Nova Scotia/ Prince Edward Island

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Banditoman60, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Banditoman60

Banditoman60
    Expand Collapse

we are planning a 5-6 week trip from Mass to Nova Scotia and PEI next month going the long route up rt 1 and around as the cost of transporting the 31' MH and toad via ferry is waaaaay too cost prohibitive for us and we got all the time in the world so time is not of the essence. I figure an extra day/ day and 1/2 each way taking our sweet sweet time

we've been to Nova Scotia before on our honeymoon 35 years ago but only for a week hoteling it and flying by ...... its a BIG place and we didn't see all that much of it but this time we're taking our time to see what we missed

I googled it and know that the Confederation bridge is one lane in each direction (plus a breakdown lane) and myself being a Motor home owner/driver for only a year, I'm a little skeptical of driving over the bridge for that long a distance still being a relative rookie MH driver .... if anybody has driven it and back, how was it?

PEI island itself doesn't look all that large so another option would be to park the MH in a town near where the bridge begins and do the PEI tour via the Toad in one day and back to the campground.

any info on Nova Scotia, PEI, and the Confederation bridge would be appreciated and thanks in advance

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We've driven the bridge several times and it is easy. Yes, there is only one lane in each direction but there is a decent sized breakdown lane on each side. I assume you know how to use Google Maps Street Level View so you can see exactly what it looks like at any spot. It's really not a problem to drive.

I hope you understand that you only pay the bridge toll or the ferry fare when you leave the island. So one trick is to take the ferry to PEI from Nova Scotia (which costs nothing) and then leave the island via the bridge. For a 2-axle MH pulling a toad, the bridge toll is $60 ($CDN) whereas the ferry fare would be ~2x that.

PEI may not look all that large but there are few high speed roads and the craggy coastline makes it difficult to drive a straight route from one place to another. You can park the MH in a relatively central location and do day trips, but to get to the far corners of the island is ~2 hours from the bridge. I hope you are planning to spend more than one day sightseeing on PEI; there's plenty to do and you won't get much of a taste for the province without spending some time there. There's a lot more to PEI than just the Anne of Green Gables stuff that busloads of tourists go to see.

Joel (AKA docj)

3. Banditoman60

Banditoman60
    Expand Collapse

hey that's YUUUUUUGE valuable information. that's what I was looking for and then some so big thanks

I posted same on RVfun F/B page and couldn't fine anybody who's been there, done that .... my BIL also said to spend at least a couple days there .... thanks again

4. Piscesman

Piscesman
    Expand Collapse

I live on PEI and have RV'ed in a 32' class A and a 24' class C and a travel trailer. Yes, you only pay when leaving the Island and yes, the trick is to either use the bridge both ways ($60 RT) or use the ferry from Nova Scotia (free) and leave PEI via the bridge. You can travel the length of PEI fairly easily with your rig and toad (albeit at 50 mph) but the best way to see PEI is to park/camp and drive. Allow at least 3 days/ 2 nights to do it justice. The ferry is a problem this year...there is only one operating due to a breakdown and your RV cannot use a reserved crossing. Go to http://www.ferries.ca/ns-pei-ferry and call ahead to the Caribou NS terminal to check on traffic and crossing times! 902 485-5225. Enjoy! P.S. The bridge is no problem to drive unless there are high winds (usually NOT an issue in the summer). They will close the bridge to high-sided vehicles until the winds abate. You wait in a rest area on the NB or PEI sides.

#4 Piscesman, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Banditoman60 likes this.
  5. wallysmom

wallysmom
    Expand Collapse

My husband and I did your trip two years ago from NY. We took 6 weeks for PEI and NS. My husband isn't fond of bridges but we didn't want to pay the high price and waste our time waiting for a ferry. Going over on the bridge was ok, though he remembers a lot of trucks; coming back it was very windy and he really had to hang onto the wheel. In fact, while over there, they actually closed the bridge and ferry for a day due to hurricane conditions. Our visit was beautiful; we stayed in two different locations with the MH and used the toad to tour the whole island: one week by the bridge and another week in Charlottetown. We also parked in two different locations in NS and toured by toad: Bridgetown and Hammond Plains. Don't miss Cabot Trail if you haven't already been there, which we skipped on this past trip because we had done that a few years ago. Enjoy. The Maritimes are beautiful.

