Did I pick a bad route from CO through UT?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Vicki K, May 8, 2016.

1. Vicki K

Vicki K
    Expand Collapse

We have started routing our trip, well, actually been routing for a while, but I'm stuck on this leg of the trip.
    I had planned on going West on I-70 then South on US 191.
    This posed a couple of issues for us. Number one was gas stations where we can fuel up without an issue pulling a toad. I am not seeing many if any gas stations on this route.
    With fueling up in Grand Junction, CO, then the next Pilot is 437 miles. Our destination is the Grand Canyon area (We prefer Pilot/Flying J because of the 7 cents a gallon discount), but at this point, trying to find any station along this route that wouldn't be a problem getting in and out would be good!
    Not having traveled out West before and being from FL, this was a surprise!
    Any help or suggestions are appreciated! :cool:

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

It has been a while since we were in this area, so I don't really remember where we filled up. One thing we always do is ask at the RV park where the best place is to get fuel. They will know the prices and places that large RVs can fit into. Also if you are going to be in the area for a few days, do some exploring in the toad to find gas stations. Many times stations that are not on the main highways have the best prices. Seven cents a gallon is a good discount, but in our case we usually get around 50 gal at a time (We do not like to go until we're almost empty.) so the savings at a Flying J is only about $3.50-$4.00. That will eventually add up, but it won't break us if we do not use a F-J once in a while. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that we use a F-J when it is convenient, but if there is not one around, we just adapt. Wherever we have been, we have always managed to find some kind of a station that we could fit into, and if it was a little tight, that just made the day more interesting.

3. Vicki K

Vicki K
    Expand Collapse

LOL, yes on making it interesting to see if you can fit in a station. Although we prefer the F-J, we are not married to it! It normally is easy to maneuver around the pumps and not worry about getting out.

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

To stick in a quick two cents worth on this subject of fueling up, we have had really good luck using both Love's and Pilot truck stops in our travels. Both are very competitive in pricing and in some cases are located almost next door to each other. Example of this would be at the intersection of I-40 and 95 just east of Needles, CA. We've used both several times in this area. Easy in and out with large, wide bays that are no problem for Class A's and 5vers, etc . Both feature a regular fueling area for cars and smaller vehicles but they will also accommodate many RVs, even those with a toad. And for the largest and longest setups you can use the fueling areas that the truckers use and for sure there would be no problem getting in and out quite easily in those spaces. Again, just a quick couple of pennies to give you a heads up in case you haven't used either of these places in the past...................

Safe and happy travels.................BankShot (aka Terry)

Vicki K likes this.
  5. Vicki K

Vicki K
    Expand Collapse

Oh, we have no objection to using Love's, Pilot or any of the others. It seems on this particular route it is over 400 miles between any gas station. And yes, we are gas not diesel, which makes getting in and out more of a challenge.
    We sometimes wish we had picked diesel (this is our second gasser) for the no brainer on filling up. If a semi can get in so could we!

6. John_D

John_D
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the wild, wild west!

Out here you get used to stopping and gassing up . . . even when you don't need to.

There are many places where you can drive all day and never see a gas station.

7. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

We have driven this route before, and I'm sure you will enjoy the scenery, especially through Glennwood Canyon (I70), and Monument Valley (hwy 191).

As far as fuel, you shouldn't have any problems. My guess is you can fuel up in Grand Junction, again in Moab, and again in Bluff, or Cameron UT, depending on your mileage, and range.

We drive a 32' motorhome with a 90 gallon tank and about 6.5 mi/gal. And we never had any worries about running out.

You won't find any pilot/flying Js out there, but the gas stations are large enough for most rigs.

Chris g.

cfmelville likes this.
  8. John_D

John_D
    Expand Collapse

My experience is this . . .

I can usually fill up at gas stations along the highway, but not so much when I try to go to stations in town where the prices are typically a few cents less per gallon.

In otherwords . . . saving a few pennies per gallon doesn't always make it a better deal!

9. fyrmnjim

fyrmnjim
    Expand Collapse

We went through there 3 weeks ago. Except we went 160 over Wolf Creek pass.
    You should be able to get in and out at the Tuuvi Travel center in Tuba City.
    You'll want to get fuel before going into the NP. Stations in the park are about $1 more per gallon.

10. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

11. bobojay

bobojay
    Expand Collapse

A much more scenic route between Grand Junction and Moab is UT 128 down from I-70. It parallels the Colorado river most of the way. Lots of Forest Service and BLM land along there. Beautiful!
    You won't have any issues filling up in Moab other than the traffic nowadays

Daniel3359 likes this.
  12. K and L Jones

K and L Jones
    Expand Collapse

If you are still looking for advice ... We have a house in central Colorado and a house in Castle Valley a little north of Moab on UT 128. We go back and forth every few months. We are always pulling something during those trips. We stop at the Conoco in New Castle (Exit 105 - North side of I-70) and at the Conoco in Fruita (Exit 19 - South side of I-70). There is a good Shell station just south of Moab on US 191 (on left when going south). Concerning UT 128 ... that is the route we take, and I agree there are few routes that are more scenic. However, be aware that just south of the Dewey Bridge where UT 128 crosses over the Colorado River, you will encounter an extremely narrow (white knuckle) section of road with little or no shoulder. All you will see out the passenger side window is the Colorado River below you. There are places where you will need to use both lanes. Try to pass through this area (and Moab) in the middle of the week and the middle of the day.

13. bobojay

bobojay
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, my kind of road, narrow and winding...!:)

14. Doncooke

Doncooke
    Expand Collapse

The GasBuddy application on your iPhone, Android or laptop could be helpful on prices. I drive a 25' motorhome with no toad, so I can't help with the length issues.

15. DisneyGirl

DisneyGirl
    Expand Collapse

128 is absolutely beautiful! We drove that route with our 37' 5th wheel. It is much better than staying on I-70. I-70 is gorgeous at Glenwood Springs though. There are plenty of places to fuel up in Grand Junction and in Moab. So, you should not have any problem. I hope you are stopping in Moab. There is plenty to do there with Arches NP, Canyonlands NP and Deadhorse SP.

16. Bruce Johnston

Bruce Johnston
    Expand Collapse

The AllStays Camp & RV App (free) shows 45 independent truck stops in Utah. Have used the one in Monticello. You can explore directly along any route.

17. charles_from812

charles_from812
    Expand Collapse

We've driven 191 from I70 a few times, the gas station at 191/I-70 is ridiculously high. I can't speak to the 128 route, but I didn't see much on I-70. 191 South is kind of boring until you get to Moab, so if you're comfortable off the interstate, I'd try 128. This should be no more than 120 miles from the last gas station in CO to Moab regardless of using 128 or 191. Top off at Moab, it's 325 miles to south rim of the Grand Canyon (assuming you meant the main side of the park near Tusayan). There are gas stations near the UT / AZ state line, which is roughly midway between Moab and GC. We drove the 163 route once, which goes by Mexican Hat. Last time we took 160. I liked 163 better. Get familiar with the roads going through GC national park before hand, the signs suck.

18. Grumpy Old Timer

Grumpy Old Timer
    Expand Collapse

We have gassed up in Moab at Shell. We are 60' nose to tail, so you should be OK. We do use PFJ when they have RV fuel lanes where possible. Lacking that, we use Gas Buddy to locate gas stations along the way and and then Google maps with the Sat view to see if we are likely to get in. Look for lanes where you stay parallel to the store/building, or at an angle, rather than having to head in and then make a sharp turn out. Alternatives are station where you can get in on the end pump and then turn out to the side or go around the back to get out. We have been doing this for several years and have yet to be forced to unhook. Knock on wood, twice. ;-)
    I do wish there was a site dedicated to gas class As and long 5vers listing good stations to gas up. Anyone want to start one? I'm not up to it. ;-)

19. Dennis M

Dennis M
    Expand Collapse

We came South from Bluff, UT on 191 last week. South of US 160 there is about 10 miles of nice new pavement. That is followed by one of the worst stretches of road we have ever encountered. Not rough or broken pavement, but 20 or 30 miles of roller coaster type whoop-dee-dos! Constant pitching up and down, we ran as slow as 45 to 50 and it was still very uncomfortable. Tossed stuff around in the trailer as well. Driving a Volvo tractor with a fifth wheel.

Also long stretches of narrow lanes with no shoulders at all. Not much traffic, pretty desolate in places. I did not watch for gas stops since we carry 300 gallons of diesel so no stop needed between Denver and Tucson.

20. Defishin@yahoo.com

Defishin@yahoo.com
    Expand Collapse

We just made that exact trip about 3 weeks ago. 70 is a breeze and going south on 191 was great. If you can take 128 off 70W-before you get to 191, it's a most beautiful drive!