Goofy Misconceptions regarding Full-time RV'ing

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by FosterImposters, Dec 1, 2015.

1. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Had a great laugh this morning while sharing with another Full-timer, all those silly questions from well wishing friends (and family) when we sold the house and hit the road in our RV.
    The one we got the giggles over this morning, when a family member asked, "How ever will we reach you?!"
    o_O
    Hmmm, my cell phone still works. How about yours? :D

Ok, my fellow travelers, what goofy misconceptions have you addressed?

2. Wildebill

Wildebill
    Expand Collapse

When will you be back? Or how long will you be gone?
    Bill

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

"Your camper looks great for traveling, but where do you live when you get there?"

My wife just reminded me of this one from a new summer neighbor near our Adirondack cottage: "You both live in that? How do you manage with only one bathroom?"

#3 NYDutch, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    PERRELLAS likes this.
  4. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

"...How do you manage with only one bathroom?"
    Ha Ha!
    At least your summer neighbor knew these rigs came equipped with a bathroom...
    I insisted on drinks and munchies in our new rig for two of our long time neighbors. They were blown away. Admitted they were expecting a horse trailer with a bed. Yikes!

5. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

"You are welcome to spend the night in our guest bedroom. It has a real bed in it."

They must have thought we sleep in sleeping bags on the floor.

PERRELLAS and Hutch333id like this.
  6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

My wife mentioned another one from a woman she met while grocery shopping. "Do you miss cooking in a real kitchen? Don't you get tired of cooking over a fire all the time?"

docj likes this.
  7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

One of our adult sons acted as if we were becoming trailer trash until he admitted that the inside of our MH is fancier (and cleaner) than his house!

8. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

We mentioned our idea of possibly full timing when I retire, to my wife's parents. Most of the family now thinks we want to become "gypsy's".

9. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

One of my favorites was "you can park in our driveway". We were in a 38 foot 5er. Tried it once. Never again.

10. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Right, and that goes along with "we have a spare bedroom you can use" which seems to imply that we must not have a bedroom of our own?

rracer5 likes this.
  11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We don't full time, but this is related to nedmtnman's comment. When we have had friends say we can park in their driveway, it is usually followed by also saying that they can run an extension cord from one of their outdoor plugs out to our RV so that we can have electricity while we stay there and that we can come inside to use their bathroom.

12. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

We get the "we have a spare bedroom" a lot from friends.

One of my brother-in-laws first didn't think going full-time RVing was a good idea because of all the trailer trash out there. Now he said even though he would never do it, he thinks it is a cool way to see the country.

My Dad. When we first got the truck and trailer he told us to stay at a campground because he didn't want it on his driveway, it would crack it. A year later he had the trees cut back on along his driveway, so we could come in and park it on the driveway by the house. Plug it in and hook up to water, so we could stay in our trailer on his yard. He even went as far to talk to the mayor of the town to cut back a couple trees on the street to his house so the branches won't damage our RV. The town's population is only about 1000.

13. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Last winter in Florida, we called my cousin that lived about 50 miles away to chat, and found that her daughter was visiting. My cousin couldn't believe we were actually "living in a camper", so I invited the two of them to come for a tour and dinner. When they arrived, my cousin was suitably impressed and quickly dismissed the "camper" thinking, but I think her daughter was even more surprised. She's a real estate agent in NYC, and after a tour her comment was, "I think if your motorhome was an apartment on the Upper East Side back home, it would probably rent for $3000/mo. Maybe $4000 if we said the steering wheel and dashboard was modern art."

FosterImposters and dalsgal like this.
  14. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Our RV was an old Trailways bus that had been converted. We were in a small town, sitting at a stoplight, and a man ran over to us, knocked on the window and asked "does this thing run?". Yes, I restrained myself from telling him that he missed seeing our feet on the pavement making it move like the Flintstone's car.

FosterImposters likes this.
  15. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

These are great!
    We FURTHER confused our former "sticks and bricks" neighbors, when we bought a space in an RV/Golf resort out in the boonies of southern California:
    "Whaaaaat????? You BOUGHT into a trailer park???"

I'll never forget the driver who delivered our new 5'ver out here. You see, it appears you have driven out into no-man's land, when the hi-way drops into a small, mountain valley oasis.
    He pulled through the main gate of the resort, and just stared. "This isn't a trailer park!" "Wow, I've lived in So Cal and delivered rigs for years, and had NO idea this place even existed."

Yep: even have hot and cold running water.

16. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Back in the 1970s my parents drove a 1957 fitzjohn bus (see avatar) that was built as a motor home. Needless to say, motorhomes were new and this unit looked like a Comercial bus. We had our fair share of getting pulled over by police after driving past a weigh station. Usually the trooper just had to see the curtains in the windows and the family of 4 staring back for him to waive us on, but a couple of times they came inside and took a tour.

We saw an ice cream truck driving down the highway, and my dad got on the CB (everyone had them back then) and convinced the driver we had 20 hungry boy scouts in the "bus", so he happily pulled over at the next rest area. He was still ok, just selling a few bars to us 4.

17. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I have heard this many, many times from non-RVers who come into the RVs we've owned: "Wow, this is nice." Meaning that they probably expected something akin to tent camping.

18. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Even though we don't full time, I've enjoyed reading this thread!

Mike

19. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I think the remark I like to hear best is when someone comes into our Class A and says, "What a nice trailer you have". Another time a gal actually asked me if we were able to back up in it so I had to tell her that it came with a reverse gear.................. :rolleyes:

20. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

"...what a nice trailer you have..."

Oh yes Bankshot, I forgot all those terms used to describe our rigs over the years.
    Sitting in our brand new Class A with family, and one gets a call.
    He says: "Yep, I'm sitting in my sister's trailer right now..."
    Okaaay... :eek: