Outback Queensland Australia Bush Camping Weekend April 2016

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Jason Goodwin, May 4, 2016.

1. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Jondaryan Woolshed April 2016

The Jondaryan Woolshed is a council owned property situated about 16 kilometres west of Oakey Queensland.
    [​IMG]
    Drive time from Brisbane is between 2 and 3 hours dependant on your suburb. It should be noted that the trip up will include crossing the Toowoomba range.

The Woolsheds has it all;
    Historical Village
    Cabins
    Powered Camping area
    Riverfront unpowered camping
    The Woolshed also includes a new Café and, in September, a stocked dam for fishing.

COSTINGS
    Powered (Family of 5) 2 nights $51
    Unpowered (Family of 5) 3 nights $58

AMENITIES
    Near new toilet & shower blocks in 2 locations adjacent to the powered camping and café.
    [​IMG]
    The Café
    Originally we planned to go for 2 nights arriving on the Saturday morning. A review of the distance involved and the fact that the powered sites did not include an area for a fire we elected to change to unpowered and find a nice spot.

I would also advise that the powered sites are similar to gravel drive through sites with small grass area beside them.
    [​IMG]
    Powered Sites
    There are others in and around the perimeter fence which can be subject to road noise and limited privacy if you are seeking a bush camping experience.

2. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Arriving from Brisbane around 12md we booked in (they lost our booking….but fixed) we realised that the river front areas were almost untouched and the early drive up was an excellent decision.
    [​IMG]
    River Front site views
    [​IMG]
    Set up was short and a location for our friends staked out utilising our witches hats for our best “Sorry Mate work area” look.
    [​IMG]
    Reserving a space
    Recently I have purchased and fitted Solar Leads to both the Prado and the Mothership including a short heart failure moment when my measured twice and drilled once experience ended with me nicking all wires on the breakaway controller in the Expanda (Audible sigh) that thankfully only involved me taking a few hours to check and re wrap every single wire……..
    [​IMG]
    Solar Time
    But back to the Solar……very impressed with the borrowed 130W panels that kept both the van and car topped up all weekend with little or no fuss. This will be my next purchase at only $209 including delivery.
    [​IMG]
    Sunset
    Finishing the cool but not cold evening on a riverbank around a fire after a nice BBQ dinner is something I will never tire of I must say.
    [​IMG]
    Fire Time
    The nights out this way for the weekend were also near perfect. I can’t explain it really it’s just not the general Goodwin travel weather…….LOL.

3. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Nice early start for the morning to explore the Woolshed. Our visit, unbeknownst to us, coincided with a classic bike weekend that included some amazing machines.
    [​IMG]
    The Waterfall
    With Farm machinery sheds, old buildings located disassembled and relocated to Jondaryan, sheep shearing areas, a working blacksmith and various rides on restored Farm trucks and wagons towed by Clydesdale horses the weekend was busy, educational and a lot of fun.
    [​IMG]
    Machinery Barn
    [​IMG]
    The Woolshed set up for an event
    [​IMG]
    Shearing Stalls and tables

Our return each day to the river bank for meals, swimming and a nice fire really made me not want to leave.
    [​IMG]
    Swimming Time
    [​IMG]
    View from the Beer Garden

The town of Oakey is nearby (16km about 15-20 minute drive) and includes a number of local butchers, a large IGA, a number of Pubs and very close by, the Museum of Army aviation that is a must for adults and kids alike.
    $15 for a family of 4-5
    [​IMG]
    Taken from our 2014 Western Queensland Trip Report
    When leaving Jondaryan you will find that left out of the Woolshed will take you to Toowoomba and Brisbane whilst a right hand turn will take you through to Pittsworth, Warwick and the New England Highway.

I have to say that Jondaryan Woolshed is amongst the best locations I have visited and would recommend the location if visiting with or without kids.
    [​IMG]
    And a big goodbye to Jeffrey......The Chook.......

4. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Hi Jason - it looks like some of the images you have posted are from another site and viewing is restricted to members of that site. Can you post them directly here please?

