good generator

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Lisaand Smokey, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Lisaand Smokey

Lisaand Smokey
    Expand Collapse

need help picking out a good generator, any info is greatly appreciated. wattage, fuel type, brand, etc
    thanks a lot you bunch of varmints

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

You have asked a very open-ended question for which there is no unique answer. Perhaps if you told us more about your situation and your needs we would be able to provide more assistance,

Lisaand Smokey likes this.
  3. DiamondJim

DiamondJim
    Expand Collapse

You get what you pay for. Honda and Yamaha make very reliable and quiet generators. There are other generators that are copies that are made in China, but they are not as reliable, There are very cheap "contractor grade" generators that are loud and usually have an alternator instead of an inverter design. Inverter designs generate Direct current and then transform it into Alternating current at the proper frequency. ALternator designs require the engine to run at a constant RPM to keep the alternating frequency at the required rate, therefore they tend to be louder at part load and use more fuel.

4. acadiandave

acadiandave
    Expand Collapse

My buddy bought a Yamaha 2500. it would not run our 30 amp TT air conditioner as it was suppost to. He sold it and purchased a pair of linkable 2000 Champions, They are quiet, start well and run the A/C. Their stacking and link system are the nicest out there...

5. scooterrooter

scooterrooter
    Expand Collapse

We use generators all the time at work. You can pretty well bet that if it says Honda or yamaha that it's a good one!

6. DiamondJim

DiamondJim
    Expand Collapse

A 2500 Watt generator of any brand is good for about 20 Amps at the rated voltage (2500 Watts divided by 120 Volts) , so if you had an air conditioner that drew 30 amps, the voltage from the generator would drop very low trying to get the fan and compressor running.and would trip the breaker in the generator if it is equipped with one. You need to check the start and run current requirements of your air conditioner before selecting a generator. In the attached file I have recorded the power consumption of various RV appliances while they are running as measured in my RV.
    The power and current were measured at the input to the RV. Note the voltage drop when the Air is on. This is due to the voltage drop in the extension cord I was using due to the high amperage.

Attached Files:

Lisaand Smokey and RickB like this.
  7. Lisaand Smokey

Lisaand Smokey
    Expand Collapse

I'm looking for something we can count on to power our tt while boondocking \dry camping. I'd rather have to much as not enough. Thanks

8. Geppetto

Geppetto
    Expand Collapse

I can only offer one data point.
    Just bought a Kohler GEN5.0 actually rated at 4300VA continuous.
    Since it has a split winding the output is 120V-0V-120V you get 240V between the 2 120V poles. That means that the maximum current is 18A @240V.
    If you need 36A at 120V and can not split your load between two separate 120V circuit you can not get 4300VA but you are limited to 18A x120V = 2150VA. Since I never need 240V I decided to rewire it by placing the 2 winding in parallel (rather than in series as they are). However this is less than ideal situation. For those that question the use of VA (VoltAmper) as a unit of measure, instead of Watts, let me say is the proper unit for rating a generator, for most applications confusing one with the other makes little difference. Other than misleading specs., the generator is well made and started on the first pull.

9. Lisaand Smokey

Lisaand Smokey
    Expand Collapse

I'm looking for a inverter generator around and about 4000 peak and 3800 continuous.

10. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

11. Lisaand Smokey

Lisaand Smokey
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. I've been looking at these, also doing research on others. I've narrowed it down to 4 brands, but open to any help. Generac, champion, Honda, Yamaha. There's others, but with mixed owner reviews.

12. Jetfixer03

Jetfixer03
    Expand Collapse

I've got a Yamaha 4500 for work, it's been bulletproof for 2 years, and like most inverter generators quiet and fuel efficient. But, as we'll be setting out on our first trailer camping season, i'm hesitant to take my $$$ unit camping. I'm considering getting a Champion for camping. WAY cheaper, but I was surprised to see that tons of campers have them and mostly great reviews. I haven't looked into Generac, but they've dominated forever in commercial generators.

13. franklyn4

franklyn4
    Expand Collapse

Have a Yamaha 3000iSEB for 4 years now, and it runs strong until now.

14. jfak7670

jfak7670
    Expand Collapse

My choice is a Westinghouse iPro4200 inverter generator. It's durable, relatively portable (99 pounds) and versatile as well. I always use it when I go camping and as a home back-up power source. To my mind, it is quieter than many other models with the same power. I saw that you narrowed down your choice to some certain brands, but pay attention to this gen as well.

15. WooodSI

WooodSI
    Expand Collapse

I agree, it's a great radiator. Tested on my own experience. What do you say about the air conditioner? In summer, the campsite can be very hot, we have an old portable air conditioner, which is long overdue to change. Moreover, it often breaks down, so we had to call servicing to fix it every 2 months. So, comfort is very important to me. Besides, I can't stand the heat. Could you be kind to advise me on a good air conditioner, inexpensive, but of high quality.

16. Phil&Tina

Phil&Tina
    Expand Collapse

Try the Harbor Frieght Predator 3500. Can stand next to it and have a normal conversation, it's that quiet.

17. mark995

mark995
    Expand Collapse

I'd suggest DuroStar DS400S.
    • The DS4000s is Powered by a DuroStar 7.0 Hp, air cooled OHV engine w/low oil shutoff.
    • Includes a selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including: 2 120V household outlets and 1 120V 30A twist lock outlet.
    • FUEL TANK CAPACITY (GASOLINE): 3.96 GALLONS

18. Richard3

Richard3
    Expand Collapse

On the off chance that you need the best home use generator, at that point you should search for a quiet generator as quiet generator won't upset you in your rest and this quiet generator will assist you with taking the grant and all things considered, your neighbor won't make any sorts of issue in the event of a grant because of its low commotion for that I think best low clamor generator will be the suitable decision for you.

19. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Err....:rolleyes: What did he just say? Sorry but I am having a tad of trouble understanding the way it's worded..........??? Just exactly what is a :"low clamor" generator if I may ask......??? Also I was't aware we needed a "grant" to buy one? Pardon me but we need some clarification here me thinks..............

BTW, welcome to the forum............BankShot

Fun finders likes this.
  20. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this post