Traveling west

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Preston E Poole, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Preston E Poole

Preston E Poole
    Expand Collapse

We are going to the Holiday Rambler 4 corners caravan starting September 10th in Sedona Az.

We are starting from Destin Florida on September 3rd. Can anybody offer sujestion on places to stop! Things to see along the way! Plan to travel rt. 10 and do about 300 miles a day stay a couple nights on San Antonio TX have about 7 days to get to Sedona Arizona.

The above will provably be for coming back due to time restraints Going out we would problem go thru Dallas Fort Worth etc.

Any suggestion or advice on where tasty placeless to eat etc. would be very helpful .

Thanks

Preston Poole

prespoole@gmail.com

386-931 8301

#1 Preston E Poole, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

San Antonio: the Alamo, of course (which many people do not realize is in the middle of downtown), but the other missions that are not right downtown are also very interesting. The Riverwalk is beautiful and has tons of restaurants and is about a 2 block walk from the Alamo. Across the street from the Alamo is the Menger Hotel. Teddy Roosevelt recruited Rough Riders in its bar, and it is supposedly haauunted. For local culture go to Market Square. It is not near the Riverwalk but there is a trolley system that will easily get you there. This is a Mexico style market with vendor's booths and restaurants. Two good ones are La Margarita and Mi Tierra which is one of the oldest and best Tex-Mex restaurants in the city. It also has a great bakery. Hope you have fun.

3. Jack B

Jack B
    Expand Collapse

I-10!! Wait, before you get to San Antonio, do you mind start and stop?
    I've got two for you right on I-10. For food try Barbecue at "Lum's" in Junction. Junction also has a highly rated RV park that you will find on this site, if that fits your 300mi scheme. If not, you must get the brisket at Lum's, at least.
    Then,on your way east to San Antonio, watch for Comfort. Comfort is truly a step back in time.
    An amazing, preserved little town that has kept the old town intact. Maybe because,for as big as it is, it is unincorporated, and so there was no city council to decide to go modern. Also a very well know restaurant with a line out the door.
    Kerrville is also on I-10. It is a big, hustle-bustle town in case you need supplies from big stores.

And...if you want just a purely tourist town for just the fun of walking and gawking, eating well, shopping too much and topping it off with wine tasting, you could leave I-10 just a bit and try Fredericksburg. But you would have to pick a park, there is even a new one, Fredericksburg is definitely a stay over. If you are interested in the Pacific Theatre of WWII then you will disappear into the Admiral Nimitz Foundation Museum of the Pacific War. It is amazing, and where the men go while the women shop.

4. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I'm confused with the time constrains comment. Distance wise the 1-10 route is only about 150 miles longer and it doesn't require going "uphill" from Dallas to NM to Sedona.

But if you do go that route, and have time, I would suggest the Stockyards in Fort Worth. Good eating places and interesting to walk around.

I agree with all the texasrvers suggested with the except of the bar being haunted. Ghosts never bothered me there. :) You will have to use a parking lot in downtown SA and know that none are free.

The Nimitz Museum is in the town of Fredericksburg which is a a great place to visit as you can see by the number of campgrounds review on this website.

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Oops, I didn't explain that clearly enough. It is the hotel area (lobby, halls, rooms especially those in the the older part) that is supposed to be haunted . Ghosts wouldn't be caught dead in the bar.:p

6. Youngcop

Youngcop
    Expand Collapse

Hey Preston, we are headed to Colorado from St. Pete, FL at the end of the month. I have broken the trip down and here is where we are staying along the way.

1. TLC Wolf River Resort, 23098 Freddie Frank Rd, Pass-Christian, MS.

Link to resort: http://www.tlcwolfriverresort.com/home.html

2. Beaver Dam Campground/Caney Lakes Recreation Center, 194 Caney Lake Park Rd., Minden, LA.

Link to resort: http://www.recreation.gov/camping/b...oundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72341

3. Roman Nose State Park, 3236 S. Hwy 8A, Watonga, OK.

Link to resort: https://www.gocampok.com/campground/app/park_details.php?PARK_ID=16

4. Hidden Valley Resort, 844B State Highway 333, Tijeras, NM.

Link to resort: http://www.hiddenvalley-rvpark.com/

5. Molas Lake Campground, US Highway 550, Silverton, CO.

Link to resort: http://www.molaslake.com/reservations.html

Has anyone else ever stayed at any of these resorts? Feedback?

Thanks,
    Chris

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

If you will look up these campgrounds in our listings, you will see that quite a few of our members have reviewed them and given good descriptions and tips.

8. fanrgs

fanrgs
    Expand Collapse

Chris, have you ever driven US 550 north from Durango to Silverton? Or even worse, from Silverton to Ouray? That's the second scariest paved road in Colorado for big rigs after Independence Pass.

If not, you might want to get some opinions on that route from some other forum members who have taken their RVs through there. But I don't want to hijack this thread, so you might want to put your route in a new thread before asking your questions.