Rotary stove igniter problem

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by BigCor, Sep 12, 2016.

1. BigCor

BigCor
    Expand Collapse

hi there, I'm wondering if this part wears out over time. We are having trouble lighting the stove with this knob. I can see that the igniters are sparking, but I don't know if the sparks should be more robust.
    Is there potentially a different issue that I should be looking at?
    Thanks in advance!
    Cory
    Oh and before I get any jokers saying to check that I haven't run out of gas, it works fine once I get my lighter.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I replaced our unreliable rotary "bang, bang" igniter with an electronic push-button igniter using a replacement kit I found in the BBQ grill section at Walmart for less than $20. Now we have a stronger spark and no annoying noise.

Meyer Camping and BigCor like this.
  3. BigCor

BigCor
    Expand Collapse

Was the kit for a bbq? I'm very interested, and what a great idea! Thanks for the reply
    Cory

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

This is the kit I bought at Walmart, although the price has gone up slightly since I got it a couple of years ago. It comes with the electrodes for three burners, but I just used the existing electrodes from the rotary setup.

Onward Grill Pro Universal Electronic Igniter

5. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

I have the same problem but decided it was easy enough to just keep a bbq lighter beside the stove to light the burners.

HappiestCamper likes this.
  6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

My wife has arthritis that makes operating a BBQ lighter painful. Just pushing the igniter button makes it easier for her to use the stove.

Wildfire likes this.
  7. franklyn4

franklyn4
    Expand Collapse

The Universal Electronic Ignitor Kit is not expensive, though I only use a bbq lighter for now.