Best Route From Bangor, ME to Roanoke, VA

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Larry0801, May 8, 2016.

1. Larry0801

Larry0801
    Expand Collapse

We are planning on visiting Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway this August. I have read several threads recommending staying away from the I95, which is what my GPS recommended. I was looking at going down through central Vermont and Albany, NY then I81 South to avoid the I95 and other toll roads. Any recommendation on this route or another route? We have a 40ft class A with toad. Thanks in advance for you recommendations.

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I lived in Roanoke for many years and still go back for visits. I would suggest that you connect with I-81 at your earliest convenience and use it to get there. It parallels the Blue Ridge Parkway and you can get on and off of either at any number of places.

Tour buses travel the Parkway so you should not have difficulties with the exception of a few places where there are low clearance of tunnels or bridges over the Parkway. One I know is only 10' 6 inches.

Speed limit is 45 mph and well enforced.

You might want to check out this site: http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=73

The Peaks of Otter is a nice place to visit. Mostly tenting, but several sites can accommodate large rigs. Non-electric only. The lodge there has a good food.

There are no upper scale CGs in the Roanoke area. The parkway does have a few in that area, but you will find them not suitable for your size. The one I use is Salem Village Mobile Home Park. FHU and room for your RV size.