Sway Controll Installation Help

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by desertcamper05, Oct 23, 2014.

1. desertcamper05

desertcamper05
    Expand Collapse

Hi all. I have a 25' toy hauler that is a tag along. I am towing it with a 2014 Ford F-250SD using a weight distributing hitch. After our last trip coming home with cross winds along the I5 grapevine, I decided to add a passive sway controll. The instructions have me drilling 6 holes in the trailer frame to mount the rear bracket. I am not really hip on doing this. I have seen them welded to the frame on several other trailers. The Lance Camper manufacturing facility is in our town and I bought the sway controll from them, and they do not recommend welding. In fact, they claim welding to one of their trailers will void warranty. Interesting since all the cross members are welded. My trailer is a 2007 Trailrider series made by Skyline. Anybody else using this sway controll and recommendations for mounting? I cant find anything in my owners manual that forbids welding, but 6 holes can't be good either. ANy recommendations? Thanks!

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

On my first trailer I use nuts, bolts, lock washers instead of the 6 factory screws... believe me it wasn't going any were! My second trailer I got lazy and let the Rv service people install it, they used the 6 factory screws. No issues with that either.

Speaking from plain mechanics, when one metal plate is secured over another (especially with nuts/bolts) the strength should increase

Mike

3. desertcamper05

desertcamper05
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info. I am going to install with bolts and lock washers. I am not to crazy about using the self tapping bolts that come with it. Thanks again. Two different RV dealers said not to weld to the frame.

4. Nineoaks

Nineoaks
    Expand Collapse

I used stainless steel (already had them) nuts and bolts, with lock washers and red thread sealer too as I do not feel safe using self tap bolts, seems vibration could loosen them..and why take a chance..
    ( I use Schwartz's law, He says Murphy is an optimist ).