"A Hair-Brained Idea?"

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Jul 19, 2016.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I was sitting around the other day and came up with a hair brained idea that some of you may actually care to go along with? We all communicate via this forum and I for one wouldn't be immune to shaking a hand or two when out on the road with any of those I've been communicating with on this forum. I have been thinking about having a small plaque made with my username on it that I would mount on the coach so that when we are on the road and staying at the various parks and campgrounds. Anyone who is on this forum who knew where to look for that plaque would spot it and perhaps stop by and say howdy. And of course it goes without saying that they didn't feel like doing so, that's their choice. I have wondered that out of all the parks we've stayed at and all the RVs we've walked by in those parks, how many were members on this forum and also how many might be one of the names I recognized. We have a "trophy shop" in the next town over that I've used in the past and they can make up a small 2" x 10" plaque with a name on for just a few bucks. We could all agree on what color that plaque could be so everyone would recognize it as our "forum plaque"? Example: RVPR-BankShot perhaps? I got the idea from a group of Featherlite owners who were gathered in a park we recently stayed at. There was about a dozen or more of them and each coach had a special "Featherlite Owners" plaque on the driver's side above the windshield. We could put our plaque in that same area perhaps? I am open to any and all recommendations if anyone is interested in doing this. I may just go ahead and make one up for myself and put it on for our next trip in Sept. and use it until it is decided what color and size, etc. we would want to have. So if any of you are interested in doing this let's discuss it further and see if we can make it happen. Who knows, two of us could have been staying at the same park in the same row or even just a space or two away and never knew we each belonged to this forum. If nobody is interested in doing this then I am going to go ahead and put a plaque on our coach and if anyone sees it and cares to stop by and shake old BankShot's hand, feel free to do so............... :eek:

PS: If by chance this idea is something that the administrators of this site want to do themselves to where the plaques would be made up by one single shop and the rest of us could order and purchase one with our name on it, etc. then that's fine by me. In fact if by selling the plaques to the membership any profits that were made could go to offsetting the costs of running this site perhaps, if that was something the powers that be would want to do It could all be handled right here on the site I would think......?

Safe travels to all.................

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

#1 BankShot, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Not a bad idea, but you'll probably have more takers if you call these things plaques rather than plagues!

I just couldn't resist saying that!

Paythebill likes this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Caught that one myself Joel and corrected it. But not before your old keen eyes caught it........ :(

Paythebill likes this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

OMG!!! :eek: I thought I would be able to correct my misspelled word but evidently I wasn't in time and the edit button disappeared before I got it done. I noticed it right before Joel caught it. My mistake fellow RVers, the word is PLAQUE and not PLAGUE as I spelled it. Seems my old fingers kept wanting to hit the G instead of the Q. Of course I blame it on my fingers and not my brain......... :D Thanks for catching this Joel, I appreciate the spell check....

BankShot............(aka Terry)

Paythebill, docj and HappiestCamper like this.
  5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I changed the spelling in the OP. Did I find them all?

The plaques are a neat idea. Maybe it will catch on. We'll pass along your suggestion to management, and maybe they will consider it. Yours is a more permanent idea than one that we had thought of which was printing up stickers that could be displayed on your windshield to show you support RVPR. The idea of having your username on the stickers was not mentioned, but I suppose there could be a place on the sticker to write it in with a permanent marker. We had also thought about making the stickers that would show milestone numbers of reviews so that when someone had submitted 25 reviews (for example), they would get a silver sticker. At 50 reviews they would get a gold sticker and so on. Course your idea sounds classier. Thanks for mentioning it it.

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Texasrvers - I couldn't believe I typed that word wrong so many times and in rechecking it after you fixed my error, you even missed one. Right after 2" x 10" is the remains of my mistaken spelling. Let's see what shakes out on this, I may go ahead and have one made up as I indicated and stick it up top over the front driver's side windshield. It will be interesting to see if anyone notices it and does stop by. If you folks who run this site decide to do something like you mentioned or even "go classy" :D like my suggestion, I'll replace mine with whatever you come up with. Would be nice if everyone's looked the same as that would be a lot more recognizable to us all and would identify all of us "en masse" as belonging to this great forum. Thanks again for taking the time to correct my typos................

