Roll over ads are pervasive!

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by RickB, Sep 29, 2015.

1. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

I'm sick and tired of the ridiculous roll over ads. They are almost impossible to avoid - and could swear I am avoiding them and yet they still pop up. These ads interrupt my CG searches constantly! If this obnoxious revenue source is the direction that "RV Park Reviews" is going to take, I'll search elsewhere!

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

First, I agree that ads can be irritating. However, most websites you look at these days have ads on their pages, and I'm afraid that will not go away anytime soon.

As for the "roll over" ads you say you see on our site. Exactly where are you seeing these? Yes, we have ads, but I have not found any that open up or pop up when you roll over it. I have found only one thing that opens when you roll over it. If you look at a review, the name of the reviewer is listed on the left side of the review along with the person's avatar. If you roll over the avatar, statistical information about the reviewer is displayed. The info displayed is the result of rolling over a particular area, but this is not an ad.

Having explained that, if ads are appearing when you roll over a certain area, you might need to raise your computer security settings. That will help block ads. And there is also free software that you can install on your computer that will block ads.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

There some browser add-ons that by default enable roll over advertising. I know "Torrent Tornado" installed on Firefox is one of them. That "feature" can be turned off in the add-on settings though.

4. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

I clicked on my state (Oregon). The state shows up and just to the left of the "Popular Campgrounds nearby" list is an ad for Fred Meyer. I didn't even go near the ad with my mouse pointer. It still opened and immediately displayed their weekly ad.
    This ad completely fills the page.
    The ad will also open automatically when I go "back" after visiting a CG website.
    Capture.JPG

5. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

Oh, and thanks Texasrvers and NYDutch for the suggestions on changing my browser and computer settings. I'll talk to my IT guy (son) about this.

6. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

I went to the Oregon page and turned off my ad blocker. An ad for Atlantis hotel was on the left, and when I moved my mouse over it, it expanded and started playing a commercial. I had to click the X to close it. Turned ad blocker back on, no more ads.

7. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

Thanks HappiestCamper. I installed the Adblock for Chrome and it worked! Apologies for my initial rant.

8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Don't mean to get off the subject here but I guess we are in a time when advertising is everywhere whether we like it or not. My big thing with ads is when you go to a movie. You sit down with your bag of popcorn and whatever your drink preference is, and what happens?!!! You get barraged on the big screen by a seemingly endless array of commercials that you see every day on your TV at home. I thought going to a movie was to get away from all that crap. What really pisses me off is that I am "paying" to sit thru these commercials and can't do a thing about them. At least at home I can turn the sound down or get up and come back when the commercial break is over....

Again sorry to sidetrack this thread but I think many of you will understand this particular frustration and my venting here................. Bankshot

9. Andy R

Andy R
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm sorry you all are getting these huge ads. I hope someone is getting paid well for those because we are not. We do have user initiated (5 seconds hover) expandable ads that will expand if you stay on top of them for a while but none of them should look like RickB's screen shot above. That's a huge add and is not approved to be serving on our site. At this point we need to track down if this is a unique occurrence or many are getting this. Then we need to figure out who is "injecting" this ad into our ad tags (none of our ad sizes are set to allow that). Sometimes people's machines have maleware that inserts this stuff too. So now we need to figure out which it is.

If you see the ad, please hover it and try to get the destination URL. That might give us a clue into how it was served on site. What browser (and version) are you using? What operating system (and version)?

10. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

For what it's worth, I've got firefox browser and free anti virus provided thru my cable company. The only ads I have is 2 small one's. One just above the "Popular Camping Destinations" and the other above the Oregon state map

Kept my mouse over it and nothing happened.

Mike

11. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

This is what I also get when I turn off my ad blocker. I think what others are reporting is due to malware on their systems. I run Malware Premium which provides real-time protection.

12. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I have never been bombarded with ads on this site either. I think what is on here is quite subdued. I actually stopped my normal viewing to check the ads out. I see only the two locations previously mentioned. I believe the lower location list the company that is inserting the ads for RV Park Reviews. If you check out their site ( https://www.simpli.fi/ad-serving-privacy-policy-3/ ) it will show how to eliminate seeing their ads.

Advertising makes this site possible so as long as it is not too much on my face, bring it on.

Darrell