Looking for route advice.

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Hutch333id, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

I have asked the same question on another RV website so, if you have seen my question before don't be surprised. In my book, I can never have too much information, even if it is duplicated.

Next year we are planning on a road trip east across Canada from Calgary to Toronto, taking the north shore roads around the Great Lakes. In order to reach my target destination in as short a time as possible and allow us more time to see our daughter I was planning on driving between 700 - 800 kms per day towing a 40' 5er.

It would help me out enormously if those with experience and knowledge of the area could tell me if this is achievable along the roads at the top end of the lakes. Generally speaking, are the roads in good condition (mid to late June), is it a twinned highway, is diesel easy to find in this area, are the roads winding and twisting, undulating or flat and straight like the prairies? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

The year we went to the Calgary Stampede (~2006) I decided to drive along the Canadian side as far east as we could. We drove the Trans-Canada Highway all the way to Sault Ste. Marie where we crossed back into the US.

I can't attest to what the roads are like today but back then the highway was just one lane in each direction pretty much the whole way through Saskatchewan and Manitoba and it wasn't that smooth. These days we don't drive more than ~6-7 hours which, at most translates to ~400 miles (667 km) so your objective seems pretty ambitious to us. Furthermore, on the roads that we drove that distance would be challenging.

We had a gas rig at the time so I didn't have to worry about getting diesel fuel. However, the north shore of Lake Superior was pretty desolate and I recall that, at the time, there was no cell service for most of it. I'm sure that things are better now, but I would want to check things out thoroughly before I started on that segment.

Hutch333id likes this.
  3. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Joel. The only bit of the TCH I am familiar with it the bit going west from Calgary and that is dual carriageway most of the way. I thought that with it being such a major road it would have been dual going east as well. Looks like we may be diverting south and heading through the Dakotas, Iowa, etc. to reach our target.

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I just used Google street level view to look at a few segments of the TCH and they were dual lane in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Maybe things have improved or maybe what I remember best was the portion in Ontario around the north shore of Superior. That definitely still appears to be one lane in each direction. You might want to use Google to look at more segments of the trip. However, as I recall even the sections that were dual lane were not "limited access" with interchanges; they were 4-lane roads with intersections.

5. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I drove the TCH along many parts of it enroute to Newfoundland in 2010 and 2014. There are many good sections, although I remember a few pavement cracks in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. A lot of the TCH in Ontario is 2 lane and I didn't find it that bad except for the construction sections and the odd spot like one east of Sault Ste. Marie. Through Ontario, it is 4 lanes through the major cities and from Parry Sound to Toronto. However, as Joel mentioned, there are many 4 lane sections on the TCH that have intersections.

Cell phone service was good through the Prairies, spotty in the rural areas of northern Ontario.

The speed limit along the TCH was 100 to 110 through the Prairies and only 90 in many parts of Ontario (although everyone was doing a 100 anyway since big signs along the highway said the fines started for speeds 110 and above). 700 to 800 KM a day is ambitious, but it can be done. Back in the 80s when I started regular trips to my brother's place in Ontario I used to drive those distances for the same reason you want to. Spend more time with family. Now that I'm retired, I can take as long as I like so most days I'm lucky if I drive 400 KM a day.:)

Hutch333id likes this.