Map corrections?

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Ned, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Ned

Ned
    Expand Collapse

I seem to recall that we could correct campground locations on the Google Map display. In the new forum software, that feature seems to have gone missing. Or was it put somewhere else?

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We've reserved that right to system administrators because we had far too many instances of map pins being moved to incorrect locations. If you notice a pin that needs to be moved just send a note to the Help Desk or post an item in the forum.

3. Ned

Ned
    Expand Collapse

Ok, will do in the RV Park Discussions board or here?

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

The most direct approach is to use the Contact Us links which will result in emails to the Help Desk. Or you can start a thread in RV Park Discussions. In the long run, either will work.

5. Ned

Ned
    Expand Collapse

Ok, will do. But I posted a message in the RV Park Discussions board yesterday, verified it was there, and later it disappeared. I'll try again to the Help Desk.

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Ned:

Are you talking about a forum on this site? Or is this a Facebook page? I thought you meant the RV Park discussion portion of this forum. You may have posted on something not associated with this website.

Joel

7. Ned

Ned
    Expand Collapse

It was on this forum, I don't go anywhere near Facebook. I reported the error via the contact form show you should have it. It regards Hickory Hill Campground, Secora, IL

8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Maybe it's already been fixed. I just opened the Maps box for that CG and the pin is exactly where Google has it at the entrance to the CG.

9. Ned

Ned
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I got a confirmation email that the map had been corrected. This is going to be rather cumbersome to have to write up every map error. Perhaps you could find a few trusted members and allow them to make map changes on your behalf. It's so easy to do when first opening the map and I'm sure many members won't want to take the time to write up the error with the correct location data.

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

If I recall correctly, at one period of time we allowed members to move map pins, but then the change was submitted for approval. The pin was not actually changed until an admin verified it was correct. What we discovered was that a large percentage of pins were moved from the correct location to an incorrect place, so we decided it was best to just let members report incorrect map pins either here in the forum or to the Help Desk. This procedure really should not take a lot more time; all you have to do is inform us that a pin is wrong for a particular campground, and we will make the correction. Hopefully there aren't that many out there.

11. Ned

Ned
    Expand Collapse

Well, we've been in 4 campgrounds in 4 days and 2 had bad map locations. I've sent corrections for both to the help desk. It definitely takes more time to open Google maps, find the campground, write the correction, paste the correct coordinates, and send to the help desk.

12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

What you are doing does take a lot of time. All you need to do is click on Contact RVPR and write a short message that says, "The map pin for XYZ Campground in town, state, is wrong." It is nice if you want to go to the trouble of telling us more about the location, but it is not necessary. And I did say hopefully there aren't that many wrong.