Jason Goodwin likes this.
  5. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Will do Janet these are my photos I created the whole think on word and copied and pasted it here

6. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Hi @Janet H can you delete the above posts I have re done the report and directly added the pictures. Sorry for the problems I didn't realise (Typical Male didn't read your full post) the pictures couldn't be seen.

#6 Jason Goodwin, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  7. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Righto....think I stuffed this threat up a bit lets try again then. Hopefully @Janet H can delete the posts above and I don't use too much space.

Jondaryan Woolshed April 2016

The Jondaryan Woolshed is a council owned property situated about 16 kilometres west of Oakey Queensland.
    Jon_19.jpg
    Drive time from Brisbane is between 2 and 3 hours dependant on your suburb. It should be noted that the trip up will include crossing the Toowoomba range.

The Woolsheds has it all;
    Historical Village
    Cabins
    Jon_21.jpg
    Powered Camping area
    Jon_4.jpg
    Riverfront unpowered camping
    The Woolshed also includes a new Café and, in September, a stocked dam for fishing.
    Jon_20.jpg

8. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Originally we planned to go for 2 nights arriving on the Saturday morning. A review of the distance involved and the fact that the powered sites did not include an area for a fire we elected to change to unpowered and find a nice spot.
    Jon_6.jpg
    Arriving from Brisbane around 12md we booked in (they lost our booking….but fixed) we realised that the river front areas were almost untouched and the early drive up was an excellent decision.
    Jon_5.jpg
    Set up was short and a location for our friends staked out utilising our witches hats for our best “Sorry Mate work area” look.
    Jon_24.jpg
    Recently I have purchased and fitted Solar Leads to both the Prado and the Mothership including a short heart failure moment when my measured twice and drilled once experience ended with me nicking all wires on the breakaway controller in the Expanda (Audible sigh) that thankfully only involved me taking a few hours to check and re wrap every single wire……..
    Jon_22.jpg
    But back to the Solar……very impressed with the borrowed 130W panels that kept both the van and car topped up all weekend with little or no fuss.

Attached Files:

9. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Finishing the cool but not cold evening on a riverbank around a fire after a nice BBQ dinner is something I will never tire of I must say.
    Jon_9.jpg
    The nights out this way for the weekend were also near perfect. I can’t explain it really it’s just not the general Goodwin travel weather…….LOL.
    Jon_2.jpg
    Nice early start for the morning to explore the Woolshed. Our visit, unbeknownst to us, coincided with a classic bike weekend that included some amazing machines.
    Jon_11.jpg
    With Farm machinery sheds, old buildings located disassembled and relocated to Jondaryan, sheep shearing areas, a working blacksmith and various rides on restored Farm trucks and wagons towed by Clydesdale horses the weekend was busy, educational and a lot of fun.
    Jon_12.jpg
    The Sheds are full of old machinery
    Jon_15.jpg
    The Woolsheds themselves are used for Bush Weddings and dances.
    Jon_13.jpg
    And still have the old Shearing areas.
    Jon_18.jpg
    Our return each day to the river bank for meals, swimming and a nice fire really made me not want to leave.

10. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

The town of Oakey is nearby (16km about 15-20 minute drive) and includes a number of local butchers, a large IGA, a number of Pubs and very close by.
    Jon_7.jpg
    But it was the simple things like rope swings that were enjoyed the most.

And nobody was seriously injured.
    20140419_101631.JPG
    The Museum of Australian Army aviation that is a must for adults and kids alike. He is cute!
    20140419_101518.jpg
    Lots of history of the corps I was supposed to enter after officer training. Damn Eye sight!
    20140419_102637.JPG
    Great hardware here.......Bushranger gunship recent camo Vietnam era aircraft.
    Jon_16.jpg
    I have to say that Jondaryan Woolshed is amongst the best locations I have visited and would recommend the location if visiting with or without kids.
    Jon_14.jpg
    And goodbye from Jeff the Chook!

RickB and Rollin Ollens like this.