Goofy Misconceptions regarding Full-time RV'ing

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by FosterImposters, Dec 1, 2015.

1. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Ok: just this morning addressed yet another goofy question.
    "Aren't you guys cold in this weather?" :oops: Sigh
    This rig is probably the warmest home I've every had. Tad drafty in places in a howling windstorm, however most of my past homes had similar challenges, and a LOT more space to heat.

2. Team Lobster

Team Lobster
    Expand Collapse

We are on our second travel trailer but haven't done the FT thing yet - it is the plan when retirement rolls around though :cool: Thank you for all the laughs with your posts :)

I do have a very wonderful close friend who is doing the FT thing with her husband (who can work from home) and her two kids. Everyone thought they were NUTS when they talked about their plans to hit the road. My husband and I were the only ones who were like, "Right on! - Get out there and see the country!" Her kids are learning SO much more than kids just reading things in a book.

The RV community is amazing and there is nothing better than waking up in a new place in your fabulous apartment on wheels :D

Cyclonic likes this.
  3. PERRELLAS

PERRELLAS
    Expand Collapse

4. PERRELLAS

PERRELLAS
    Expand Collapse

Love this one...our family and friends always offer their guest room but I'll take my king sleep number bed with my own pillows and blankets, thank you very much.

5. larbac

larbac
    Expand Collapse

Not FT yet but while filling up the motorhome with a Prius in tow The guy says what do you get for mileage (chuckles) I tell him I average around 30 mpg His blank stare until I told him Prius 52 mpg and the Brave 8 mpg ergo 30 MPG average

docj likes this.
  6. GOTTOYS

GOTTOYS
    Expand Collapse

We were set up at a full hookup site in our fiver for the Winter. Rug was out slides were out. Wife was talking to brother-in-law who has never seen our rig, about the weather. His comment was " Well if starts raining too hard just leave and go somewhere else". My guess is he thinks we live in a tent and sleep on a couple cots.

7. DreamCaptn

DreamCaptn
    Expand Collapse

We have gotten the "Do you want to come to our place and sleep in a real bed?" comments from friends and family.

My response is generally: "Do you have a Select Comfort mattress? Oh, and satellite TV? Can I get up in my jammies and make coffee any time I want? 'Cause we can do all that in the motorhome. AND, not have to schlep clothes and toiletries back and forth."

Usually, once they see the motorhome, they get it.

We also spent several years boat cruising. Most people seemed to think we just went out in the middle of the ocean and sat. For weeks at a time.

If they haven't done it, seems they can't imagine it.

8. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

My reply was usually, "8 MPG. What kind of mileage does your house get?"

FosterImposters likes this.
  9. rracer5

rracer5
    Expand Collapse

My own 81 yo mom even got in on the comments. She asked "aren't you going to be cramped in here after awhile"? (40' triple slide 5'er w/outside Tv) I said "no, look at all the room outside, new friends, walks in the campground & stuff". Then one night, we had picked her up and brought her to the campground and we were waiting for my brother to arrive later (he had a bunkhouse model so she had her own room). It was going to be her first time since we were 6 kids in a pop-up in the early 70's.
    Well, wouldn't you know it, my brother broke down 2 hours away. So, I left her with my wife and a couple camping friends took off to "rescue him" and get him to the campfround (which was going to take at least 4 hours). So, my wife decided we should keep here in our 5'er overnight. She got ready for bed and my wife sat her in the Lane rocker recliner in front of the 40" Tv with a lap blanket (my wife likes it really cool inside) while my wife prepared the sofabed. A little while later, she says to my wife, "this is very comfortable, I could get used to this!" She's been going "camping" with my brother every chance she gets!

10. rracer5

rracer5
    Expand Collapse

Every once in awhile, my wife will catch me standing at the door, hands in pockets, staring out (must be a "man" thing). She'll ask, "what are you looking at"? I just say, "just checking out the new neighborhood"

It's a great life.....ain't it?