Banditoman60 likes this.
  6. BRD

BRD
    Expand Collapse

You didn't ask and I probably shouldn't interject, but I can't help myself: We took a similar trip three years ago, with this addition: We took the Newfoundland ferry from North Sydney to Port aux Basques and spent several days driving to/from L'Anse aux Meadows, the pre-Columbian Viking settlement. NL is a fascinating place: more moose than people, some of the oldest geology on the planet, lots of icebergs going by (a surprisingly cool thing to watch) and some truly spectacular views. (Plus, as strange as it sounds, the town at L'Anse has one truly spectacular restaurant.) The ferry rates for vehicles aren't cheap, but the ride is pleasant, the accommodations on the ferry are comfortable (we didn't bother with a cabin; I recall the ride being about 4 hours) and being in NS already, you can't get much closer.

Banditoman60 likes this.
  7. RayN

RayN
    Expand Collapse

8. Creigh Gordon

Creigh Gordon
    Expand Collapse

Caribou Campground (provincial park) near the ferry terminal in NS is fantastic. Ignore the directions in Woodalls and Good Sam, take the road going east about 150 yards south of the ferry terminal and follow signs. Ask for loop A for a view of the ocean, other loops are in the woods, still nice. Woodalls and GS will route you through Pictou, and you'll want to go there, a very pretty town, but finding the campground is much easier from the ferry terminal.

9. RayN

RayN
    Expand Collapse

We've taken our 36' motorhome over the Confederation Bridge many times and it is not a problem. If you obey the speed limit it will not be an issue. Two years ago we spend a month on PEI, 6 weeks on Newfoundland, and almost a month in Nova Scotia. All three provinces are beautiful. This year we're staying on PEI for the summer with family and it is wonderful. Lots of scenery with some beautiful sunsets and sunrises. We prefer the east side of the island because it is less touristy but both sides have something to offer. The PEI tourism people have the island divided into three segments. If you stop at the tourism bureau just over the bridge they have lots of good information about how to see the island. I would recommend planning a week to 10 days to see all the sights on PEI.

When we were in Nova Scotia we drove all over the province and really enjoyed it also. We especially liked Louisbourg, Sherbrooke Village (this is a maintained original 1800's village), The Citadel in Halifax, Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg (Home of the Bluenose), Yarmouth, Digby, Port Royal (we loved Port Royal), Annapolis Royal and Fort Anne, Halls Harbor which has the worlds largest tide change and whale watching on Brier Island which was amazing. We spent between 3 and 4 weeks on Nova Scotia and were not rushed at all.

I could go on and on but will not bore you with all this information. I hope you have a wonderful trip and if I can offer any additional information please let me know. Safe travels!

PanAmPatti and Norman Palmer like this.
  10. PanAmPatti

PanAmPatti
    Expand Collapse

Rayn: You really covered it. Many things I was going to say...especially Peggy's Cove & Lunenburg...I don't need to name them again. We started out from Calif & allowed plenty of time. NS is YUGE with so much to see. PEI is lovely too & I don't think 2 days is at all enough. By the time you get parked & set up that day is gone so one more day is ALMOST not worth it. You'd miss so much. ....and what if there is a weather problem...then you might not get to see what you planned. Try to squeeze more time in....leave earlier than planned from where you begin. I think you'll regret not allowing more time.
    Someone else mentioned that it takes lots of time on PEI to get anywhere because of the two lane , curvy roads. The drive to get anywhere is beautiful though.

11. acadiandave

acadiandave
    Expand Collapse

Confederation bridge is an easy cross, no issues. Inverness Beach Village Cape Breton Nova Scotia has wonderful Rv spots, a beautiful beach, warm water, and Beach Glass! Highly recommend it. It is close to the Cabot trail. Inverness is close by and has what you will need. Make sure you bring Beer and Wine as the Atlantic provinces are very expensive for this. Winter Harbour Maine, Mainstay cottages and RV were excellent as well. But they only have a few spots, Winter Harbour is a cute town and is close to The Quiet part of Acadia National Park.

PanAmPatti likes this.
  12. The Allens

The Allens
    Expand Collapse

We just returned from PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Quebec. We Live in Ontario.

Confederation Bridge is 13km long, ferries and Bridge over to PEI from NB or NS are free, its to comeback when you are charged. The bridge back was $61.00 CDN (pick up truck towing a two axle travel trailer. You can pay debit, cash or credit, they offer an exchange rate for U.S. funds.

The bridge is monitored for wind, traffic and break downs. There is a patrol on the bride as well. Call phones are mounted along the bridge. Speed is posted and monitored.

ferries.ca can provide you with ferry times and rates. Unfortunately we couldn't book the ferry out of Wood Island PEI to Nova Scotia as it was completely booked ($115 CDN) it would have saved us 300km road and 2hrs travel behind the wheel with our plans.

Depending where you stay in PEI you can cover the island in day trips, we stayed in Cavendish.

Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail was fully booked up for places to stay when we tried. Best to set up somewhere in NS and do a day trip in the area. Not recommended to tow on the Cabot trail, best by vehicle.