Motorhome vs Trailer thoughts and experiences

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by jbrv, May 16, 2016.

1. jbrv

jbrv
    Expand Collapse

Need recommendations for a single woman in her mid 50's for full time rv living.

2. Jack B

Jack B
    Expand Collapse

I am a full-timer with a motorhome and can only give you an opinion based on what I see in camp grounds over and over. Travel trailers seem to require a certain amount of time and effort to unhook and set up so that the tow vehicle is free for sight seeing or shopping. The single women that we see with trailers always seem to leave them attached. Not too handy. My wife and I have observed that the majority of the single women we see in RV parks all seem to be driving Class "B" vans.
    This is an arbitrary industry designation which makes no sense, but if you start shopping or web surfing you'll need "Class "B" as a beginning for your search.
    These are not the Conversion Vans of twenty years ago. Todays class B vans are small motorhomes on a van platform. They can be very elaborate and surprisingly expensive for all the bells 'n whistles. Want to drool? Google "Roadtrek brand vans".
    As often happens classifications can get gray around the edges you'll now find "Super B's" and "Mini C's" but you'll get the idea when you start shopping.
    The van makes very practical sense. You can go shopping and sight seeing then return to the campground for a very comfortable night. They are very cool, safe and secure.
    If I may, could I also add, if you'll be traveling alone, think about a small dog.
    Have fun shopping. RV dealers can really get your heading spinning, stick to your guns.

#2 Jack B, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    cfmelville and storms like this.
  3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I will 2nd Jack B's suggestion for a small motorhome, like a Class B or small class C or A, rather than a towable. Easier for a single person (man or woman), to back into a site, as well as park and drive while site seeing, than a trailer.

cfmelville and storms like this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I'll "third" what Fitzjohnfan said. We travel in a Class A and we don't tow so of course we can be limited at times in not having a small vehicle with us for sightseeing and shopping, etc. However we learned early on that rarely do we require a small vehicle when we are just staying a night on the road so we started renting a car when we reach our various destinations and that has worked out fine over the years. Nice thing with a Class C is that you can use it to do your sightseeing and shopping in also but if there were times you really felt you wanted a car I'd say just rent one for however long you need it for. One rental company will even come to your site, pick you up and take you back when you turn it in. As was also mentioned, many of today's Class C units are really nice and they even have slide outs incorporated into them which increases your interior living space very nicely. Take your time and figure out what it is you really feel the most comfortable with. Having a dog along with you as a traveling companion is a great idea as was also mentioned. So many Class C models out there and the looking and deciding can be a lot of fun as well as taking a few out and test driving them.............

Welcome to the forum, you'll find a lot of friendly and helpful folks here.....................

BankShot (aka Terry)

cfmelville likes this.
  5. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Writing for the other side of the equation, I hear of a lot of people with motorhomes switching to a 5th wheel. Many models now have auto levelling so setting up and taking down is a synch plus you have a vehicle to drive around in when unhooked. A fifth wheel also gives you a large interior of completely usable space unlike a MH which has the driving area in there with you at all times. Reversing towables isn't that much of a chore and many now come equipped with rearview cameras. If the engine of a MH needs work it means your living accommodation also has to go in to the shop at the same time.
    Lots of options to consider between MH's and towable. Have fun searching but don't get taken in by pushy sales people.

cfmelville, Janeen, SueBea and 3 others like this.
  6. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

You did not say How much you have camped if at all. If not I would say rent some small C`s and anything else you might think you would like. Talk to other RVer`s in the campgrounds you camp in.
    Rentals are not cheap but better than buying one and find out it is not for you. A lot of it depends on you. I ran across a lady 83 years old with a 40 foot fifth wheel that full timed She just followed the seasons. I watched her when she came in and set up. And would put a lot of men to shame. I found out that she and her husband had been independent truckers and he had past away. She said they both loved to travel and he made her promise to keep up what she loved.But even if not that experienced some people men and women are better at backing and such than others. But if you have not been camping make sure it is what you want before you spend all your money or go in debt
    and find out it was not what you thought it was. My wife loves to camp but also likes to have her home to go back to. Trailers are a lot cheaper to get in to if backing is not a mental block for you.As for hooking up there is lots of things to help guide you to hook up.

Janeen likes this.
  7. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

I would not suggest a travel trailer. We have one and while I love the floor plan and camping in it, Our anti-sway hitch requires quite a physical effort. Hooking up and unhooking (4 times per trip) is a chore. The additional tasks of manually leveling and stabilizing also take time and effort.
    If I had the chance to do it again I would have chosen a small to mid-size fifth wheel.
    If you are leaning toward a motor home, I think Wink's suggestion to try out or rent several sizes and styles is excellent.

Janeen likes this.
  8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

This is a common topic on RV forums and there is no right or wrong answer. A lot of it depends on how you plan to use your RV. If you like to move about fairly frequently I think the convenience of a motorhome is unquestioned. I watch with amusement the setup and tear-down procedures with 5th wheels, even those equipped with expensive leveling systems. With our motorhome we can be in our site and leveled with slides out in less than 2-3 minutes, all from inside the coach.

