Helpful votes

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by USMCRET, Feb 5, 2016.

1. USMCRET

USMCRET
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps I've missed it, but is there a way to tell which of your reviews received "helpful" votes?

2. Jack B

Jack B
    Expand Collapse

Sure, Marine, go back to the page of one of the parks you reviewed. Make sure it is the full page with your icon showing to the left of the review. Under your icon will be your review count and if anyone felt it helpful.
    Glad to help, I'm sure you weren't on the gate giving me grief every time I went on liberty.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Jack B is correct on how you can see if your reviews have received a helpful vote.

And here is a little more information: You can also go to your profile and near the top of the page the number of helpful votes you have received will be displayed. Unfortunately that page does not show which reviews the votes were for; however, we are working on a way for members to see a list of their reviews that have received helpful votes.

Cyclonic and FosterImposters like this.
  4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Jack B's approach is interesting but useless from a practical perspective if you have a lot of submitted reviews. I just checked--I have 159 reviews and 26 helpful votes. I'm surely not going to bother going through them one by one just to see which ones were liked.

5. Jack B

Jack B
    Expand Collapse

see Texasrvers post directly above yours, for an answer to your concern

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

To be more accurate, Texasrvers' post does't provide an answer, just an acknowledgement that the problem exists and is being worked on. Not at all the same thing.

In fact, I've tried going through my reviews one at a time and have yet to see which ones were judged to be helpful. Yes, my avatar is displayed alongside the review with the summary totals of the number of reviews and the number of helpful votes, but I've yet to see a separate line indicating that the review I am viewing was voted as helpful by someone. I guess I'll have to look at more of them to see if I can find the helpful ones.

7. USMCRET

USMCRET
    Expand Collapse

I found the same thing Joel. I have a more manageable number of reviews to look at and there is no indication anywhere of which ones people liked.

From Texasrvers' post, it appears an effort will be made to provide what I'm looking for, and I'm good with that.

Thanks.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I just did quite a bit of testing, and I am more confused than ever which has caused me to say right up front that this Helpful Review function needs some work.

Here's what all I discovered.

1. There are two ways to see if any of your reviews (or another member's reviews) have received a helpful vote:
    --Go to the member's profile page, and the number of helpful reviews will be displayed there.
    --Mouse over the member's avatar (this has to be when the avatar is beside a review, not when the avatar is beside a post in the forum) and a pop up box will appear that contains several statistics including Helpful Reviews (received). Note that this box also displays the number of Helpful Votes the member has given.
    (As a side note I discovered that when you mouse over the avatar the box sometimes disappears in 1-2 seconds but other times it does not. That needs to be fixed.)
    As we've already established, neither of these places shows which reviews have been deemed helpful; it only displays how many.

2. As a test I marked several reviews as being helpful.

3. Once a review is marked as helpful, that designation is or is not displayed depending on who views the review:
    --The person marking the review sees the message, "You rated this review as helpful."
    --Other members see the "Was this campground review helpful? Yes/No ", and they can still vote.
    --Anyone who is not a registered member sees the Yes/No wording, but if they try to vote, they receive a message indicating they need to register.

4. Up until just now I was sure I had looked up one of my reviews that had a helpful vote and had seen a message on it indicating that it had received the vote. I know for sure this review has a vote because it was done as a test. That is why I agreed with Jack B earlier on how to find your helpful reviews. But today when I looked at that same review I see nothing on it that indicates it has been marked. So I do not know what is going on. Either I am mistaken about seeing the designation on my review earlier, or something has changed.

I will definitely pass this along to the programmers, and I will emphasize that members need to be able to see which reviews have been marked as helpful. Otherwise this information is not very helpful. Thanks for getting us thinking about it.

USMCRET likes this.
  9. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

It should be further emphasized that there has to be an easy way to see your own helpful reviews; having to look at each one individually is not an acceptable solution.

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Exactly. That's what I meant, but you made it clearer.

FosterImposters likes this.
  11. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

For me I use the overall helpful reviews as they are. When combined with the other 5 points of information on the member profiles helps me make better choices on which reviews to consider or not.

That said the idea of seeing which particular reviews that are voted helpful can be a useful tool. Knowing what your peers are looking for in a review might help educate reviewers when it comes to writing more constructive/beneficial reviews. I wonder though how many members would take advantage of this.

Mike

#11 mdcamping, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  12. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

That would be great as it will help me write better reviews.