Let me be the first

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mdcamping, Jan 8, 2016.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

What a pleasant surprise to find my favorite camping forum improved and expanded! It's great to see RVPR continuing to keep up with today's communication environment. Good work guys!

Mike

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

"What he said.........!!!" Great work guys and gals, really looks great.......!!!

3. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Ditto. I thought I had mistakenly arrived at the wrong site. Having visited almost every morning for the last eight or nine years, I find the change pleasant. Well done.

Darrell

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

A new year, a new look... I like it! Nice work, guys!

5. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I appreciate all the work that is always being done on this site but I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the newest change.

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I was waiting to see if I was the only one who had concerns, but the new format doesn't look particularly good on my new UHD display (3840 x 2160). There's an awful lot of white space and I have to increase the page zoom on Chrome to bring the text back to a readable size. See the attached screenshot:

forum.PNG

#6 docj, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Not trying to start anything here but for the benefit of the admins and staff who have designed this new site appearance, etc., I use Windows 10.1 with Firefox and have a 22" monitor. It looks great on this end. IMHO, nicely done. I like it. But then again I've been known at times to like something someone else doesn't and that's what makes our little world go round, right............. :cool:

Janet H likes this.
  8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Looks good on my laptop, I have firefox & windows 8.0. I checked it out on my samsung galaxy S-4 which I use chrome, seemed okay. With everything new there will be bugs

Mike

9. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks for your comments. We had several goals here. The first was to expand the available topic areas. The old layout had a couple of general topic areas and almost all threads were lumped together making finding content tough. We've added sections for tech topics, rv repair issues, and a few more. Hopefully this will make the existing threads a more usable resource for new members.

The second goal was to reduce vertical scrolling. With the addition of several new forum sections we made the page longer and that meant lots of scrolling. The old layout had a lot of unused vertical space and so we tightened up that space. There is the perception of more white space because, we cleaned up the unneeded navigation blocks and used cleaner fonts, etc. We're still making some tweaks and hope that with some time you'll come to like the cleaner interface.

In the coming months there will some new content in the side bar and we wanted to prepare for that -make a little room. Stay tuned for additional block in the side bar to feature the latest photo loaded with a review, a feed of new reviews and more...

FosterImposters and mdcamping like this.
  10. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

11. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I like the new changes with a couple of comments/suggestions. When I saw the two sub-headings "tech talk" & "towing, vehicles, maintenance and repairs", I thought these were kind of redundant (both dealing with the repair and maintenance of RVs). Only after seeing the topics under "tech talk" did I see this forum was for wifi, computers, cell phones, and other electronic devices used on the road.

Could a short description be added to each subheadings to describe what topics are covered in each?

My other request would be, please be very selective about new headings and subheadings. I've seen many forums (Rv and not) that have forums that are too granular to find any useful and interesting discussions.

Otherwise, nice changes, keep up the good work!

12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thank you for your suggestions, but I think our topics already have descriptions? Here's what they say:

Tech Talk
    Gear on the go! Mobile devices, GPS, navigation, internet, wifi, cellular, cable and satellite service, computers and other electronics.

Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs
    Tow vehicles, towing concerns, dinghies, toads, repairs and regular maintenance.

Also we agree that there can be too many topics and subtopics, etc., but if we pile too many unrelated threads/posts under one topic, it makes it hard to find information you are interested in. We will try very hard to keep a balance and hopefully provide the most efficient way to locate information.

Again thanks for your suggestions to make our forum better, and we appreciate your support.

FosterImposters likes this.
  13. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Ok, this is another issue of me looking at the site on my smartphone rather than a "real" computer. All I see is the topic headings. The descriptions make it much clearer!

14. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Guess those smartphones aren't so smart after all. I actually refer to mine as a smartass phone because it never does what I tell it to do. It only does what it wants to do.:p

15. Skymessenger

Skymessenger
    Expand Collapse

I too want to say "Good Job". This is a good site and I appreciate all the work yall put into this task. Keep your head up and continue moving forward.

16. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Skymessenger, do you mind if I quote your last sentence? Most excellent! Cheers mate.
    "Keep your head up and continue moving forward."

17. Skymessenger

Skymessenger
    Expand Collapse

Feel free to do what you lIke with it. Sorry for taking too long to respond.