The other area where motorhomes excel is the ability to use their conveniences while underway. Our MH was designed to be fully functional even with its slides retracted. This is in sharp contrast to many 5th wheels which have very limited access to living areas without slides being extended. We can pull into a rest area, make lunch and use the rest room facilities all without even opening the front door. In a pinch the restroom even gets used occasionally while we are underway at highway speeds. Try that in a 5th wheel! :D

As for the occasional inconvenience of being displaced when major repairs were necessary, I think we've needed hotel rooms only 5 or 6 nights in the 5+ years we have been full-timing. Most of the time repair facilities have been able to pull the vehicle out of the service bay at the end of the day so we could still sleep in it. If you have a truck and a 5th wheel, you'll be without transportation of any kind if the truck is in the shop overnight. At least we always have our towed vehicle.

As I said to start, there's no right or wrong answer. You simply have to decided what's right for you.

9. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

One popular RV for female single fulltimers is Lazy Daze motorhomes. These are very high quality (viz., low maintenance) Class C units. We have a good friend in her late 70s who has been fulltiming in one for years, and she helps organize an annual rally of solo female Lazy Daze travelers.

Of course, the difficulty in fulltiming in a Class C is that you will probably not tow a car behind it, which is pretty inconvenient for grocery shopping, sightseeing, etc.

10. drfife

drfife
    Expand Collapse

I prefer the rear living area in my 5th wheel. Great views that motor homes can't appreciate. They get to see the road out the front window.

Doubt we'll ever have a motor home. We can set up in minutes and change Parks frequently.

To each, his own.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I posted on this thread prior but just wanted to add that there are of course pros and cons to each class of RV and I do agree with what drfife said above about having that view out the back of a 5th wheel that you just don't get with a motorhome. We have been to parks that have spaces where you back into their river sites. In drfife's 5th wheel you'd have a spectacular view of that river but in our Class A where we have to back in as he would, our view is out the front and that is usually facing other RVs across the way from us. That doesn't happen at all times but when it does the motorhome folks lose out. I have seen some really nice Class C units with very large rear windows that would allow that view out back also. Once again as has been stated, take your time and check out several types and models of each class and if it is affordable for you, then by all means do rent one or more for some short trips just to see how they fit your needs and plans, etc. Keep us posted as to how your search is going and what you ultimately decide to buy. Have fun, that's what RVing is all about................

drfife likes this.
  12. solo_on _the _road

solo_on _the _road
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I'm a male solo in my early sixties and have been fulltime in my twenty-eight foot class C for over six years. I've never met a solo full timer in anything but a motorhome. Those in fifthwheels and trailers are all over the internet - maybe they're all out west somewhere.:)

There are basically two different types of solos. Some of us are happily single and plan on staying that way. The other group are often widows and widowers and are looking for another long term relationship. The first group can get by with twenty to twenty four feet. If you choose to carry a lot of unnecessary stuff, you will need more room. My twenty-eight footer is too big. I'm not a member of of the second group so I'm not qualified to offer opinions.

Most class B's and some smaller C's have a wet bath. That means the toilet gets wet when you shower and you're standing in the shower pan at the sink. This gets really old really fast. At least some B's require the shower be set up for each use amidships.

Class A's are really trucks. They have more strorage and the weight capaity to use it. Parts are more difficult (read "expensive") to get. Windshields are much, much more expensive. Tires only cost three or four times as much as a C. With the exception of rear brakes, any shop can handle a Class C. By the way, crooked and incompetent vehicle repair people are the biggest problem when full timing.

A lot depends on whether you'll buy new or used. If you have the money look at new smaller A's or mid-size C's. I've been in units with slides both retracted and extended. I wouldn't buy one. That is going to limit me when it comes time to replace my current motorhome. I try to keep things simple. I don't have laundry, ice maker, auto leveling, and other auto start/stop/break stuff. Nothing repairs itself. So if I can't fix it, I have to pay some crook to do so- usually four or five times!

Good luck,
    Solo on the road

RickB likes this.
  13. mikel

mikel
    Expand Collapse

Wow, broad area to cover. Although we are not single in the last ten years we've owned a travel trailer, two fifth wheels and a motorhome.

There are so many personal issues here to cover with towables and motorhomes than actually living in one. One consideration is storage. We own a ranch so putting up a building for storage was no problem. If by "full-timing" you mean 100% no attachments to a house/apartment only concern would be...if you never done it before there's a chance you could hate it...after a year or so. What the heck, most of us have dove in at some point with absolutely no experience at all. Reading up, investigating, etc. only takes you so far. My suggestion is to rent a motorhome for a trip to see how you like it, or go on a trip with friends.

