What Are Your Pet Peeves Rv'ing?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by imagardener, Aug 7, 2012.

1. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

My wife and I have a well rehearsed and agreed upon set of hand signals we use. That way we both know what a signal means. Park hosts and "helpful neighbors" often use inconsistent and confusing signalling. We much prefer to do it ourselves, but we also appreciate being taken to a site when we're in an unfamiliar park.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We've been to two KOA's now where the site guide has asked us if we wanted any help spotting the coach on the site. When I said, "No, but thanks", they just pointed out the utilities before leaving.

3. drfife

drfife
    Expand Collapse

We primarily camp at state parks and COE's. Just give us a park map. The sites at state parks are more challenging than private parks. We do fine with me driving and my wife directing.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I've mentioned this before in another thread, but we use walkie-talkies to communicate when parking/backing the coach. Works really well for us.

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Amen to the walkie talkies. We use them all the time when parking and it works fine for us. One of the best things an RVer can own IMHO. And they even come in handy when one of us want's to "wonder off" on their own. By carrying one with us we can communicate to the other if needed or the other wants to know where "the wanderer" has wondered off to.................. :rolleyes:

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Cell phones would probably do just as good these days, but we got the W-T's before we had cells so we just keep using them.

7. drfife

drfife
    Expand Collapse

We use our cell phones. Retired our walkie talkies years ago.

8. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

Ya gotta wonder what that did to all the stuff in the trailer.

9. vmi1962

vmi1962
    Expand Collapse

4. All of the above + people that don't pick up after their dogs.
    5. Playing loud music and/or loud talking after quiet hours.

MarvMarvs likes this.
  10. vmi1962

vmi1962
    Expand Collapse

People with diesel engines allowing the engine to "warm up" for 20-30 minutes, especially motorhomes. With today's engines that is entirely unnecessary and it is extremely rude also.

docj likes this.
  11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I be going way out on the old limb by telling everyone my little secret of how to get even with "neighbors from hell". Pay attention as this does work but it takes a little patience and some initial planning and strategy. Disclaimer: This should only be attempted with those that have really irked you and done you wrong............
    1. Proceed to the nearest KFC outlet
    2. Buy several drumsticks and/or assorted pieces of fried chicken
    3. Bring back to the old RV
    4. Leave in box or bag but make sure there are several holes put in it
    5. Wear gloves so as to not leave fingerprints on said box or bag
    6. Under cover of darkness or when you can be certain they are gone for the day, go to one of the
    storage bays that your initial surveying techniques have discovered. to be left open or unlocked
    Make certain that you are not seen by other neighbors who may rat you out
    7. Open this storage bay and insert box or bag, making sure it is hidden from view when the door is
    opened later on. And believe me it WILL be opened later on. Hopefully after you or
    they have left the premises. This is where good timing on your part comes into play
    8. Make sure to close bay door before belly crawling back to your own RV
    9 It is guaranteed that within a day or three there will be a smell inside of their RV that will drive
    everyone outside. But first they will turn their RV inside out, upside down and backwards trying to
    find out where this horrible, disgusting, nauseating smell is coming from
    10.Unfortunately (for them) by the time they do find the box or bag it will be too late. It will take days of
    airing out their RV to get rid of the residual stench of that wonderfully aromatic and well aged
    chicken. The neares Dollar Tree will be selling them a ton of air freshener for sure
    11.Their constantly barking dog will refuse to eat it, so you get even with it also. A twofer if you look at
    it in that respect............... :D

Now don't any of you get any ideas of coming back at me if this happens to you. I will deny I ever made this post and simply say that someone must have hacked my user name and password to get on here. And you ask have I ever personally done this to a fellow RVer? Why of course not. How on earth could old BankShot do something that devious and nasty.................. :rolleyes:

12. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Bankshot, I swear you and I are kin....

13. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

It appears that you were close to typing "kindred spirits" but pulled the plug before finishing. Hey, I go out of my way to be as nice to others as I hope they will be to me but when someone really gives me some crap, I have been known to make a trip to KFC for dinner that ended up not getting eaten. And that's as much as I am going to say about this. In checking my above post I see that somehow between my typing it and it appearing on this thread, the sentences really got jumbled around. Wonder what's up with that. Oh well, I think I got my little story across to anyone caring to read it......

All the best Fosterimposters,,,,,,,,,,BankShot (aka Terry)

14. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I camp hosted at a state park where I could see the majority of the sites. It was no unusual to occasionally see inexperienced campers trying to get into sites. Some times more than others; especially, the one who couldn't get into an almost straight back site with a 5W. My offers to help someone depended not so much on how many times someone tried, but rather how badly they started off trying. Inexperience is obvious at the moment the gear goes into reverse. Starting from the center of the road instead of having the tires on the left or right edge and the DW who stands directly behind the rig out of mirror sight are two indications that the job isn't going to go smoothly.

Then there are those who forget to lower the TV antenna and hit a tree limb with it, forget to unplug their power cord before driving off, drop the 5W on the truck bed because they forgot to put the front jacks down, leave the brake on their toad and drag it half way thru the CG, or leaving the awning out in a wind storm and having it ripped off, etc, etc. I suspect that anyone who has camp hosted could write a book about the "entertaining" events that they have seen.

evadu and FosterImposters like this.
  15. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Going to camping shows and having them repeatedly say "oh we don't give your name away" and a few weeks later we get those annoying telemarketers.

Mike

16. littleleftie

littleleftie
    Expand Collapse

Newbie here---forum-newbie, not camping newbie. Gotta say that I agree with 99% of the pet peeves here. Out of all of them, the one that irks me the most is having people cut thru my site. I am far from anti-social, but there is something inherently invasive and intrusive about this "practice".

MarvMarvs likes this.
  17. rracer5

rracer5
    Expand Collapse

Going inside to pay and "shopping" while they're in there to boot while you're ...... still waiting......

evadu and HappiestCamper like this.
  18. rracer5

rracer5
    Expand Collapse

Arriving at a popular campground/resort on a busy weekend and finding that the reserved site (you told them you had a 40' 5'er) you were assigned is very tight or too small for your rig. Then, while going back to the office, you notice a 60' site with a 12' pop-up on it and another 70' site with a pup tent pitched along side it in the grassy area (so they could stake it down).

One or both of 2 things happened here; 1 - the office personnel aren't using their accomodations properly (they're not bothering to ask how big their customers rigs are) and/or 2 - the customer/camper isn't being reasonable/considerate by thinking "man, I really don't need a space this big. I'll go find out if they have anything smaller for me".

Common camping courtesy/etiquette or am I missing something here?

Then I get a visit from the manager because my truck is parked sideways & partially in the roadway!!

evadu and TranQuilguy like this.
  19. Hotwife

Hotwife
    Expand Collapse

You would be mad if I walked across your site?

20. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

If you took a survey, I think you would find that most of our members would not like it if someone walked through their campsite.