Maximum Vehicle Length exceeded

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by GAHipychk, Aug 10, 2015.

1. GAHipychk

GAHipychk
    Expand Collapse

We booked a site at a state park before we purchased our motorhome (booked with our popup) . It's a state park. Max vehicle length is 30' and drive 40'. Our coach is 32' and we are towing a jeep with a trailer. I know we will have to drop the trailer somewhere. But will they stop us at the gate for being over maximum?

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Our rig has never been measured at any park, nor have I heard of anyone else being measured. Your 32' coach will likely fit just fine on the site. The maximum length is often set based on other criteria than the site length, such as tight turns on the access roads, but a foot or two over will seldom make enough difference to make a site unusable or unreachable.

3. GAHipychk

GAHipychk
    Expand Collapse

Thanks!!! Hopefully we can get into the spot!!

4. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I have often wondered where these length restriction come from. No one in charge of some of the state or federal parks I have visited seem to know the answer, either. I just assume any published lengths would be the actually size of the site on which I am going to park. My decision to use the CG, or not, is based on the distance between front and rear tires of my RV. That is several feet shorter than the length of any RV.

5. QueenofQuitealot

QueenofQuitealot
    Expand Collapse

The only state park we've ever actually been measured in is Donner State Park in Calif. They have lines painted on the pavement at the entry kiosk. We exceeded the limit, but because we've been there many times (it's local for us) and always book the same site the ranger let us in with the usual caveat that another ranger might not be as generous.

The length limit is because the loop roads there are crazy narrow with huge boulders, tight turns, and overhanging branches so the limit is usually enforced.

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Our coach is 33 feet and we have never had any problems with staying in a reported 30 foot max park. I think they allow for people not being good drivers.

7. David H

David H
    Expand Collapse

We have never had a problem +5 as usually that is hung over the space anyway.

8. MarvMarvs

MarvMarvs
    Expand Collapse

Recently at Yosemite, we saw multiple rigs that far exceeded the maximum length of 35'. We ended up chatting with a couple of them. They have familiarized themselves with the sites and maneuverability, so they know they fit. I think that's key; otherwise you could arrive and not fit in your spot, and at someplace like Yosemite that is always full, that would be an issue!