Driving it down the highway will not get you much respect from other drivers. Not everyone considers your driving 10-15 tons down the highway when they cut in front of you, in the rain. I personally neve liked towing our travel trailer. I could feel every tug on the towing system. They do sway from time to time regardless of all the equipment you get. I think fifth wheels are the easiest to tow. Pulls without sway, It's almost like there's nothing back there on the highway. I didn't really enjoy some of the backing in situations at campgrounds. Make sure you have a vehicle that can easily, I say Easily tow your trailer. These trailers can get heavy and your salesman really only knows what he knows, not everything.

Motorhomes on the other hand are an expensive set up. Your salesman won't tell you anything about the set up. They just want your name on the dotted line...I don't care how "sweet" they are. Honestly you could be married to your salesman and still shouldn't 100% trust them. First off, in salesman defense, they don't know everything. Initially inquire about towing set up braking systems. These will easily run into thousands of dollars. Try to get some of it folded into your purchase. If you tow, not all cars tow the same. We have Jeep for that reason. No speed limit problems, no transmission worries.

Overall I like our motorhome best. Don't let repairs sway you in your decision, unless you're buying used. All RV types need repairs, I'm sure everyone can vouch for that. Get out there, explore, ask questions. I have no idea what arrangement your come from. There will be some downsizing in all areas of your life. Say good bye to big closets and residential water pressure but the freedom will be awesome.

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  14. Organic1

Organic1
    Expand Collapse

We currently have the travel trailer that was on my bucket list! However, if I became single, I would opt for a small class c with a view out the back, or a B. If something seems to just not feel right in the middle of the night, much easier to leave in MH than trailer. JMHO. Whatever you decide, enjoy every minute!

Arizona Nancy likes this.
  15. fanrgs

fanrgs
    Expand Collapse

We love our small 5th wheel. We specifically ordered a floor plan that allows us to get to the bathroom and kitchen while on the road, so that we can stop for lunch without putting out our slides. We also have the big rear picture window that others have mentioned. However, there are two of us and, although we spend as much as a month to 6 weeks in it during our fall and winter trips, we are not full-timers.

That said, if I were a single, retired full-timer (not trying to use my RV for work), I would look seriously at Mercedes Sprinter diesel-based Class B+/C motorhomes like the Winnebago View. At 24-ft., they are manageable in town without a toad (especially if you carry a bicycle), have floor plans with living room and bedroom slides and dry baths, have an on-board generator when needed for overnight dry camping in a Walmart parking lot or at a rest stop, and have higher fuel mileage (and lower fuel bills) than nearly any other type of RV. Besides Winnebago/Itasca, many other RV manufacturers now build Sprinter-based motorhomes. So, it is now possible to find a good, low-mileage used one for considerably less than the new price.

If you would like to try a Sprinter before you buy anything, this Website lists 20 rental companies that have Sprinter RVs : http://www.sprinter-rv.com/ten-sprinter-van-rental-outfits-you-didnt-know-about/

Organic1 likes this.
  16. Bernadette Newman

Bernadette Newman
    Expand Collapse

For a woman traveling alone I can see a motor home, although my sister (age 50) pulls her lil Rpod around.... We prefer a trailer, we have the vehicle accessible and although we have never experienced an issue, we have seen times where motor homes have had mechanical issues leaving you with no accommodations while being repaired as most places do not allow access while in a shop (worked at an rv repair shop lol).

Pupcamper58 likes this.
  17. Nineoaks

Nineoaks
    Expand Collapse

I advise going to the RV dealers, and actually looking at the various types, sizes etc. If possible try driving some, and if possible maybe renting some just to see what fits you and your lifestyle. you need to make the decision yourself,as the old saying goes "different strokes for different folks", another consideration is what do you drive after setup, do you tow a toad. Once you purchase you are committed and being in the wrong one /type can be very bad for you. (my opinion)

Bernadette Newman likes this.
  18. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Over the years with various motorhomes, we've had an engine replaced, a transmission replaced, and a complete rear axle/differential assembly replaced, plus several other more minor issues that required shop repairs. In every case, we were able to stay in the coach, at least after working hours. The only time we've elected to stay elsewhere was for two nights during a repaint, when we didn't want to endure the smell. That time, we stayed in a nearby KOA "Kabin". All of our major work has been done at truck repair shops, not RV dealer shops.

19. Jack B

Jack B
    Expand Collapse

Our garage, a big truck garage that takes care of our Ford V10 drive train, allows us to plug into the building and also attach to the water spigot. Then...we are given a key to the building so that we can use the showers and bathrooms after hours. We usually allot a week for maintenance and any repairs because there is a downside: their big customers come first. Oh well, the view isn't bad and the price is sure right. All we ask is, if the work isn't done, get the MH back outside at the end of the day. We once spent a night in the garage and it was just too, too creepy. If you like big rigs, names like Freightliner, Mack, Peterbilt, and Kenworth are legendary, but not outside your window.

20. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We've been able to have the rig outside for the nights in all but one case, but that wasn't too bad since they let us use their waiting area lounge to watch TV and read until bed time. When we were waiting for a Ford remanned transmission to be shipped in, they towed us to a nearby campground for the three day wait. We just chalk it all up to being part of the RV experience... :)