Rv Campgrounds in eastern Colorado

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Caryl, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Caryl

Caryl
    Expand Collapse

We will be taking our first rv trip to Colorado next year. Looking for suggestions for our base camp. We are traveling from Nebr. and want to base camp before we hit elevation changes, not ready to pull the trailer on steep roads. Planning on taking day trips to sight see and hike. Thanks

2. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Basically, anything in the I-25 corridor (Ft, Collins, Greeley, Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Walsenburg, Trinidad) will meet your requirement of avoiding climbing mountains with your trailer. You only gain 1-2000' in elevation in the 150 miles between the CO/NE border and the I-25 corridor. Once you head west of !-25 (especially from Colorado Springs and north), you get into mountain terrain almost immediately. There are probably 100+ RV parks and campgrounds within 20 miles of I-25. So, you may want to be more specific about where you want to be. For example, if you want to see Rocky Mountain National Park, stay near Ft. Collins or Greeley, NOT Denver or Colorado Springs. If you want to do Pike's Peak, stay near Colorado Springs, NOT Denver.

3. Caryl

Caryl
    Expand Collapse

Thanks you Jerry S., your info is very helpful, especially your info about the elevation change. We will going to the Rocky Mt. area for this trip. I have been told that there are many wonderful campsites but also that some campgrounds are basically parking lots with hook ups for the rv. Hoping to fine a place that has more of a campground feel than a parking lot.

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Again, you may want to be more specific about your wants/needs. When you talk about "campgrounds" that are like parking lots, are you talking about those that actually are parking lots or those that just are not carved out of a forest? Many on this site will call any RV park a parking lot if it doesn't meet their idea of a "campground". If you really insist on the "campground" ideal, you will be eliminating a lot of good options. Then there is the question of what facilities and amenities you want. If you want all the whistles and bells (FHU, Wi-Fi, cable or satellite, pool, etc.), the site in the forest with all that will be hard to find. Also, when you mention going to the "Rocky MT. area", do you mean the Rocky Mountain area in general or Ricky Mountain National Park?

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

The Colorado front range is a large area. If you could be more specific about what areas you want to visit, I think we can help you more suggesting places to stay.

Chris g.
    Westminster, CO

6. Lisa S

Lisa S
    Expand Collapse

Hi! I'd love some help on this topic too. We are heading to Estes Park in July with a small trailer. 10 years ago, we stayed at there at the KOA and it was unbelievably cramped. We need more room at our site. Any suggestions as to where we should stay? We need a shower, flush toilets and electric, but do not need all the extras like sewer and wifi. We just would like a more camping feel. We are also open to checking out other sides of the national park, so leaving the Estes Park area is an option too. Thanks! ~ Lisa from MI

7. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

As Jerry S mentioned, the I-25 corridor is full of CGs. Estes Park CGs, even tho some are nice, are typically sardine can types. I've visited the state numerous times. When I do, I divide it into thirds. North-side would be CGs in and around Fort Collins. Mid-state would be Colorado Springs. Southern section would be Pueblo or Trinidad. That plan might help in sorting thru the reviews here on the site so that you could pick a good one for your base.