Fraser Island Queensland

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Jason Goodwin, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Fraser island is the worlds largest sand island. Situated around the southern part of the Queensland coast it is a haven for fishing, camping and exploring and is on most Queenslanders bucket list to do at least once.

http://www.fraserisland.net/

We made the trip with 4wd, kids a caravan and friends in 2012 and stayed in the Cathederals caravan park.

http://www.cathedralsonfraser.com.au/

p1050568.jpg
    Fraser Island is accessed only by barge. For us it was from a place called Inskip Point. Getting bogged is a rite of passage getting onto the barge as you cross 300 metres of soft beach to get on.
    p1050421.jpg
    Once on the island its about a 2 hour drive north to the park. All of it on 70 mile beach which is a gazetted highway with speed limits and rules.
    p1050567.jpg
    Travelling at low tide is a must but there are still cut outs to get around areas that the tide makes impossible.
    p1050566.jpg
    In many areas you have to travel through the coffee rock to keep heading North.
    p1050402.jpg
    Getting into the Caravan Park is a pit dicey with the order of the day being momentum. This is the ramp you have to tow the van UP! to get into the park. And that's just the beginning.
    p1050557.jpg
    Once there its just like any park with excellent amenities and great sites. The island has the most pure breed dingoes (Australian Wild Dogs) in the world. However you have to be very careful. The animals are wild and have actual killed 2 small children in the last 7 - 10 years. I was very, very wary of the buggers all the time as our group had 8 kids under 8 in it.

So what do you do on Fraser..........

BankShot likes this.
  2. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Well Fraser Island is to be explored.
    p1050370.jpg
    Being the largest sand island in the world the island has many sand tracks throughout and is actually a massive fresh water filter. The water, millions of gallons a day, that runs out of the island can be drunk.
    p1050414.jpg
    The beach provides the main highway that all of the islands natural attractions run off. A view up through the canopy
    p1050564.jpg
    The Maheno ran aground on Fraser Island many years ago and is slowly rotting away.
    Fraser_1.jpg
    You can get pretty close.
    Fraser_3.jpg
    But the highlight is a place called Eli Creek. This is the standard set up.
    Fraser_4.jpg
    A timber walkway takes you to where the creek bubbles up out of the ground.
    Fraser_6.jpg
    You just float or walk down the creek to the beach.
    Fraser_2.jpg
    Right to the mouth...and then you just go back and do it again.
    Fraser_5.jpg
    My kids just hate exploring...LOL.
    p1050333.jpg
    We spent a week on Fraser in September 2012. Cant wait to get back. And I didn't even mention the Champagne Pools, Indian Head and Central Station.

mdcamping and BankShot like this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Jason - You continue to amaze us all ( I take the liberty here of speaking for all us Yanks) with your great camera work and wonderful pics of the places you and your family travel to. Really makes me want to come back to Australia again for sure. All the best to you mate, you live the good life and it really shows in your travels and how you do so as a family. Really neat..............

Regards, BankShot (aka Terry)

Jason Goodwin likes this.
  4. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Terry @BankShot glad you enjoy! I actually posted 2 trip reports this time had a bit of time.
    Coming soon
    2016 - Kenilworth Homestead Bush Camping March/April
    2016 - Stanthorpe Winter Camping in the wine country

5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Great stuff, Jason! Keep them coming so we can all experience a bit of "down under", albeit vicariously. :D

6. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

Great photos of a lovely place. Makes me want to go there. Thanks.

7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

X2

Mike