff001@aol.com

17. RVL217646

RVL217646
    Expand Collapse

Andy:

I have a very interested contact that would love to do advertising with SK. Can you point me in the right direction? AlanNeff001@aol.com

Thanks