Regards, BankShot................(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  7. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

Bankshot, I liked your review better before it was corrected :D

I doubt I'd be interested in a plaque but I think the sticker suggestion is great - except for using a permanent marker to add our screen name. HappiestCamper, WesternRVParkOwner, etc would have to write really small.

Paythebill likes this.
  8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

That last one is now fixed also, but you know, I put this into a word processor and asked it to find all the instances of "plague" and replace with "plaque." I wonder why it missed that one?

I agree.

No problem. Ex-teachers still have their red pencil handy.:D

Paythebill likes this.
  9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

That was just off the top of my head to think of a way the sticker could contain the username. If we ever do stickers, they probably won't have a place for the name. But just out of curiosity and for future reference, did you think the permanent marker would look tacky or do you not want your username displayed?

Paythebill likes this.
  10. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Nice idea. I'd be up for some form of RVPR sticker/plaque. I've occasionally read review from other members after I've been to a park, etc and wondered if we have been there at the same time.

Paythebill and NoVa RT like this.
  11. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

I think the permanent marker would look tacky. Many folks own label makers including ourselves. The problem with them is that the ink washes away in the elements.

Paythebill likes this.
  12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Good point. Thanks for your input.

Paythebill likes this.
  13. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

I resemble that remark :D

Paythebill likes this.
  14. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Sign me up!

Lots of good ideas here. I like the sticker idea. For me, I would think a RVPR member sticker by it's self would be a invite for a "hello I'm a member too" and maybe/hopefully a friendly conversation afterwords . Like the milestone numbers too! Maybe ''member since'' also

Mike

Paythebill and Meyer Camping like this.
  15. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I think I'm going to go ahead and have a small 2"x10" plaque made up with self adhesive on the back that I can stick on the front of the coach above the windshield. I spoke with our local trophy shop and they said they could probably come pretty close to matching the plaque color to the brown paint in that area and I would use either beige or gold colored lettering. As mentioned in my original post, it would read RSVP-BankShot if that is okay with the folks that own and operate this site and forum. Any of the administrators out there reading this post please let me know I am okay with you to do this as I won't make up the plaque until I hear from someone letting me know I am good to use the RVPR lettering on it................

BankShot...........(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  16. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'll check with management. Thanks for asking.

Paythebill likes this.
  17. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

If you want to do this it's fine so long as you are using it for personal use (rather than selling it). we have toyed with the idea of having stickers available but to date have take no action in this regard and they would be more generic.
    I belong to a couple of RV groups that have stickers and folks use them on their rigs. It's cool to see one on the road and often a catalyst for good conversation. :)

Paythebill likes this.
  18. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

When I get it made I'll try and post a pic or three of it on the coach. Thanks Janet H for the go ahead and Texasrvers for checking on this. I am hoping a few of the forum posters will see it in some park one day and come over and say howdy and even join me for a tall, cold one perhaps.............:D

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  19. Meyer Camping

Meyer Camping
    Expand Collapse

I really do like the idea of either a sticker or a plague (sic) though I might be partial to a sticker. I also really like the idea of using the color of the sticker to indicate how many parks have been rated. I just met a couple that uses RVPR and it was neat to have something instantly in common.

Paythebill likes this.
  20. Jack B

Jack B
    Expand Collapse

Let's stick with stickers. Not all of us cover our back ladders with plaques e.g. FMCA
    Why not follow Escapees lead and offer two sizes of stickers: One for the windshield, one for top rear. Use just the RVPR logo with the mountain in the background in a green oval, similar to the oval stickers that are now popular. Names? No! We can introduce ourselves if we see a sticker.
    I would like to meet many of the posters here and not to continue a discussion.
    "RLM" and I have probably passed each other many times. If I were to meet him I'd buy him barbecue at "Lum's".
    Rating the stickers by postings gets into ranking and hierarchy levels. The idea here is to be complimented by a "Helpful Review" accolade.
    Not all of us can afford the travel that garners large numbers of reviews.

Paythebill and Lisaand Smokey like this.